Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
EDIT: (hopefully) improved instructions

1) Extract DropinFirmwareMod.zip to a folder (We'll say it's a folder called "DropinFirmwareMod" for convenience).
2) Use 7zip to open a "stock" Pandigital update zip (such as S10_07_24_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip).
3) Go into the DropinFirmwareMod folder, select all folders there, and drag them into the 7zip window.
4) 7Zip should update the Pandigital update zip with the items you just dragged in.
5) Flash the altered firmware zip normally.

Hey all, Here's something I've been working on. It's going pretty well, but a few things are still broken so I figured I'd post it here and see if anyone had any luck.

WHAT IS IT:

It is a directory structure matching the setup of PDN's update zip files. The updater-script has been tweaked to run a few more things. As of right now it will copy over any additional files/dirs from system/data in the root of this structure. So, if you want to have an app installed as part of a flash, drop it into the /data/app dir (I have SetCPU there as an example).

WHAT DO I DO WITH IT:

Open a PDN update zip using a program that supports drag and drop (I use 7Zip). Drag the folder structure into the PDN update, push over the updated zip file, and flash!

WHAT DOES IT DO:

Currently, it has additional files in /system to install the Google Experience and Volume Hack off the bat. I even fixed the broken youtube
. As mentioned, there's also a data dir as well.

WHAT IS BROKEN:

1) I had a working gls.db in the appropriate place in the data directory structure, but it doesn't seem to work. My guess is that it gets blown away and rebuilt at some point on first boot. Doh. If we can find a way to support that it would be great.
2) I am pushing over a copy of "sh" as "su" and attempting to set permissions correctly, but it didn't seem to work.
3) I am hoping the we will be able to have a custom script runner that can execute additional commands, but it doesn't seem to be working now. Ideally, the script file "run_custom_scripts.sh" would execute all scripts in the "custom_scripts" directory after the flash completes. This way, people could pick and choose what hacks they want and drop them in (I'm thinking of stuff like "set_root.sh","enable_nook_install.sh".....whatever) So, have at it!

If you want to make tweaks, you'll probably want to look at updater-script and start there.

If you make what you feel are some good improvements, please post them here so they can be incorporated, and we can all share!

PLEASE resist the urge to go nuts releasing custom roms. My vision for this is that people will maintain a setup of this the way THEY want it, and then drop it into the new firmware zip whenever one is released. Try to keep an eye on keeping things FLEXIBLE (which was the point of stuff the custom_scripts dir, even if it isn't currently working), as opposed to hardcoding in 50 variations of "clockworx's custom rom with stock launcher", "clockworx's custom rom with launcher pro", "clockworx's custom rom, pandahome, nook enabled, no root". See how messy that can get?

Anyways, hope you guys find this neat, and lets see what we can do! DropinFirmwareMod.zip

·
Registered
120 Posts
Nice, thanks for this. I've been messing around with my PDN the last two days since I've had it, but I'm going to reset to default and will try your mod tomorrow.Does this happen to have marketplace working as well?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually, I was just playing with it and my market is having a different issue than before (download succeeds, install fails). May be a permissions issue.I think it has a lot of potential, just not quite there yet

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Fixed after commenting out the data copy portion. Looks like I'll need to tweak that part as well.

Anyone know how to determine user IDs on android? I know all of /system (and I think all of /data too) is chowned as user system, group system, but the script only allows the entering of an int user ID.

402 /* set_perm <uid> <gid> <mode> <path> [... <pathN>]
403 * set_perm_recursive <uid> <gid> <dir-mode> <file-mode> <path> [... <pathN>]
404 *
405 * Like "chmod", "chown" and "chgrp" all in one, set ownership and permissions
406 * of single files or entire directory trees. Any error causes failure.
407 * User, group, and modes must all be integer values (hex or octal OK).
408 */

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
For anyone still following this, I have data working a bit better. /data/system/accounts.db contains your android login (and possibly other logins if you have them, which I don't). I dropped that into my firmware and flashed, and it was already set up on first boot. (It still blew away my android ID though....grrr). Dropping the optimized libdvm should work as well.Here's an updated updater-script of what I'm using now. (Remove .txt from the end, it wouldn't let me upload without it)

·
Registered
846 Posts
clockworx.. thanks so much for all that you are doing here.. As a nubie, however, I am confused.. I have read the entire board several times and my head is swimming.. there seem to be several parallel efforts going on and I am having a problem keeping them all straight..Would it be too much trouble for you to summarize what your script does.. what the result will be in terms of PDN functionality and what, if any, issues still exist..

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
davidr said:
clockworx.. thanks so much for all that you are doing here.. As a nubie however, I am confused.. I have read the entire board several times and my head is swimming.. there seem to be several parallel efforts going on and I am having a problem keeping them all straight..Would it be too much trouble for you to summarize what your script does.. what the result will be in terms of PDN functionality and what, if any, issues still exist..
The first post answers all of these questions. Is there a specific point you need addressed?

·
Registered
67 Posts
OK, I used the drop=in=firmware method and added a couple of files from the "Ultimate" collection.

Findings: The method seems to work well but some of the installed files/apps don't work as follows:

No Lock 1.03 force closes/doesn't work - uininstalled it
EStrongs File Explorer - can't find settings and also force closes
but overall this seems a valuable way to start installing apps - now I installed App Monster and will try to install my one faves.

Thanks to clockworx for this valuable tool

·
Registered
666 Posts
Hey clockworx,Does this drop-in firmware do the root mod? I have been tinkering with this setup, and it appears that the set_perm isn't actually changing the permissions on the /system/bin/su file. Also the file copy reswults (shown by minzip) appear to come late in the recovery.log. It is as if the set_perm is happening before the directory(s) are finished extracting(copying). Just wondering if you experienced this as well.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
Just an FYI, this method also works if you open the stock FW zip on a Mac with Stuffit Expander's Browser Mode (full version of Stuffit needed, not the free one) and do the drop-ins there. It won't unpack the .img files correctly though -- even though it thinks it can. Learning that the hard way is how I came to appreciate BB&B's no-questions exchange policy when I broke the wifi.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I know you are busy working on other things, I appreciate the response. Are you developing in a Windows or Linux Environment? I cant manipulate teh file in windows Fat32 dumps the file permissions. Do you think it would be possilble to perform the rooting via. ADB and then zip (7zip or gzip) up the file /system/bin/su. The updater-script (FUSE) will extract (minzip) the files. Would keeping the su file inside a .zip retain the file permissions?

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I mostly dev in windows, though I have to switch over to linux for compiles and whatnot. Anyways, I unfortunately have no idea if it would work or not. The best approach, so far as I know, would probably be to keep a copy of "sh" renamed to "su" in the DropinFirmwareMod, and take a shot at fixing it properly via the updater-script.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.