Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not much of a surprise here. I took a close at the docking connector this morning and the pin-out is very close to that of the ipod. So here goes:pin 1 & 2: groundpin 3: audio out rightpin 4: audio out leftpin 7: hmmmm connect to mb but no correlation to ipod.pin 9: 5Vpin 10: 5Vpin 12: USB2 -datapin 13: USB2 +datapin 14 - 16: Groundpin 18: 3.3Vpin 23: 5V USBpin 25: USB -datapin 27: USB +datapin 29 & 30: groundpins 5, 6, 8, 11, 17,19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28: NCFor those who were looking for an additional USB port: doesn't look like there is one. I'm still investigating pin 7 - I'll let you know if I discover anything. The serial port on pins 12 & 13: probably to apple's spec which say no more than 3.3v. That's all for now.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cross-referenced against the ipod pin outs available everywhere. So with the eken open, and trusty logic probe and multimeter in hand, I confirmed the voltages/signals - did a few continuity checks to be sure. Looks like eken wants this device to be compatible with at least some ipod accessories. There is no 12 volt though, so I don't think any of the chargers, or docks with charges will charge the device.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is, I think, that the Ipod charges with 12 volts. We charge with 9. I would hesitate to make those connections.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I think that the pins that Ipod use for Firewire the designers of Ekems could use for the second USB.The Specs of the procesor talk about 2 Usb devices and 1 Usb host with Hub integrated, so 1 Usb devices it is used for the wifi, 1 Usb Host it is used by the cable that comes with the product and the missing Usb device may be in the pins reserved for the firewire in the original ipod connector.The spec of the Wm8505 also talk about integrated PS2 keyboard and mouse controller, so can be that some of the pins can be used to connect a PS2 Keyboard and Mouse.Sorry but i dont have a Ipod-dock cable extender to cut and test the pins.Thanks for your findings.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@notbuyekenm001 The firewire pins are not Not Connected (NC). Believe me, I want there to be a second usb port on the docking connector, but at least on my M001, it isn't there. Now if anyone gets the pinout for the DDR2 CPU module, we might be back in business.

·
Registered
224 Posts
[quote author=donaldson link=topic=182.msg1543#msg1543 date=1274553337]Problem is, I think, that the Ipod charges with 12 volts. We charge with 9. I would hesitate to make those connections.[/quote]iphones charge with 5v

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But ours charge with 9v. Even our batteries put out 7.4 volts. But if your right then theoretically, i device should begin to charge when the USB docking connector is pluged in to a computer. Does it? I've never thought to check because I just didn't think it would.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Regardless of what battery the iPhone uses, it charges over USB, therefore 5V.New iPods require 5V also, they display "Accessory not supported" for 12V chargers. Really Old iPods require 12V, Old'ish iPods support support both 12V/5V, but sometimes you update the firmware and the 12V capability is disabled because Apple are evil. (There official response is "It's safer")

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Huge update, boys and girls (with credit to Bushing who encourage me to look again):pin 1 & 2: groundpin 3: audio out rightpin 4: audio out leftpin 7: hmmmm connect to mb but no correlation to ipod.pin 9: 5Vpin 10: 5Vpin 12: USB2 -datapin 13: USB2 +datapin 14 - 16: Groundpin 18: 3.3Vpin 23: 5V USBpin 25: USB -datapin 27: USB +datapin 29 & 30: groundpins 5, 6, 8, 11, 17,19, 20, 21, 22, 24, 26, 28: NCThat's right. The second USB port is on pins 12 and 13!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts