Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone considered a DIY tablet involving pico-ITX/nano-itx board, lilliput touch-screen, custom case, charging circuit, and netbook battery?obviously it would be a bit bigger and more expensive.. but it maybe worth it? :confused:

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Hell I'd be up for that. Smallest form factor I've worked with would be Mini-ITX. Could make for an interesting project, and would also expand what OSes you could stick on it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did a project like this awhile back, never really finished it though. I basically took my old Asus EEE 701 soldered a usb touchscreen onto some headers on the motherboard and flipped the top half around so the screen faced out. It actually worked pretty decent. I didn't really take enough time to make the case look professional, but it was aright. The challenge was getting software that played nice with everything. I was using ubuntu, but with work I'm sure someone could run one of those x86 android ports on it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i had a similar idea before this.. my HP w2207 had quite a bit of space in the back of the case (its a monitor.. not a pc)...I think I could fit a pico-ITX in to it.. I can get a 22" usb touch screen kit on ebay and power the pc and monitor with some kinda small power strip.. not the most mobile of ideas.. but I think it would be ok if I were sitting on a couch or in a recliner.. It has a vga dsub and dvi.. so i could make some sorta cradle style thing and still use it at my desk while the pico is still on..I think the 22" would be a cheaper starting point for me.. I need a core 2 quad for my desktop first

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found a MIMO 7" usb touch screen display on ebay for ~$149 and a barebones pico on google shopping... the display and the barebones totaled about $412..it had a 1ghz via nano and support for 2gb ddr2 (the laptop type) some kind of via integrated..graphics... D=IDK how the usb monitors work.. but i would guess it is a usb display adapter as well?though.. if the via graphics are better than the usb powered display adapter.. it might be cheaper to find a small touch display with dsub..?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.