Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone mentioned that they bought/were buying 5 eken m001s.. It would be neat to use a distributed Xserver hooking them all together.. the guy didnt seem as enthused as me about it... but...it would be neat!I could build a custom distro for it...if i had some guidelines or how-tos...any ideas?Kinda would like to make one aside from that, too.. idk where to start.. especially with building the images and using the binary drivers.. things are rather spread out on how to actually compile firmware..or maybe I'm just not looking in the right places..I'd likely not be coding anything.. just want to customize an image with the apps and things that i'd like..I've built a kernel before.. but i mainly used make menuconfig or w/e and it was for x86_64 proc......i need sleep.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I would not recommend doing that over wifi. You would need Ethernet. Interestingly our device does report a PCI ethernet device, so maybe there are pinouts on the connector like there are for USB. You could also use usb ethernet dongles. I don't think it would be economical though. I am going to start importing 1ghz 10" tablets. I'll be selling them for $200. 5 m001's would cost $400. I could think of some good uses of the m001 as thinclients.As far as custom distros, I really hope you will try it. My release is really just a base, there is so much room to make a really cool OS with all the UI tweaks and apps to compete with android. For one I really wish could add a way to scroll in X11 using touch and drag instead of the scroll-bar.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tell me more of this tablet =OI'm guessing it's not possible to mount the image and chroot it on a 64-bit debian desktop?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Search eBay for 10" ZT-180. I'll be able to beat all the Chinese sellers prices since I import regular containers and won't have to pay for expensive international shipping to each customer. They are really nice tablets; but alas it will probably be 6 weeks before I have them in stock.No, it's not possible to chroot into a different architecture. You can use qemu to emulate armel, but you have to netboot the kernel--too much trouble for me. It's much easier to just ssh into the m001, and do everything right on the device. You can certainly use a chrooted environment on the m001, that's how I was able to install squeeze. But everything is really really slow. Most people use a cross compiler tool-chain to build apps, but in this case the Debian repos have binaries for most everything we need.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey.. that tablet looks great... mind sharing where you would get these in bulk? Doesn't have to be these exact ones.. not trying to snatch your customers... but I like selling things on ebay. I just sold a TI-84 Plus Silver Edition and XM radio receiver.. I can never find anything to sell.. anyway..what would the price on a 'container' of something like this cost and what do you expect the return to be?I'm still being busy... running around like crazy being a volunteer intern for a new web dev company.. Somehow I'm lead developer.. amongst other things lol..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts