Android Tablets Forum banner
161 - 180 of 207 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Thanks smithmail.
I'm reeding the 3d.
Atm I can enter in recovery using terminal emulator and script or using the reboot system of cm9 rom ( press power button -> reboot -> recovery ).

In an other post I've read that can be reboot in recovery using adb.
But ... I've to install any drivers to do this?
Yes, you'll need to download a SDK pack as wells as USB drivers so that you're PC can recognize the tablet. I use adb with my archos to push new ROMs. Once you download the SDK pack and the correct USB drivers, you should be able to push/manipulate files in the OndaVi40 if that's what your after.

A link discussing adb install and interaction am Archos G9 tablet can be found in the link below. You should be able to find OndaVi40 drivers from TNT's page on Onda ROM flashing linked on post # 158

http://www.slatedroi...rooting-the-g9-/

smithmal

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got CM9 installed. Question...

Is there a way to get rid of the phone signal strength icon that sits next to the wi-fi signal icon?
Also, do I need to have a bluetooth dongle attached to turn on Bluetooth?
Thanks!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Thanks smithmail.
I'm reeding the 3d.
Atm I can enter in recovery using terminal emulator and script or using the reboot system of cm9 rom ( press power button -> reboot -> recovery ).

In an other post I've read that can be reboot in recovery using adb.
But ... I've to install any drivers to do this?
There's also a free app called "Quick Boot" that can be used to reboot into recovery mode. It won't be needed anymore once CM9 is installed as the option will be included in the menu appearing when holding the Power button.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got CM9 installed. Question...

Is there a way to get rid of the phone signal strength icon that sits next to the wi-fi signal icon?
Also, do I need to have a bluetooth dongle attached to turn on Bluetooth?
Thanks!
Hi - on my Vi40 I have to put in bluetooth dongle for about 5 seconds, then the bluetooth can be turned on.
Also connected an Ipad bluetooth keyboard - lovely. Also got the nordic letters to work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just installed this, very impressive. Much smoother UI and browsing than Onda's own roms. Odd thing though, my vi40 has the serial number of a v1 tablet, but v1 roms don't work (upsdie down, touch screen doesn't work). V3 roms work fine.

Used the latest nightly (cm9_nightly_20120721.zip) and the vi40_compatibility_1.2.0.zip from here:
http://www.androidfilehost.com/main/Allwinner_A10_Developers/christiantroy/misc/1.2.x/
(apparently compatibility_1.2.0 is needed from 2012/07/11 nightly onwards)

The battery use is a little hefty though. Settings/battery says wi-fi 50%, screen 30%, idle 8% - is the wifi perhaps transmitting at too high a power and eating battery life? I'm pretty near to the router most of the time with it, really good signal, wifi 54g.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

I have the original ONDA firmware 404 1.4RC3
I m trying to install de last CM9 from Recovery mode "Android System recovery<3e>"
when I install CM9 evrything is ok
but when I install gapps.zip I have an error message E:"signature verification fail" (I tried of cours to download an other file but i have all the time the same error.

Do you have any Idea ?
Do I need CWM5 ?
If I have to install CWM5, whow can I do ?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm running CyanogenMod9 20120624 on a Vi40 V3 with Vi40 compatibility 1.1. The BlueTooth adapter is a cheap generic one with no name - one of those very cheap semicircular ones from Amazon.co.uk. (Cheap, yes, but I had to buy two before I got one that worked!)

Tonight, I powered up my Vodafone BT GPS module, and was able to connect to it and pair with it (from System Settings>Bluetooth). You then need to run an app to enable your mapping/location apps to see your BT GPS. I used Bluetooth GPS Provider. Also, in System Settings>Developer Options, enable "Allow mock locations". Having done that, Google Maps showed me pretty much my exact location, much more accurate than the coarse location it previously showed without GPS. I plan to try it on the road as soon as I can.

Hope that helps.
I discovered a very strange, but helpful quirk in my quest for GPS connectivity on my VI40elite. I can actually use an USB dongle instead of a BT one. Here's what happened:

I used the 'Bluetooth GPS provider' App with a bluetooth dongle, but I couldn't connect any bluetooth gps dongle with my tab.
I decided to remove the bluetooth adapter and try an USB GPS dongle instead. I just plugged it in, and voila it worked!

great!

But how?

After some experimenting, I found out that I left the "Bluetooth gps provider" app running when I pulled out the bluetooth adapter. This causes the app to freak out, but when you insert an USB GPS device it will cause it to work fine. Inserting, and then removing the bluetooth adapter everytime I want to use the USB gps device, is a little cumbersome though... So after some more experimenting I found a method to make it work, without first using the bluetooth adapter:

(-enable "allow mock locations" @ developer options)
-insert USB GPS dongle.
-launch the app, it will come up with a window asking you to enable bluetooth.
-just hit the back button, and you will be able to click "start".

This will cause minor freaking in your notifications tray, but it will also cause the USB GPS dongle to work.
I'm thinking, it should be very possible to make an app for USB GPS dongles.

The Dongle I tried is the BU-303 from globalsat, on the AOKP rom.
I wonder if this works on any other roms? Maybe even other tablets? Maybe someone can give it a go on the CM9 rom?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

I have the original ONDA firmware 404 1.4RC3
I m trying to install de last CM9 from Recovery mode "Android System recovery<3e>"
when I install CM9 evrything is ok
but when I install gapps.zip I have an error message E:"signature verification fail" (I tried of cours to download an other file but i have all the time the same error.

Do you have any Idea ?
Do I need CWM5 ?
If I have to install CWM5, whow can I do ?

Thanks
I had the same problems, some of the required .zip files could not be installed due to the signature verification error. It turned out, the originally installed recovery SW can not do this, so you need a CWMxxx. If you install a stock image using LiveSuite, the recovery area gets overwritten, even if you happen to have a CWM installed on it previously.

This is what you can do if you have a working stock image with the original recovery on it:
- install and boot in to the CWM, using the many times described terminal method by copying the CWM data first to the internal sdcard
- now you can install a CM9 nightly build AND the neccessary additional zips
- the CWM recovery will stay on your device until you flash the whole thing again with a stock image using LiveSuite
- from here when you boot in to recovery with the HW button combination, you get in to the CWM5xx menue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have another question. I would like to make a whole backup (using CWM) of the current state of my tablet to an external sdcard, to be able to easy recover if something goes wrong. I am running CM9 0711 now, the CWM recovery installed is v5504.

When I try to do a backup, it stops at the /data section, telling "error while making a backup image of /data!".
Some backup gets written, so it is not a mounting problem and the SDHC I am using is big enough.

Any idea how to fix it?

Could it help to install a new version of CWM?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks Christian for the wonderful work.

As another user before, although my tablet was supposed to be V1, I installed latest CM and compatibility 1.2 with good results and everything runs well.

I am a happy user now

·
Registered
60 Posts
I had the same problems, some of the required .zip files could not be installed due to the signature verification error. It turned out, the originally installed recovery SW can not do this, so you need a CWMxxx. If you install a stock image using LiveSuite, the recovery area gets overwritten, even if you happen to have a CWM installed on it previously.

This is what you can do if you have a working stock image with the original recovery on it:
- install and boot in to the CWM, using the many times described terminal method by copying the CWM data first to the internal sdcard
- now you can install a CM9 nightly build AND the neccessary additional zips
- the CWM recovery will stay on your device until you flash the whole thing again with a stock image using LiveSuite
- from here when you boot in to recovery with the HW button combination, you get in to the CWM5xx menue.
I also had this problem ,there must be a version of CWM already installed with chinese roms ,But i think the reason why it was doing it was because i didnt copy the 3 CWM files to the root directory of the internal sd card ,i only copied 2 .Have u got the 3 files on the internal root?

Mark

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi guys!

When it comes to the new "cm9_nightly_20120721.zip" with "onda vi40 compatability 1.2.zip", since I flashed it onto my onda Vi40elite, I have experienced random crashes several times. As far as I know, I cannot reproduce it. So I am unalbe to say about what makes my onda drive into those crashes.

When it is crashed, it usually reboots automatically, and there is no other symptoms.

I hope that this report could be any help to refine the CM9 for onda vi40 elite.

Merkatz

·
Registered
5 Posts
Regarding the verification problem, I had the same but I didn't follow the procedure as I should and I end up wit ha messed up tablet.

Then I ran Livesuit, loaded the TNT image and then did exactly as Christian says (but I loaded latest nightly 0721 with compatibility 1.2) and everything was fine.

Just be careful with serial numbers. there are a lot mislabeled tablets. If you cannot work with V1 image go to V3 and everything will be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Can users who have flashed with the AOKP ROM let us know how the Onda is responding? I've got the CM9 ROM on mine and love it except for the battery drainage issue. I'd really be interested in trying the AOKP ROM out but have a couple questions.

1. Is battery drainage better with AOKP vs. CM9? I've read that AOKP is very fluid and very well optimized in terms of battery drainage (with it's Battery Saver option). Is this the case when flashing to the Onda vi40?
2. Am I correct in no compatibility file is needed for the AOKP ROM?
3. What's working/not working on the Onda with the AOKP ROM?
4. How's internet browsing with AOKP?
5. Where can I find the changelog info on AOKP builds?

Anyone on the fence on AOKP or unsure of what it is, the links below will educate you.

Here's a decent review of AOKP
Here's a decent video review of AOKP

smithmal

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi guys further to Smithmal's questions, just curious if any of you using AOKP still get tablet not responding "wait close ok" messages. I'm using CM9 and still get it often (but not as often as onda original 1.2).

Cheers,
Jonny

·
Registered
22 Posts
Think I have found the answer!!! From within a Vi30 forum by member SymphonyX7:

"At last! I have finally found the culprit that causes the "<Application name> is not responding" error. It's the stock ICS browser that's causing ALL the commotion. I've prevented the stock ICS browser from ever running and having any background processes. All is well now and I never get that ridiculous error. I am now using Opera Mobile 11.5.3 as 11.5.4 and higher is oddly slower on ICS + Cortex A8 devices. Opera Mobile is an absolute blast and given the 1 GB RAM on this Vi30W Ultimate, I can open 5 or more tabs without any problems or lag! I get the desktop browsing �experience on this now. Quite amazing how removing that tiny "hiccup" made the Vi30W Ultimate experience a whole lot better. This has totally changed my outlook on this device. Now, all that needs fixing is the battery life."

I have frozen the stock browser within titanium backup and insalled Opera. Only used for 20-30 minutes but no major hangs or not responding errors so it looks promising...

SPREAD THE WORD as this was doing my head in!!!!!!! and was the last real issue I had. Will be a happy chappy if this solves it

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
J5B,

This is very promising news. Can you elaborate any on why the stock browser is causing these issues? I will try this out as well and let you know if I see the same behavior after the stock browser is frozen via TB.

smithmal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Think I have found the answer!!! From within a Vi30 forum by member SymphonyX7:

"At last! I have finally found the culprit that causes the "<Application name> is not responding" error. It's the stock ICS browser that's causing ALL the commotion. I've prevented the stock ICS browser from ever running and having any background processes. All is well now and I never get that ridiculous error. I am now using Opera Mobile 11.5.3 as 11.5.4 and higher is oddly slower on ICS + Cortex A8 devices. Opera Mobile is an absolute blast and given the 1 GB RAM on this Vi30W Ultimate, I can open 5 or more tabs without any problems or lag! I get the desktop browsing �experience on this now. Quite amazing how removing that tiny "hiccup" made the Vi30W Ultimate experience a whole lot better. This has totally changed my outlook on this device. Now, all that needs fixing is the battery life."

I have frozen the stock browser within titanium backup and insalled Opera. Only used for 20-30 minutes but no major hangs or not responding errors so it looks promising...

SPREAD THE WORD as this was doing my head in!!!!!!! and was the last real issue I had. Will be a happy chappy if this solves it
Thank you very much! I had alot of troubles browsing but when i froze the stock browser and ran opera instead i never get the application not responding message! I have tried switching to opera before without freezing the stock browser, but then opera browser was really slow to. Really an amazing find!

Skickat från min onda vi40 elite

161 - 180 of 207 Posts