Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well PD may have been beat to the punch as both the archos 7ht and the gentouch released their source. Lets hope they put a fire under their booties....

·
Registered
361 Posts
tyrela;50746 said:
Well PD may have been beat to the punch as both the archos 7ht and the gentouch released their source. Lets hope they put a fire under their booties....
I think PD has to want to compete in that arena. Me thinks they don't. Therefore they are fireproof.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I just noticed that my white PDN is starting to crack, on the sides. This gets better and better.....

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I think Pandigital had a target market-low tech reader peoplex`. The white missed it because it's too heavy and was too buggy. The black missed it because it's a turd with a screen. They have this other great market, but I can't see why they're not cherry-picking it. It MIGHT be that, no ego swelling intended here, we're too "smart". Information travels with PDN users, and it travels fast. The result has been we BROKE their rebate, twice, we ABUSED kohl's discount program and we're hammering BBY's, and we are carping about the cosmetic cracking issue, etc. The device may just not be profitable targeted to the hacking crowd. That said, I'm still working on it. I just got this (because I "just" checked my email for the first time in days.):"Hey – We did have a meeting this week with our development teams and CEO. Our CEO made it clear that he wanted this to happen yesterday and we’re working with the teams to get the code wrapped and released. I knew that the timing on this was going to be uncertain given all of our moving parts –and why I’ve been reticent to give dates from the start. However, I’ll continue to push through the weekend and will share as I have something firm."

·
Registered
27 Posts
The cracks at the corners appear as fine lines at the right hand corner (with the pandigital logo facing up)...so far it has not spreaded to the other corners.Lawrence

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
i have them on all four corners, and one has spread almost halfway around the device. This came out of nowhere as i don't recall seeing them 2 weeks ago. This concerns me because I have no idea how much worse this will get - I might have to take yet another trip to BB&B.

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;51134]i have them on all four corners' date=' and one has spread almost halfway around the device. This came out of nowhere as i don't recall seeing them 2 weeks ago. This concerns me because I have no idea how much worse this will get - I might have to take yet another trip to BB&B.[/QUOTE'] What is the point of exchanging it? I don't think PD has fixed the problem, so any you get will crack. I sent an email to PD support with a link to the OP about the cracking that had pictures. Never heard a work from them. I stated that many here are seeing the problem & would rather not keep returning them until a fix was made. I don't expect to hear any more about it from PD.

·
Registered
576 Posts
tyrela;50746 said:
No they haven't actually released it yet. Just got a compressed archive(343MB) unzipped to 899MB of random crap, but they're supposed to be trying to get the actual source out of them today as their supplier works on Saturdays...

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='cutterjohn;51144]No they haven't actually released it yet. Just got a compressed archive(343MB) unzipped to 899MB of random crap' date=' but they're supposed to be trying to get the actual source out of them today as their supplier works on Saturdays...[/QUOTE'] Haha, can you elaborate more on what the "random crap" is? Sounds hilarious. I was curious, but didn't bother to DL it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Random libs, daemons, and a couple apps IIRC... funnily enough a goodly number of them were Apache licensed so they didn't have to send them at all... it's... just... ... amazing ...[EDIT] Still hopeful that Daniel can get them to cough up... as they were supposed to have done... ...also hope that he checks it himself before posting it next time ... [/EDIT]

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
[quote name='bugeyed;51140]What is the point of exchanging it? I don't think PD has fixed the problem' date=' so any you get will crack. I sent an email to PD support with a link to the OP about the cracking that had pictures. Never heard a work from them. I stated that many here are seeing the problem & would rather not keep returning them until a fix was made. I don't expect to hear any more about it from PD.[/QUOTE']You assumed I meant exchanging it. I actually meant returning it and getting my money back. I'm so fed up with Pandigital right now that I am considering it - the cracking plastic might be the final nail in the coffin for me. They were the only game in town two months ago, but that's going to change in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;51203]You assumed I meant exchanging it. I actually meant returning it and getting my money back. I'm so fed up with Pandigital right now that I am considering it - the cracking plastic might be the final nail in the coffin for me. They were the only game in town two months ago' date=' but that's going to change in the next few weeks.[/QUOTE'] Oh! How long, after purchase, do we have to return it?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I think that BB&B's return policies are pretty liberal (especially if I make a stink about the hardware defect). I assume they might deduct $20 from the rebate, but that's fine.I'm still mulling over it -- it's one thing if the hardware is not fully utilized, since it's still usable in its current form. But these cracks occurred very quickly and I do have a concern that they will get worse over time.

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;51285]I think that BB&B's return policies are pretty liberal (especially if I make a stink about the hardware defect). I assume they might deduct $20 from the rebate' date=' but that's fine.I'm still mulling over it -- it's one thing if the hardware is not fully utilized, since it's still usable in its current form. But these cracks occurred very quickly and I do have a concern that they will get worse over time.[/QUOTE'] Yeah, mine has cracks & I always thought of it as an ace-in-the-hole. Meaning that I could get it replaced when I felt like it. Too bad the VMCR is not available yet. The refund for the PDN would make a nice dent in the price of the VMCR. Still a stretch for the VMCT though. Hmmmmmmm.Cheers,kev

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Eh. So far the cracks I have seen are merely cosmetic. It doesn't concern me. I can see where some might be peeved though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
[quote name='bugeyed;51140]What is the point of exchanging it? I don't think PD has fixed the problem' date=' so any you get will crack. I sent an email to PD support with a link to the OP about the cracking that had pictures. Never heard a work from them. I stated that many here are seeing the problem & would rather not keep returning them until a fix was made. I don't expect to hear any more about it from PD.[/QUOTE'] i had ghost armor put on mine and my fiance's - no cracks to speak of... quite a few drops WITHOUT the gel case onto carpet... so i think the ghost armor protects from scratches AND these hairline cracks (does the same thing for my htc evo as well). goto your local mall and see if you have a kiosk setup there and they will do it for 10 or 15 bucks plus material (and it comes out PERFECT with a lifetime warranty on the material and workmanship)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like high school relationship...With the announcement of new Android tablets right around the corner, the idea of returning my PDN is growing. Plus, my PDN is starting to crack as well. :(The $120 I get back will make the Archos 101 that much easier to get. :)Bryan d

1 - 17 of 17 Posts