Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I would be very interested to see what majority of users here have a flawless device that is working as it should do (which isn't saying much really) as it's struck me as odd that so many people can't even get past boot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think the perception is that a lot of devices are giving trouble because most people tend to only post a question when they have a problem. You wont see 300 other threads titled "my device works fine, no help needed" from all the people who arent having trouble. With that said, other than my charger going out, my device has been flawless and Im very satisfied. This is kind of my test/learning device. I will prob upgrade to something like the Pandigital Novel device in the future.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I feel like I have a crippled device, here are some of my problems:- Slow web pages loads- Poor video performance and compatibility, barely plays anything over 420x240- No Market, difficult to load apps, no many apps compatible with the device- Slow performance in general, terrible lag in transitions, could be related to launcher?- Screen looks like a magazine (b/c of the terrible touch screen surface)Is there ANY way to get a hacked kernel in this bad boy so we can use setCPU or something to OC this device? It's barely usable without waiting 10s to do anything. Is this normal?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Prospero:While the M001 is not going to set the world on fire performance-wise, I have no real complaints when using it with Slatedroid 1.2 firmware (Rooted). Using either Dolphin or Opera Mini browsers bump up the browsing performance, and the custom firmware is a lot better than the original stock firmware (although 171 stock FW was much better).Being brutally honest, its not a Video Player. Youtube can work (Normal Mode) but not super smooth.Install a Task Killer application and keep your number of active tasks dowm to improve performance.As for Apps, the majority I have tried from slideme.org and similar repositories seem to work. The ones that are less reliable are from the various collections you can find on various p2p sites - these have lots of phone specific stuff in them and the installer complains about that. A lot work, but just as many don't.Joshua:I agree with you. Its rare for people to shout about things working (thats what they paid for), but common for people to complain about things that don't do what they expect. I will, however, buck this trend :)I have an Eken M001. After trying a few firmwares, and finding the apps I want, I am happy with it. Sure its not that fast, but for $100, what can one expect? I prefer surfing on it to my iPod touch because the screen is bigger.I have an Apad. After upgrading the FW (to a more English version with the chinese Crapware removed) I am very happy. Sure its got a resistive screen, but hey, its $170 and CAN play most videos/music/youtube.I have an Archos 7 Home Tablet. Despite arriving in German language, and refusing to turn on after first registration, it now works nicely. Like the Apad, it really could do with a capacitive screen, but hey, it was $199.All 3 devices have their Pros and Cons, and all should really be treated as Early Adopter technology (ie. flawed, but serviceable and most likely improving as Firmware is developed). I for one am looking forward to the next generation devices, such as the 1Ghz Cortex/Snapdragon/nVidia powered units.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have an Archos 7 Home Tablet. Despite arriving in German language, and refusing to turn on after first registration, it now works nicely. Like the Apad, it really could do with a capacitive screen, but hey, it was $199.
I'm thinking of getting one of these as my Slatedroid is bricked and beings sent back, are you pleased with yours? I want it mainly for comic book reading (using Android Comic Viewer) and video playback - the fact that it can supposedly play .mkv files is a huge bonus.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put my vote on the "Yes, flawlessly".No problems whatsoever with my device.But, that said, I'm not pleased with the performance and hardware of the device. Whenever I use the Eken, it's somewhat like going back in a time machine to the 90s when I had vaguely similar devices that performed at just about the same level. Even with the software that I've added (software developed for cell phones, not large 7" devices), the Eken has not delivered like products from 2010 (in my opinion).The bright spot in all this is Android is currently an extremely hot item! Many folks have expectations and hope for the OS.So... I sold mine for a profit after just two weeks of usage. How many other purchases can we make with that kind of result!I give the Eken M001 an A+... for the right person, just not for me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
thefable:The Archos 7 and the Apad are both Rockchip 2808a powered, and both play with about the same level of quality/stability. The Archos is more likely to be firmware updated relatively regularly as Archos is a mainstream player. That said, the build quality of the Archos is definitely better than the Apad, but it has no accelerometer, so I dont know how the eBook reader would fair. I will say that playing high bitrate AVIs with AC3 sound it struggles a bit. So, keep the file sizes down to <1GB for movies. I have tried many movies of differing bitrates, and as a general rule of thumb, the 700MB DivX/Xvid files all play PERFECT, but go much bigger and it starts to look like it drops frames. This may or may not be due to my microSD card as it is only class 2, however CrystalDiskMark gives it 16MB/s read and 6MB/s write, so it should be more than adequate.The blurb does say it can do 720p <2.5Mbit movies - I will try to find a suitable example to test it with.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK. Update on the Archos 7 Home Tablet.Yes, it can play 720p movies. Even MKVs. But......It is a total pile of sh!t. I now find my 2 day old Archos randomly shutting down and wont restart for 10 minutes. Apparently this is a known problem and many owners have the issue. It is to do with the Auto-Suspend settings apparently. After 10 minutes it lets you switch it on again, but who knows how long for..... You cant adjust the settings either....My aPad is much better. Same hardware, does the same stuff, a little rough around the edges quality wise, but at least it works.COME ON ARCHOS. How can you release stuff with this level of garbage firmware?So, its going back to the store.... So what to replace it with?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well, it may be hard to believe but I haven't used mine alot XD Its down most of the time during me flashing/testing my new firmware mods. The experience I have had though when I do use it is a great one, in fact My entire family each bought one they liked it so much! It really has potential as a device, it just needs some love and thats exactly what I am trying to do. Now if we can get Eken to give us the source this device would skyrocket in performance, so lets go for that everyone, EMAIL THE HECK OUT OF EKEN!!! XP I have already been told no, and soon I'm going to start emailing again..=)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Um, On my second device. The first device brick was my fault though, stupid me left the dock cable in while flashing it. So far this one has been great, bought it for $70 USD total with shipping. It was used (like new), wasn't what the seller was looking for. I am using the latest ECOTOX Rom. ;D

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've bought M001 first... and was just fun with original ROM, then it was very funny with Ecotox work... but very very poor video capabilities a little too low... low price, low results, low video, low chinese product... I was a little disappointed.The concept was amazing and so I have bought an aPad... there's no comparison with M001. aPad is inexpensive and very amazing !!! I pray every day that ECOTOX buy an aPad to have a good Firmware...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Except for the AC adapter failing (which is unfortunately normal it seems) I have had a wonderful experience with the M100. Out of the box I found the performance fine, flashed with the Ecotox FW and got rid of all the garbage. This device is perfect as a 3rd computer, or for times when you wish your phone had a bigger screen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I 've owned my m001 for two weeks now. I had a few problems till I updated the rom. I'm using the latest Slatedroid version. I've had good luck finding apps that work on about three different repositories. Everyone who sees me with it in public ask if it is a ipad. I tell them no just a cheap knock off from China. When they see it work and hear the price I paid they want one. I have a palm tx, a nokia n800 and this and I can honestly say that I have enjoyed this unit the most.

·
Registered
24 Posts
ID confess that my tablet was briked by myself by acident and recoverd with some help form one of the moderators (you know who you are mate thanks) on the hole the device performs well enough no worse than my elonex one T sub netbook cpu and ram wise there more or less the same its intresting to note that reflashing the elnox with the android flash works supriseinly well that aside im well pleased with it Thanks for taking time to read this

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mine is working great (sans AC adapter and USB cable). I am still using 1.7.2 for testing purposes (app compatibility at this point), but will flash Slatedroid 1.2 and the latest ECO the next time I get some spare time. For the time being, my m001 is running smooth with xScope as my browser and Automatic Task Killer taking care of the rest. One of the things bugging me now is that some apps do not take up the entire screen. Examples are Baseball Superstars 2009 and Oregon Trail. These apps still work perfectly fine, but it would be nice to have the additional screen real estate utilized. Any way to hack a fullscreen scale for these, or is it up to the app developer?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I been using mine for a few weeks. The AC adapter died and the usb/data cable was not included. The seller sent a new AC adapter and the data cable. Everything works very well(except clock). I looked at the Apple and it is much better but your paying for that. I didn't want to spend $600 on an Apple Apad. I paid $109 delivered for the M001. Really it is a bargain. Soon we will see a flood of more advanced Apad clones for a lot less $$ then Apple. Its all good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My choice was: "Yes - Flawlessly". Why?1. I knew, I'll buy relatively cheap device - I'm not disappointed.2. Everything was included (pick up personally), device works since first start. I have no problem witch charger same as with USB cable.3. I spent couple hours playing with an Apple iPad - I knowingly chosen EKEN. (I wasn't sure about my choice, I had some doubts - what to choice M001 or aPad - finally decided to chose EKEN M001).4. I'm not expecting use my EKEN to play movies - I tried as a test, but I'm not really interested to make this tabled a video player. I'm not really interested about listen a music (as main MP3 player).5. I never expected it will be so fast, faster than iPad / iPhone.I really have a fun testing different ROM's, testing different apps. I have this device less than a week but I had a time to read one book on it (and started second one).This is my third Android device, first one was G1 T-Mobile (HTC Dream), second one - HTC Desire and EKEN is my third one. I understand, I can accept the screen is less responsible than other devices - but, as I said before, I enjoy what I bought.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Works great for me! I'm not very happy abut weak wifi range, but I can use my Android phone to tether Eken.edit: My device is non-branded, original power supply works fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My Eken works fine now that EcoTox is running on it. Some apps keep crashing, but I think that's because of the apps, not the slate.I just had an iPad owner drooling over the Eken. She is very Apple minded but she found the Eken to be as responsive and very much more easy to handle than her iPad.I think I'll start an Eken distribution center here at my office. Most people who see it want to have one ;-)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts