Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi all!As there are a lot of problems when installing Debian onto SD card, I decided to compile a small guide.Warning and disclaimer! If you mess up with SD card numbers, you can overwrite some important files (like, for example a hard drive). Also, I take no responsibility for any damage these instructions may cause. Remember, read everything that appears on screen, and read it twice. These instructions worked for me, but the may not work for you.1. Prepare your SD CardA bit of warning - these instructions will delete first partition of your SD card, but prevent "Access denied" errors.
  • Run cmd as Administrator
  • Start "diskpart"
  • Write "list disk", and make note of your SD Card disk number
  • Write "select disk [your SD card number]"
  • Write "select partition 1"
  • Write "delete partition"
  • Write "exit"
2. Flash Debian imageCommand line wayFirst, you have to get flashnul from this site: http://shounen.ru/soft/flashnul/. Unpack it somewhere, and copy downloaded debian-m001 image into flashnul folder. Next, open cmd as Administrator and:
  • Navigate into "flashnul" directory created earlier
  • Write "flashnul -p -k", and write down you SD card number (not drive letter)
  • Write "flashnul [your SD card number] -P -k -L debian-m001"
  • Wait until flashing finishes
  • Viola!
Windows wayDownload this utility: http://dragonshorn.info/files/DebianInstall.zip, unpack it, and copy debian-m001 into unpacked directory. Run DebianInstall.exe as Administrator, select your SD Card and press Install.As this is initial version of the tool, it does not repair access denied error yet, but in future versions, it will. Also, no warranties and responsibilities, if you break something down.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Is it necessary to format the SD Card? I would think that any program that places an image file on a drive doesn't need it, because the image contains the partitioning scheme and format and replaces whatever was on the card. So no matter what was there before, it becomes the drive image that was saved by the developer, after it is transferred to the drive.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes it is, because Windows "locks" the drive, and gives "Access denied" error. And more than formatting, sometimes it is necessary to delete partition from drive, to "unlock" it - and because of that I decided to write the first part of the guide.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello. I use Linux (Ubuntu) on most of my machines, so am familiar with it. However, I am not so familiar with slates/android. Is this version of Debian for the m100 booting strictly from SD card and Android would still be on internal drive- just like a live cd or usb live boot- so that when I take the card out I am back to Android? If so, is it persistent? Or does it install it to internal drive? (Either way, I am sure I will try it out from sheer geeky curiosity.)Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The earliest version (7/28) only works as a Live SD with a Windows CE install on the Eken firmware. Android on the firmware doesn't play nice with it. I imagine that will change as more is learned of the Eken rom. But yes, the first version is a live SD, not an installer for Debian.

·
Registered
202 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
It boots from the Sdcard and does not install to the nand

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.