Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my aPad just arrived from merimobiles. I like it a lot, it is living up to my expectations but ...there's one dead pixel. Pretty much center screen.I'm not sure what I should do with it. Of course I'll contact merimobiles but what would you do?- Don't bother?- ask some sort of compensation?- try to get it replaced?It took 10 days to get here from China and I'm not sure I want to go through the hassle of sending it back etc... (and customs trying to make another buck on it).So, what would you do?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Man, put a seizure warning on that youtube link LOL.One pixel (up to 16 actually) is within tolerable limits on a 800x480 display and will not warrant a replacement. Sorry, but that's just how it is. More than 16 dead pixels and you could ask for a replacement. Sorry, man. Maybe that video will help (according to some of the comments on it it did help a few people).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LOL, I was afraid of a rickroll for a moment.Tnx for the tip. I'll give it a try later tonight (it's on it's first 10 hour charge)gevrik: do you have docs to back that up? I recall seeing some consumer program on TV stating that that is not the case anymore nowadays. I remember that when LCD's where first introduced that was true but I thought that nowadays with the production quality you don't have to accept even one dead pixel. Don't think I want to go through the trouble but still, nice to know what rights we have.Cheers

·
Registered
160 Posts
i just had a pixel stick on my (cough..) iphone. Had it for a year now and a pixel stuck green. I went to some websites that flashed colors for a while and let it run like an hour. Nothing. Then for no reason it decided to unstick like 2 weeks later. I saw it happen. Wierd. YMMV.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought mine from a dealer in the UK, the first one he sent me had a stuck red pixel. I'm really fussy about these things so I contacted him and arranged a replacement. I think it just comes down to how fussy you are (are you going to think "I wish I got that sorted" every time you see the dead pixel) - at the very least I'd try to get some money back. Good luck!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips. I found there's a few programs in the Market (of course!) to do what the above mentioned video does but it didn't help me unfortunately.My dead pixel is bright white and it does annoy me enough to go put in a little effort so I'll give it a shot.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quick follow up: dead pixel is still there. Found some excellent programs (Pixel Fixer) but unfortunately mine is really dead, not lazy.I contacted MeriMobiles about it, also mentioning the huge sleeve that was send with it as "free case". They offered me an 8Gb SD card for compensation and a better sleeve that is being developed now for the aPad. I find that excellent service and can only recommend this webshop. I think that the problems and issues that you see sometimes comes from the fact that these guys are also dealing with Chinese locals and we all know that it can be sloppy at times. Merimobiles does their best to compensate and deal with it in appropriate ways.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Nice result there bud. RE dead pixels. You could try the freezer/heat cycle technique. Wrap it in a protective freezer type bag, make sure there are NO gaps that moisture can get in. Now put it in the freezer for about 10 mins and remove. (You may lose all data doing this, so have backups ready). Heat the device with a hair dryer or heater for a good 5 mins, don't blast the screen as you could melt it. Switch on and check.If the stuck pixel remains run the pixel fixer prog again and see what happens.Wacky I know, but I did this on my psp a while back and it worked, so it may work on these also. Disclaimer: DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, that's a wacky approach for sure. Not sure I want to take the risks involved at this time. Maybe in a few weeks if it really starts to annoy me big time. Right now I want to enjoy the new gadget before attacking it with a blow dryer :pThanks for the tips tough! Much obliged...Cheers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.