Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad's MOMO8 IPS has gone into a boot loop and I've tried everything to restore it, including every approach mentioned on this forum (that I can find). I'll talk through what I've tried shortly, but getting to the point, does anyone have a definitive way of getting the device to go into recovery mode that doesn't require the device to be detected by Windows.

Is there some combination of reset and power buttons?

If I open the case is there a button on the motherboard that will act as a volume + button, as is rumoured on various forums?

Before people take the time to give the normal (albeit very helpful) advice about connecting to the device and running various tools, here is what has happened so far:

What originally happened

My dad gave me the device with stock firmware. It had a boot loop where it got a green android with some very pretty lines swirling around it, and no further. Advice on here identified the normal route of running RKbatch to refresh the firmware, so I gave it a go. After miserably failing to get Windows 8 to load the rockchip driver I dug out my 10-year old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP and it loaded up first time.

I proceeded to load the Flexion firmware from here that looks an improvement on the stock version, and it seemed to go okay, booting into the CWM menu. Then I became a victim of my ignorance as I couldn't figure out how to navigate it without volume keys (not realising this device has some bizarre swipe controls). Eventually I tried pressing the power button thinking it might step down the menus, and it restarted with the default option of just rebooting without doing anything.

Now I have a MOMO8 which boots to a blue Ployer logo and then goes into a loop - except now Windows will not detect it at all! Plugging the device into Windows, when off, causes the device to switch on and go to the Ployer logo boot loop, but Windows sees nothing.

What I've tried

Being persistent, and seeing other people have had this problem, I started trying stuff out:

Windows 8, Windows XP or Windows 7 (three computers) - no difference
RKBatch sees nothing at all, unsurprisingly as Windows cannot detect a device
Zhuodashi (v2.2, 2.3.5 and 2.3.6) - nothing detected
ADB - cannot see device
Moborobo - nothing
Livesuit - won't load, saying 'initial driver fail'
Pressing every combination of power and reset buttons (10x without reset, 10x with reset etc) - nothing
Power supply in or out - no difference
Running the device to empty and trying - no difference

What next?

The device is only 6 months old, bought from an Amazon marketplace reseller called Wise UK. I've tried to contact them a couple of times and heard nothing back, so I may see if Amazon will intervene, but if this fails the only option I can see is to find a way of getting the device into a state where Windows can see it, which takes me to where this post started - is there a hardware way of getting the MOMO8 IPS into recovery mode?

I've found an image of the mainboard (ignore the note about the faulty connector, which isn't relevant to me as far as I know), but I'm not sure if any of the bits on the board are actually switches I could use to change the device state.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
56 Posts
The crux of the problem is getting your Momo into bootloader mode, without doing this, you afaict, cannot get windows to install the correct drivers. The catch 22 is that without being able to boot to Android to be able to use ADB (or ZhouDashi which uses ADB commands) to tell Momo to go to bootloader, you can't install the Rochchip drivers. If you have already done this successfully (which it sound like you must have done), then you just need to get Momo to bootloader to re-flash with RKBatchTool. The *only* way to know if you are in bootloader mode (afaik) is RKBatchTool will indicate green in box #1 when you run it, or if using Linux, you may see log/dmesg output.

I did exactly what you did the other day also (and not the first time after flashing Flexions f/w >.< !), what happened in the end, after hard power cycling, pressing reset etc. was that it just eventually booted to recovery, from where I could wipe data and cache (many other Android ROM forums also suggest wiping Dalvik) after which I could boot fully (well I actually restored the 'nandroid' backup I made before my experiments ((1st time ever actually needed it!)) ).

If you have already opened your Momo, I'd try button press combinations, maybe you will be the first person to actually get Momo to bootloader by using the internal button! You'll have to try various combinations then plug and try RKBatchTool to see if it's worked.

Be aware that after first boot after flash, things can be really slow to boot, so have patients!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i was in similar situation. i flashed Flexion's without proper wipe and device stuck at ployer screen and none recognise my device.

i opened the back cover. it was not easy to pry it open because its clips were fit snugly and beware of power button to fall out, also my speaker is taped to the back cover with short wire.

the button is locate just above the right corner of the cpu chip.

with device turn off, i just push the button, or push the button with power button , i'm not sure , notice blank screen, but when connect to pc, RKBatch have blue box.

with Flexion's firmware file already selected, I select [Restore] button and RKBatch just work.

device boot into CWM recovery, proper wipe data, cache and sdcard, then reboot.

my device now is working as before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi mgarvey

I had exactly same problem today...stuck in boot loop after a firmware update!

Also tried powering on and reseting and attaching usb and removing and.....no luck!!

Eventually found a pic of the internal recovery button(black arrow)on a russian site.

I stripped off back and powered on while holding down recovery button...nothing seemed to happen but when i attached usb cable it showed up in RKBatchTool and i managed to reflash it...this time successfully

Watch out for speaker cables they are pretty short and i pulled both off the board..doh!
But easily sorted...i also extended them so as to avoid that next time...

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
with device turn off, i just push the button, or push the button with power button , i'm not sure , notice blank screen, but when connect to pc, RKBatch have blue box.
if you get the blue box hit Restore...should sort it and give you green box ready for flash!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great, thanks. I'm in discussion with Amazon about contacting the reseller, so I'll let that process run its course before I open the box, invalidate the warranty (assuming reflashing hasn't done so already) and risk things breaking. If that process fails I'll have nothing to lose by opening the case, and it is good to know a solution is possible!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, after wasting months with Amazon and the Momo reseller to get the device returned,I gave up and took it apart.

The internal reset button worked a charm and I have put a new Flexion firmware on it, except now the screen seems very strange. Sometimes touching the screen does what you expect, other times it seems to select a random option instead.

Well, I'm sure I'll figure that one out too, maybe I'll try the original Ployer firmware.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay, the screen problem solved itself when I screwed the case back in properly! Now I'm a happier bunny!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts