Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
thought I'd give this a go on the forums but rekon the 2nd of my two D70's is now dead. The first failed after 1 month when the micro-usb socket came away from the mother board..I've tried to resolder that with temporary success but next bet is a new socket. In the meantime, my second one has failed at month 3. This is more of an odd problem, trying to charge it up, it no longer gets to the battery charge icon..the boot screen displays as normal (briefly), then turns off...then instead of the charge icon appearing, the boot screens flashes again..and continues in that loop.

Tried charging off the computer, my branded HTC One X charger, and a decent multi port charger also (of course the 2A chargers that came with both D70s stopped working within the first month).

any thoughts much appreciated...just got over the first childs upset to have the second one in tears today and obviously not much point in sending the units back to hongkong (eek!) given the cost of shipping is about 50% of the original price...ho hum...live and learn...

thanks,
Ant.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe it's a software-problem, you could try to flash the original image with rkbatchtool and hope...
cheers mate, worth a try..not tried a flashing tool yet...plugging into the computer doesn't show any connectivity however..I guess it may if I use a flashing tool but I suspect if anything, the battery or connection to the battery has gone completely, so the boot screens comes on, and when it can't sense any draw from the battery it just cycles..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Had the same issue when I was flashing different ROMS from here and there. I think it's problem of a bad compination between kernel and boot image. Just flash a ROM with kernel and boot inside the package and all will work fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had the same issue when I was flashing different ROMS from here and there. I think it's problem of a bad compination between kernel and boot image. Just flash a ROM with kernel and boot inside the package and all will work fine.
Yeah..can't even connect via flashing tools I'm afraid...still just flashes on off as soon as USB is connected with various combinations of power/vol pressed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yeah..can't even connect via flashing tools I'm afraid...still just flashes on off as soon as USB is connected with various combinations of power/vol pressed.
If tablet worked fine before, the problem could be in battery. If you still have 1st one that died try with replacing the battery, or at least check the voltage with multimeter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Your tablet is in a boot loop...if you hold down vol + and power (keep them held...don't just press and release) correctly it will go into flash mode (screen will still be black as mentioned) and will show as "found" when hooked up to the usb cable/pc. If you are seeing the white screen at any time then it's not in flash mode. You need to flash the icoo factory image to restore the boot/kernel partitions....only CWM 6.x correctly backs up boot/kernel so trying to restore a CWM 5.x backup will corrupt those partitions. The vol + and power combo to get into flash mode is a hardware level thing and nothing short of physical damage to the tablet should prevent you from being able to get into it and flash your tablet back to "factory". You can then flash CWM 6.x (the version from this forum obviously) and then look at roms such as darkwater or generick v6/v7......you should probably make a backup right after installing CWM 6.x so you have a version to get back to with a good boot/kernel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same problem when the battery is discharged fully. The device needs to be plugged in to charge for a while but it gets stuck in the bootloop. I solved it by plugging it in the usb and when it tries to boot i press the reset + volume button and when i release the reset button it is in fastboot mode and charging. Leave it like that for a while to charge and then you can get it to boot. Since then I never let it run out of charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Famewolf and Omren,
Thank you for your contributions.
My D70 Pro II tablet is also stuck in a boot loop.
Someone posted in Youtube a video about this problem and my tablet is exactly in the same state.
This seems very common on this tablet.

It was also in this state a few days ago. I do not know how but I managed to get out of it somehow.

I used CWM 6 athe Darkwater V2 rom
My computer sees the tablet and I reflashed the latest rom (20 november) available from the Icoo site, but the same problem is still there.
The motherboard is v3 and the battery is 2500 mah.

2 questions then :
1 - How do I get out this boot loop problem and be sure not to fall in it again.
2 - Will the change to a 5000 mah battery explained in anoter part of Slate Droid improve the situation.
Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As far as I know....

If I charge the battery directly from an external charger I can boot (avoiding boot loop problem), but the USB connection doesn't work and it doesn't charge from USB either, so i suppose that I have a problem with the internal charging circuit. I can get into flash mode, but it is useless for me, because the computer doesn't recognize my tablet.

I´m going to upload pics describing my problem.

Laterz.

BTW Patrickis , that video is mine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello EdwardJJJJJJ and Omren,

Thank you very much for the video. It is very useful
to describe the problem.
I also played with some roms found here and there and they work perfectly so I am not sure that this is a software problem.

Until now I was able to go into flash mode but I cannot anymore. Vol+ and Power down do no work but when connected to a charger via USB (there is no other way !), the tablet is still flashing.

EdwardJJJJJJ, can you describe exactly what you mean by "If I charge the battery directly from an external charger I can boot (avoiding boot loop problem), but the USB connection doesn't work and it doesn't charge from USB either" since it can be charged only via its USB port.

Omren, how do you exactly do "I solved it by plugging it in the usb and when it tries to boot i press the reset + volume button and when i release the reset button it is in fastboot mode and charging".

Thank you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Here's my guess as an EE: The battery is discharged. When pressing the power button, the unit goes through the first steps of powering up, but then the under-voltage protection kicks in and forces a shutdown. It is an excellent guess that the charging circuit is toasted. It looks like it is giving a small amount of power, enough to enable starting but not enough to power and charge.

This was a concern I had a little while ago, that a 2A charger might fry the charging circuit. Were any of you using a 2A charger?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Jured,
Let me first thank you for your detailed instructions in the "hardware hacking" forum on replacing the battery. It is very useful and I am waiting for your pictures.

Yes, I used a 2A charger (for an Ipad) on the unit but this might not be the problem as the charger given with the tablet is also (at least it is stated to be ) a 2A charger and many other members said that they are using 2A chargers.

Omren said that he had the same problem, got out of it somehow and made his unit work well now. He will not let it fully discharge from now on.

I let my unit charge while flashing. The battery charged a bit and now I can go in flashing mode, but not enough to reflash a new rom.
I will let it charge like that for a night.

Do you think that replacing the battery with a 5000 mah will solve the problem ?

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Omren, how do you exactly do "I solved it by plugging it in the usb and when it tries to boot i press the reset + volume button and when i release the reset button it is in fastboot mode and charging".

Thank you.
I use the reset button located in the small hole next to the audio jack. When I plugged in either the charger or usb connected to my computer the tablet went into bootloop . I use a needle to push in the reset button while holding the volume+ key and when I release the reset button it is in fastboot/flash mode and it can charge.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello Omren,
Thank you for your explanations.

I connected other USB cables between the tablet and the original charger and one of them got me out of the boot loop.
I do not understand how but I am out of it !

I reinstalled the original rom dated 20 november from the Icoo site, then CWM 6.027 then in turn the Darkwater v2 Rom and the Jured rom.
All these operations went perfectly well and the tablet was always connected to its charger. A few minutes (the flashing time) separated the three rom tests so the battery should have shown the same indications in all three cases.

With the original rom, the battery indicator shows an almost empty battery (charging) which is the reality, while in the Darkwater and the Jured rom, the battery indicator shows 100% (no charging) !

Have you heard about this and how can I make these custom roms show the right indicator (and charge the battery, of course !).

Now I flashed back the original november rom and let the tablet charge for the night.

Cookan, try using different USB cables and different chargers. I flash the tablet without problem on windows XP.

Thank you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello EdwardJJJJJJ and Omren,

Thank you very much for the video. It is very useful
to describe the problem.
I also played with some roms found here and there and they work perfectly so I am not sure that this is a software problem.

Until now I was able to go into flash mode but I cannot anymore. Vol+ and Power down do no work but when connected to a charger via USB (there is no other way !), the tablet is still flashing.

EdwardJJJJJJ, can you describe exactly what you mean by "If I charge the battery directly from an external charger I can boot (avoiding boot loop problem), but the USB connection doesn't work and it doesn't charge from USB either" since it can be charged only via its USB port.

Thank you.
Patrickis I disassembled my tablet in order to charge the battery directly, bypassing the inner circuit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
OK! I found what the Problem is!

When my tablet was disassembled I was able to charge it, my USB connection also works, but when I assembled it, my tablet didn't work anymore. (again infinite loop of dead)

Very strange Isn't it?

The usb port is loose enough to lose the connection giving me some weird problems. The USB cable will not go far enough into the micro-USB socket, that's why disassembled works, and assembled doesn´t work.

Solution... very simple, I cut the edges of the USB cable and now my cable gets deeper into my tablet, fixing my problem. DOH!..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts