Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
After many hours working on porting AOKP JB m2 for Hyundai T7s (T7 will follow), I've finally completed my work on CWM (using updated code from my GitHub).
You can grab the package from here.

No complete flash is required and you can flash it on every installed ICS ROM (official, CleanROM and derivatives) without losing your data.
The scripts replace the stock Android recovery with CWM and do not touch anything else.

To install:
1. Unpack the file and copy all included files to the root folder of a microSD card.
2. Power off your tablet, insert the microSD, hold VOL- & POWER until a black screen with blue letters appears which informs you for the process. The operation does not take more than 10" to complete.

To boot into CWM:
1. Power off your tablet.
2. Press and hold VOL+ and POWER until the Hyundai logo appears. Use VOL+/VOL- to navigate in the menu, POWER to go back and ENTER/SELECT to execute selected option.

Everything works, including the built-in backup/restore functionality (both internal and to external SD card) and ADB.

Warning: due to incorrect kernel configuration by "Hyundai" (this CWM uses the official stock kernel), if the user tries to boot into recovery from within Android (i.e by using tools or the 'reboot recovery' shell command), the kernel will perform hard reset instead of entering recovery. This behaviour is not related to my CWM and it applies to all ICS ROMs (you can test it yourself AFTER you perform a full backup). Fortunately CWM is not affected by this, so you can always restore your tablet - in case of accidental triggering by an app (i.e 'Pimp my ROM') - either by performing NANDROID backup or using the internal CWM backup function.

If you like my work, feel free to make a donation in order to encourage further development (I'm working on porting AOKP).

Enjoy

·
Registered
19 Posts
To install:
1. Unpack the file and copy all included files to the root folder of a microSD card.
2. Power off your tablet, insert the microSD, hold VOL- & POWER until a black screen with blue letters appears which informs you for the process. The operation does not take more than 10" to complete.

Hello,
Thank you for your effort!
Regarding installation, does microSD card must be empty and filled only with your installation files or not?

Cheers

·
Registered
92 Posts
This works great! None of the other recoveries would flash for me but this one did (Spanish 4.04 2 gb rom ). Backup worked perfectly. Thank you so much, Frontier. I send you a small donation;)

Sent from my HYUNDAI T7s using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
37 Posts
Congrats Frontier, this is really impressive - it takes real brains to get your head around a programming project like this, but I also admire your patience & persistance for sticking with it, you've mentioned earlier how you'd come up against various obstacles.

I've done some 'c' programming in the past myself, and know, once you get your teeth stuck into a project, it becomes so addictive to completely finish it - it beats the hardest levels of angry birds anyday !

For the benefit for newbies or those not experienced in these matters, could you explain if and why it's worth installing this cwm. A while back, I installed cwm & various roms onto a zte blade very successfully, but tbh even I might be a bit confused here, & the risk of bricking my beloved t7s makes me a bit nervous.

Could you also clear up my confusion over version no's. When gianluca2000 posted his cwm converted from 'philz' samsung n8000, a post from 'steals' mentioned his version as ver 10.1, and the version you've listed is 6.0.3.6 - are these even the same thing or am I getting totally mixed up ?

Also, is this cwm still tied to 4.0.4 roms or can it be used with 4.2.2 as well - sorry if these questions are either obvious or have already been answered/explained !

I can apprectiate how busy you are, but in the past on this blog you have always been open & responsive to peoples questions, so I thank you for that also.

If & when, the powers that be at 'hyundai' abandon us ( no kitkat 4 us), it will be down to t7/t7s users to keep ourselves updated - and with the help of your efforts, you are laying down the groundwork that will enable that to happen - even if by then you have moved on to bigger/better things ! - so once again, a big thank you from me

·
Registered
268 Posts
This works great! None of the other recoveries would flash for me but this one did (Spanish 4.04 2 gb rom ). Backup worked perfectly. Thank you so much, Frontier. I send you a small donation;)

Sent from my HYUNDAI T7s using Tapatalk 4
Thank you very much.

The reason I'm asking for donations is not for making money but for buying an Exynos4 developer board (Hardkernel Odroid-U series with serial module), in order to develop a new kernel for T7/T7s and T10.
This is the only way that someone could develop a 'proper' ROM for these devices, since a lot of low-level stuff (bootloader and it's environment) would be required; you cannot simply do these with a retail device (like the T7s) because it's pretty easy to do damage (while working on this CWM and AOKP, I must have bricked it 10 times and 2 of them the display went nutz).

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just flashed this CWM.
But could not boot into CWM.
Don't know why....
Still thanks for Frontier's effort
If you flashed it without errors, just power down your tablet, press and hold VOL+ and POWER and do not release them until you boot into CWM; it should work.

BTW what device you have and which ROM?
This CWM works ONLY on ICS ROMs.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
For the benefit for newbies or those not experienced in these matters, could you explain if and why it's worth installing this cwm. A while back, I installed cwm & various roms onto a zte blade very successfully, but tbh even I might be a bit confused here, & the risk of bricking my beloved t7s makes me a bit nervous.
Thank you for the kind words.

The reason of flashing this CWM to T7/T7s - which is COMPLETELY SAFE with this method, as it's based on official stock memory addressing - is to be able (first and foremost) to do fully working nandroid backups (and restores).
This is ESSENTIAL if you are doing a lot of ROM tinkering as it is pretty easy to mess up an Android installation.

To give you an idea how good this CWM backup/restore thing is, imagine this: while working with AOKP porting, I messed up both the system and data partitions so much that the system stuck in a bootloop.
Having used CWM to perform a full tablet backup (I use the option to backup to external SD card, as it takes almost 1.6GB to backup my complete T7s setup), I just entered CWM, restored the system and I was back online in about 7 minutes!

Could you also clear up my confusion over version no's. When gianluca2000 posted his cwm converted from 'philz' samsung n8000, a post from 'steals' mentioned his version as ver 10.1, and the version you've listed is 6.0.3.6 - are these even the same thing or am I getting totally mixed up ?
I assume both gianluca2000 and steals mention the version of CyanogenMod 10.1-contained CWM; both devs have forked my original GitHub 10.1 porting work and worked on it to make it happen.
This version comes from the latest AOKP branch and it's newer than the one used in CM10.2 (AOKP cherry-picks parts of CM but they use a more advanced CWM version).

Also, is this cwm still tied to 4.0.4 roms or can it be used with 4.2.2 as well - sorry if these questions are either obvious or have already been answered/explained !
This CWM can only be used on ICS ROMs because only on this ROM there is provision by the manufacturer for a recovery; Hyundai JB ROMs (which BTW are much inferior in quality as you have guessed) do not have any provision for recovery, thus it cannot be used with them.
That's the reason I'm asking for donations: to buy an Exynos developer board so that I can work on low-level stuff (u-Boot and boot environment), in order to properly support these devices.

If & when, the powers that be at 'hyundai' abandon us ( no kitkat 4 us), it will be down to t7/t7s users to keep ourselves updated - and with the help of your efforts, you are laying down the groundwork that will enable that to happen - even if by then you have moved on to bigger/better things ! - so once again, a big thank you from me
I won't expect anything else from them; the only reason they released these generic JB ROMs was simply because they advertised it on their sites. But these ROMs are not using Samsung kernels at all.
These devices are pretty powerfull and with proper support (i.e boot environment, proper kernel e.tc) they can run the best aftermarket ROMs and provide a great experience.

The first AOKP version (which is building fine but has bootloop issues) will be released using the original kernel that comes with ICS ROMs (which is a Samsung one), but this is just a 'patchwork'.
Proper AOKP will require building kernel from source code (which is pretty impossible now without a dev board, as there are not even configuration files available) and if this ever is achieved I plan to integrate my work into the main AOKP branch, so that T7/T7s and - hopefully - T10 will be officially supported.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thank you for the kind words.

The reason of flashing this CWM to T7/T7s - which is COMPLETELY SAFE with this method, as it's based on official stock memory addressing - is to be able (first and foremost) to do fully working nandroid backups (and restores).
This is ESSENTIAL if you are doing a lot of ROM tinkering as it is pretty easy to mess up an Android installation.

To give you an idea how good this CWM backup/restore thing is, imagine this: while working with AOKP porting, I messed up both the system and data partitions so much that the system stuck in a bootloop.
Having used CWM to perform a full tablet backup (I use the option to backup to external SD card, as it takes almost 1.6GB to backup my complete T7s setup), I just entered CWM, restored the system and I was back online in about 7 minutes!

I assume both gianluca2000 and steals mention the version of CyanogenMod 10.1-contained CWM; both devs have forked my original GitHub 10.1 porting work and worked on it to make it happen.
This version comes from the latest AOKP branch and it's newer than the one used in CM10.2 (AOKP cherry-picks parts of CM but they use a more advanced CWM version).

This CWM can only be used on ICS ROMs because only on this ROM there is provision by the manufacturer for a recovery; Hyundai JB ROMs (which BTW are much inferior in quality as you have guessed) do not have any provision for recovery, thus it cannot be used with them.
That's the reason I'm asking for donations: to buy an Exynos developer board so that I can work on low-level stuff (u-Boot and boot environment), in order to properly support these devices.

I won't expect anything else from them; the only reason they released these generic JB ROMs was simply because they advertised it on their sites. But these ROMs are not using Samsung kernels at all.
These devices are pretty powerfull and with proper support (i.e boot environment, proper kernel e.tc) they can run the best aftermarket ROMs and provide a great experience.

The first AOKP version (which is building fine but has bootloop issues) will be released using the original kernel that comes with ICS ROMs (which is a Samsung one), but this is just a 'patchwork'.
Proper AOKP will require building kernel from source code (which is pretty impossible now without a dev board, as there are not even configuration files available) and if this ever is achieved I plan to integrate my work into the main AOKP branch, so that T7/T7s and - hopefully - T10 will be officially supported.
+1 Frontier!
do you know how much cost this board?

If you want, i can test things as i've a T7.

epok04

·
Registered
268 Posts
+1 Frontier!
do you know how much cost this board?

If you want, i can test things as i've a T7.

epok04
Thank you for your offer my friend but all retail boards (T7/T7s/T10) lack uboot serial debugging capabilities which are essential in order to modify the boot environment.

The Ordroid U2 is not expensive for what it offers - see here - but I cannot afford it right now as I'm unemployed.
In any case - as I said - I do not want to make money out of it; for now we have a working CWM, let us all wait in releasing the first AOKP and if people like it we can continue development

·
Registered
268 Posts
This is great. I know I sound bad but when will AOKP be ready?? I can't wait!! Also can you try porting cm?
Thansk
CM10.1 and CM10.2 is a great ROM for phones but bad for tablets:

- No tabletUI
- No Samsung Exynos4 support regarding hw overlays (it would be painful to use it without proper hw acceleration).
- Lacks the - insane - customization options AOKP has.
- Lacks the ability to use precompiled kernels - which is essential at this point as I cannot do a proper source kernel compilation - like AOKP has.

On the other hand AOKP is great for tablets because:

- It has dual interface: tabletUI and phabletUI, selectable by the user.
- Supports Exynos4 hw overlays.
- Has all security cherry-picks from CM10.2 (it has the same level of security CM10.2 has).
- Insanely customizable (ROMcontrol itself is a reason to go AOKP).
- Is LinaroARM ready (i.e when we reach the point of source kernel compilation, it would be even more optimized).

The first AOKP release - using the kernel from ICS ROM - will be fully JB (4.2.2) albeit not so optimized if it was compiled (the kernel) from source.
Just watch this thread, it will be released when it's ready

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excellent news. So just to be clear we have to flash from the ics rom?
Also its fully stable?.
It won't matter which ROM you use as everything will be re-initialized.
Stable? AOKP is stable but we'll know more when the ROM is ready (it isn't yet).

1 - 20 of 88 Posts