Android Tablets Forum banner

Custom Roms that work on MID V8?

13K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  QDE 
#1 ·
I just got my MID V8 today and I wanted to speed it up by putting on a streamlined rom. Do we know if the current via8645 ROM's listed in the other forums will work on this unit? Looking for a recommendation on a ROM that works 100% without any limitations (ie. camera doesnt work). Also are those roms like the Uberoid pre-rooted? It would be nice to have a fast ROM for the V8 that also had the honeycomb look and was rooted. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks

#2 ·
Once I get my tablet I plan on trying some ROMS.

If you are going to test... I would suggest using ones from the MID V7 forums... as the hardware should be nearly identical except for the screen.

Again I won't know until I get mine myself.
I also may hold off on trying a ROM until we have a stock firmware.

Tasselhof

#4 ·
Hello this is my first post and I think you'll find it worth it to read.

I just got this tablet today, and after a little research concluded it was the single button Eken m012s. The stock firmware came up as 1.5.0. Since I have researching heavily I decided to get the latest version of Uberoid installed. This seemed to work fine, but no WIFI! After reading through all there troubleshooting(and coming close to tearing it open to see if the wifi card was seated properly). I also tried older versions of uberoid and stock eken 1.3. firmware, but still no wifi. I tried a final experiment that works great!

You can use Slatedroid Singularity M009s Final v5 link

All you have to do is replace the env_uboot with the one I have attached (made using settings from the uberoid launcher). Just throw it in the ENV folder.

The tablet is responsive and everything seems to working fine.

Let me know how you get on with it.

On a seperate note the screen protector that came on mine is kind of rough with quite a few bubbles at the edges anyone know if it is okay to take it off?

Diskotekno

Attachments

#5 ·
Great to hear on the firmware/compatibility!

That top film should just be a "shipping" layer and can be peeled off... at least that is how it was on my MID V7.

Tasselhof

#6 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi,

Did a bit more fiddling and I got Uberoid V6.2 lite with wifi running as well. To get it working you need to select option 3 in the uberoid changer app(or use the env_uboot in my previous post), and then you need the rt3070sta.ko file from the Singularity V5 rom (I have attached it for convenience sake) and throw it in "\FirmwareInstall\packages\fs_patch\root_patch\lib\modules\2.6.32.9-default\"

I am guessing this tablet uses a different wifi card from the mid v7 and other similar tablets, hence the need for different driver.

Following the same steps this should work for modroid as well.

I was able to piece this all together from various forum posts on multiple sites. I take no credit for any of it other than providing all the bits in one place.

Thanks to all the devs who made these little tablets so functional.

Cheers!

Attachments

#7 ·
Awesome.
Can't wait to try it myself.
It appears though the tablet is stuck at customs currently... we will see what happens.

Tasselhof

#8 ·
I followed your directions and got Slatedroid Singularity running on my MID V8.
I have bundled up the files and created a sticky topic to provide an easier option for others to follow.

Thanks again!

Tasselhof

#10 ·
Hi, I'm new to slates though I've flashed quite a few ROM's on my android phone. Can you give a rough guide to what's different between the various ROM's for the V8? It seems to be between the Uberoid, Modroid and Singularity - am I right about that, and which is best do you think for a first flash?

Also is it totally critical to identify my slate correctly or do I get a second chance if it goes wrong first time? (I'm thinking it's between an M012S, M003S, and a VIA WM8650 8"; these are 10, 3 and 5 in Uberoid's changer) When the identification table says 'black audio port' what does that mean? The headphone socket on mine has no colours around it but it does have a black headphone graphic.

TIA, Peter

#11 ·
Hi,

All of the roms do pretty much the same thing more or less. They all offer you some form of increase in performance, remove useless chinese software, most offer the ability to root the device, etc.

It is not essential to choice the correct device off the bat as long as you ensure the rom is for the same chipset as your device.

I like uberoid as it runs well on my midv8. The newest version is very responsive and includes the android market 3.0 app which is pretty slick. Also the changer .bat that comes with uberoid makes it very easy to find the settings that work on your device.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.