Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I have been looking around for a few days and it seems to be a little dead around here

I am going to build a custom rom for the Nova, I would like to ask for requests for inclusions/exclusions and tweaks preferred by the users.

SO anyone out there who would like to has any suggestions, please speak up now.

Current Status:

Based on the 08102011 firmware.

Pre-rooted
Market Installed (1.8.3)
GAPPS Installed

Gingerbread Apps Added:
File Manager
Sound Recorder
(Phone)
(MMS)
(Contacts)

Some Essential Apps added:
Astro File Explorer
Wifi Analyzer
WebSharing Lite
Terminal Emulator

Debloated:
Dictionary
Office Suite

I will most likely only be working on this rom until the Super Nova is available or 21days (from 9/15/11), whichever comes first.

nchntr

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for you hard work...looking forward to it!

Well I have been looking around for a few days and it seems to be a little dead around here

I am going to build a custom rom for the Nova, I would like to ask for requests for inclusions/exclusions and tweaks preferred by the users.

SO anyone out there who would like to has any suggestions, please speak up now.

Current Status:

Based on the 08102011 firmware.

Pre-rooted
Market Installed
GAPPS Installed

Gingerbread Apps Added:
File Manager
Sound Recorder
(Phone)
(MMS)
(Contacts)

Some Essential Apps added:
Astro File Explorer
Wifi Analyzer
WebSharing Lite
Terminal Emulator

Debloated:
Dictionary
Office Suite

I will most likely only be working on this rom until the Super Nova is available or 21days (from 9/15/11), whichever comes first.

nchntr

·
Registered
3 Posts
I cant wait to see this.
I am thinking about buying the nova and i want to change the OS hopefully you will succeed and i can try it out

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've have a few recommendations:

1) Titanium Backup
2) Nandroid Back-up / Clockworkmod
3) Anything that will over-clock the processor (I feel the need for Speed !)
4) Darktremor Apps2sd -
Gingerbread's ap2sd still leaves some residual in internal memory and does not work apps
with widgets, also Dalvik Cache cannot be moves to the SD card. This may be wishful thinking
be can the USB (i.e. PD_UNIVERSE) be used in-lieu of the SD drive ?

Another hack that can be added is a by-pass for the Android Market filters imposed recently.
An example is the Dolphin HD browser. I side-loaded this with adb and I know it works adequately.
I believe it doesn't show in the Android Market because of the permissions require Fine GPS Location.

I'm not a techie , but just a super-user, so I understand that some of these requests may pie-in-the-sky

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've have a few recommendations:

1) Titanium Backup
2) Nandroid Back-up / Clockworkmod
3) Anything that will over-clock the processor (I feel the need for Speed !)
4) Darktremor Apps2sd -
Gingerbread's ap2sd still leaves some residual in internal memory and does not work apps
with widgets, also Dalvik Cache cannot be moves to the SD card. This may be wishful thinking
be can the USB (i.e. PD_UNIVERSE) be used in-lieu of the SD drive ?

Another hack that can be added is a by-pass for the Android Market filters imposed recently.
An example is the Dolphin HD browser. I side-loaded this with adb and I know it works adequately.
I believe it doesn't show in the Android Market because of the permissions require Fine GPS Location.

I'm not a techie , but just a super-user, so I understand that some of these requests may pie-in-the-sky
1) A worthy addition.
2) Requires flashing recovery, I think we may need source for this.
3) Requires a kernel mod (source?) maybe if we can find a kernel with faster capabilities (planet?)
4) I will look into this apk and post my opinion.
5) I really want to find out what is up with the market filters as they are keeping me on the older market apk until resolved.
6) Dolphin HD shows in my market install.
7) Using the PD_Universe location for system storage (even data) may be more difficult than it sounds. I would rather find a way to move some of its space to the /data or other usable location. System and Data of 256M is just way too small for a device with the features of the Nova. Perhaps a nand repartition is in order.

I will continue to tweak my current rom until i feel its ready for public release.

I have been trying to avoid touching the data partition. Worthy apks will be installed to /system, other apks will be included with the release and must be installed from the sdcard (using the appsinstaller, or possible a script (preloaded) that runs in gscript.

If anyone would like to beta test drop me a line (msg or email) I can post the file for brave experimenters. None of the builds yet have boot looped, or upset the system, they have all been 1 flash installs, depending on the build there are a few apks and menus that that fc, most work fine. The ides is to flash the file, then install the data apks then clear dalvik-cache (droid tweaker), then reboot. Resulting in a new system and the new data apks merged with the current data install. I did this so as not to lose the user configs and apk settings.

nchntr

note: I updated the keyboard with the one included in CM7. Never has the keyboard worked so well!!

·
Registered
88 Posts
1) A worthy addition.
2) Requires flashing recovery, I think we may need source for this.R u the
3) Requires a kernel mod (source?) maybe if we can find a kernel with faster capabilities (planet?)
4) I will look into this apk and post my opinion.
5) I really want to find out what is up with the market filters as they are keeping me on the older market apk until resolved.
6) Dolphin HD shows in my market install.
7) Using the PD_Universe location for system storage (even data) may be more difficult than it sounds. I would rather find a way to move some of its space to the /data or other usable location. System and Data of 256M is just way too small for a device with the features of the Nova. Perhaps a nand repartition is in order.

I will continue to tweak my current rom until i feel its ready for public release.

I have been trying to avoid touching the data partition. Worthy apks will be installed to /system, other apks will be included with the release and must be installed from the sdcard (using the appsinstaller, or possible a script (preloaded) that runs in gscript.

If anyone would like to beta test drop me a line (msg or email) I can post the file for brave experimenters. None of the builds yet have boot looped, or upset the system, they have all been 1 flash installs, depending on the build there are a few apks and menus that that fc, most work fine. The ides is to flash the file, then install the data apks then clear dalvik-cache (droid tweaker), then reboot. Resulting in a new system and the new data apks merged with the current data install. I did this so as not to lose the user configs and apk settings.

nchntr

note: I updated the keyboard with the one included in CM7. Never has the keyboard worked so well!!
R u the same nchntrman that developed the great ROM for the wpdn and went awol b4 Christmas?

·
Registered
10 Posts
nchntr -

Was wondering if this was a possible link to the Kernel source ?

http://openlinux.amlogic.com/wiki/index.php/Arm/Platform_Info/Information_for_8726M/Build_system_for_8726M_Howto

Also , if kernel source were available, could I request a kernel module cifs.ko? This allows you to mount network shared drives via CIFS Manager (https://market.android.com/details?id=ws.plattner.cifsmanage), very cool for media streaming and sharing !

Thanks again for your support and effort !

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
R u the same nchntrman that developed the great ROM for the wpdn and went awol b4 Christmas?
One in the same. Life got hectic for awhile, things are looking better now. I will actually have some spare time available and am thinking of getting back into the scene. WPDN looks like it has reached a plateau of developing (without source available) the same may hold true for the Nova time will tell.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nchntr -

Was wondering if this was a possible link to the Kernel source ?

http://openlinux.amlogic.com/wiki/index.php/Arm/Platform_Info/Information_for_8726M/Build_system_for_8726M_Howto

Also , if kernel source were available, could I request a kernel module cifs.ko? This allows you to mount network shared drives via CIFS Manager (https://market.android.com/details?id=ws.plattner.cifsmanage), very cool for media streaming and sharing !

Thanks again for your support and effort !
Althoug that appears to be the source for the hardware, I believe that the manufacturer signs some portions of the O.S. with a header. I.E. recovery, kernel etc.. Similar to other Pandigital Devices, i am not 100% sure of this, but i believe that is their S.O.P. thus making it very difficult to build working replacements. I will look in to this and post any updates here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
One in the same. Life got hectic for awhile, things are looking better now. I will actually have some spare time available and am thinking of getting back into the scene. WPDN looks like it has reached a plateau of developing (without source available) the same may hold true for the Nova time will tell.
Cool...welcome back! If memory serves corect...didn't you have a nook color info your inventory? R u developing for that? I'm looking to upgrade from this wpdn before Christmas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Cool...welcome back! If memory serves corect...didn't you have a nook color info your inventory? R u developing for that? I'm looking to upgrade from this wpdn before Christmas.
Yea, I have a Nook Color. I was going to develop some roms for it awhile back, but Cyanogen released CM7 build for encore (Nookcolor) and it works so well, there was no sense reinventing the wheel on that one. I run 7.1 RC1 or a nightly build on it, works awesome. I use it alot for navigation (wifi hotspot + bluetooth gps)

I grabbed the nova because i am looking for something with camera(s) but I am thus far not impresses, hopefully it will keep me busy until i decide on a Acer Iconia A series or something with capacitive screen, (2) cams, & Bluetooth and a $200ish price tag. I am looking to get torque (ODBII monitor) running with the track plugin (camera AR with headsup ODBII data).

nchntr

·
Premium Member
2,596 Posts
@Nchter
1st welcome back , good to see you

2nd: would you like us to combine your old and new name ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@Nchter
1st welcome back , good to see you

2nd: would you like us to combine your old and new name ?
1) Good to be back

2) Not just yet, i wanna keep the mailboxes separate and also evaluate the device (which isnt scoring all that well) as well as judge the userbase size.. still have a foot on each side with this device.

I have a few tweaked and repacked roms for the nova already nothing exciting. Mostly debloated and gapps. Compare to the WPDN install this is a headache. All the partitions are double mounted (ro) and normal, system is open, data is closed, adb is stubborn and wont give root.. I do like the AppInstaller tho :| Also the 3d GPU seems to work very well.

·
Registered
116 Posts
1) Good to be back

2) Not just yet, i wanna keep the mailboxes separate and also evaluate the device (which isnt scoring all that well) as well as judge the userbase size.. still have a foot on each side with this device.

I have a few tweaked and repacked roms for the nova already nothing exciting. Mostly debloated and gapps. Compare to the WPDN install this is a headache. All the partitions are double mounted (ro) and normal, system is open, data is closed, adb is stubborn and wont give root.. I do like the AppInstaller tho :| Also the 3d GPU seems to work very well.
I wouldn't waste the time on it. With my Nova thread it is good enough. The only thing I may do is rewrite the boot image to allow adb to mount rw.

I have root with the latest firmware.

Sent from my PD_Nova using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
At least release the de-bloated versions (and then laugh at support requests)! The userbase for this guy seems tiny though, you can't even find one on eBay!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Are you the same one. I doubt it. You have never included Market or Gapps in your previous builds for WPDN for some reason, why a big change for NOVA????

·
Registered
116 Posts
This is what happens when a company does the wrong things, and angers the community in the process.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to reflash my Nova because all of a sudden it just stops booting. Even after it's just been flashed.

I just leave it stock now and it sits on a shelf, if I need to use it chances are it won't boot up until it's reflashed.

Pathetic quality, and even worse community support. All of my tickets have been left unresolved.

#winning..

If you are considering a Nova, or other Pandigital product and you happen to click through, word of advice: don't.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How supremely lame... Why do companies constantly drop the ball on this stuff? I mean, is it really so hard to just have an "unpaid external developer advocate"? With such little investment they could have gotten modder interest, and eventually regular consumers would pick them up just to see what all the fuss is about.

I still like mine though, haven't had the nonbooting issue... yet. Netflix across HDMI, Aldiko, Adobe Reader, Remote Desktop, so I can't complain too much.

This is what happens when a company does the wrong things, and angers the community in the process.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to reflash my Nova because all of a sudden it just stops booting. Even after it's just been flashed.

I just leave it stock now and it sits on a shelf, if I need to use it chances are it won't boot up until it's reflashed.

Pathetic quality, and even worse community support. All of my tickets have been left unresolved.

#winning..

If you are considering a Nova, or other Pandigital product and you happen to click through, word of advice: don't.

·
Registered
338 Posts

#winning..

You might also try CM7 port by fun_ I'm reporting about in my blog. On Ainol Novo 8, it boots and works.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts