Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I, ive reading that its possible to build a custom firmware, but, i dont know how can do that. someone has a guide or a tutorial or a guidelines to start with this process?Best Regards.

·
Registered
254 Posts
This might be asking for too much, but could anyone of you rom cookers/modifiers make a small step by step tut on how to package a rom update, let's say starting off from some of the currently available roms?I guess no one's actually compiling their roms from source (yet), but it'd be good to know how to add/remove bits & pieces from a rom to create your own custom rom.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm also interested in making my own roms... already installed ubuntu on vmware at home and read most of the custom rom threads in the apad forum here...- i've unpacked update.img on my pc with afptool.exe- afptool created the other image files (boot.img, kernel.img, system.img, ...)now i want to extract e.g. system.img - but this DOESN'T work with afptool - help now is needed ;D hope someone will share his knowledge - to newcomers

·
Registered
25 Posts
[quote author=alex_speed link=topic=733.msg5856#msg5856 date=1275900892]sudo aptitude install cramfsprogssudo mkdir -p /mnt/systemsudo mount -o loop system.img /mnt/systemYou can now read /mnt/system. Tough mount shows rw on /mnt/system it is only readonly.[/quote]is it a must to have a linux environment to do so?? anyway using M$ windows??

·
Registered
33 Posts
[quote author=uniqlo link=topic=733.msg5863#msg5863 date=1275902112]is it a must to have a linux environment to do so?? anyway using M$ windows??[/quote]I don't know maybe through Cygwin. By the way, Android doesn't compile on Windows system.

·
Registered
254 Posts
[quote author=uniqlo link=topic=733.msg5863#msg5863 date=1275902112]is it a must to have a linux environment to do so?? anyway using M$ windows??[/quote]Using cramfsck and cygwin it's possible to unpack a cramfs image even on windows. At least I managed to, by dd'ing /system to the sd card and then pulling it over to my Windows box.But to do anything serious, you must use Linux to set file properties and stuff.So, by mounting system.img you can extract everything it contains. Now - is it just a matter of recreating a cramfs image (from the extracted contents) with mkcramfs and putting it back into update.img (and how would one go about that)?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello,You can start by making a customized version of system.img. As I said in another thread, it is pretty straighforward to extract the system.img. You'll need a debian based system or find the commands yourself.Read the guide in whole before starting !# This will create a new directorymkdir -p /mnt/system# Install cramfs toolssudo aptitude install cramfsprogs# mount the system.imgsudo mount -o loop system.img /mnt/system# copy the readonly system to an editable locationcp -rp /mnt/system /path_to_a_valid_directorycd /path_to_a_valid_directory and start cutstomizing. I suggest removing/Adding some apps in app directory.# Repack the systemsudo mkfs.cramfs /path_to_a_valid_directory my_system.imgFlash only system.img with the Flasher tools.WARNING : as I don't have received my aPad yet, I haven't tested it so YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.Maybe someone else can confirm/add details to it. Also be carefull that there is a size limit for the system.img. See HWDEF file, maybe there is some changes to do there.

·
Registered
254 Posts
The size limit - What is it really? I'd really like to have /system as something else (not cramfs - perhaps yaffs?) to allow for "on the fly" updates to system files. The question is - will it fit as a non compressed FS?

·
Registered
160 Posts
[quote author=ZilverZurfarn link=topic=729.msg5900#msg5900 date=1275908016]The size limit - What is it really? I'd really like to have /system as something else (not cramfs - perhaps yaffs?) to allow for "on the fly" updates to system files. The question is - will it fit as a non compressed FS?[/quote]Take a look at the HWDEF file inside the update packages. It shows position and size of the partitions.

·
Registered
254 Posts
[quote author=cadrogui link=topic=729.msg5973#msg5973 date=1275922062]If i want to use a 2.1 Version how could it be?[/quote]Well, we'd need the source code for the hardware drivers and compile Android from source I think. Acompletely different ballgame than replacing/removing/adding bits & pieces to the original rom. I also sincerely doubt there is enough ram to successfully run any 2.x Android version on the aPad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.