Android Tablets Forum banner

custom english stock firmware

32K views 78 replies 38 participants last post by  Robosama 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is an english language custom firmware of 130201v1 for your convenience as a phoenix suite flash image and contains the following small changes:

Changelog:

130201v1_custom_v2 modifications:
english as the standard language
chinese apps removed
supersu added
Google Talk added
surfaceflinger from onda Chuwi V99 firmware (a bit more smooth)
Better Google Play compatibility
TWRP recovery

130313v1_custom_v1 modifications:
Based on SDK 1.35
TWRP recovery upgraded (broken, don't try to boot recovery, I'll fix it later today.
supersu replaced by superuser by Koush

Download here.

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Here is an english language custom firmware of 130201v1 for your convenience as a phoenix suite flash image and contains the following small changes:

chinese apps removed
supersu added
surfaceflinger from onda firmware (a bit more smooth)
TWRP recovery

Download here.
Nice Thank You but before I download it: Is there polish launguage in which I can change instaed of english one? and how about wifi there?
Thank You for reply.

#3 ·
Nice Thank You but before I download it: I sthere polish launguage in which I can change instaed of english one? and how about wifi there look?
Thank You for reply.
This is only stock firmware, there is no other changes than the ones mentioned above, so all possible problems is still there and if you have your language set to polish on your tablet today, this will have it available to. I will put more effort into the cyanogenmod build I'm doing instead.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)

chinese apps removed
supersu added
Google Talk added
TWRP recovery

Download here.
Hi mate,

Any idea if there is already a jelly bean 4.2 for this device?
How to install jelly bean 4.2 with TWRP recovery?
I have read that jelly bean 4.1 cause a lot of WiFi trouble for other devices too, do you agree?

Do I understand it correct that TWRP is sort of a user friendly ROM manager?
Thanks in advance for your help.

#18 ·
thanks fldc for creating this

I have downloaded zip file then reboot and selected to run from the zip file, it begins the process but then says aborted

would someone be kind enough to post a detailed step by step process from downloading the zip, to installing it on the decive?

#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
First let me thank fldc for the Ainol Novo 9 English firmware! Some really good improvements.

Please note that after upgrading to the English firmware, you cannot flash back to the original Ainol firmware using PhoenixSuit. I presume phoenix is looking for some kind of identifier from the device and it has changed in the fldc build.

The older chinese version of phoenix 1.03 beta will recognize the device when plugged into usb. It will reflash the english firmware but will not flash the ainol 20130201 (some chinese error when you try to upload the image).

The newer engligh version of phoenix 1.06 will not recognize the device when plugged into usb.

Edit: Actually I was able to flash my ainol novo 9 back to the stock firmware. The error was not clear but it was because the filename length was too long for Windows!

I'm still not able to get phoenix 1.06 to work but 1.05 works fine.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hallo,
i just managed to flash my ainol spark using this rom with phoenixsuit, I installed the 1.05 version then updated it to 1.06, there are some pitfalls to look out for:

1- if you are using a 64bit version of windows, disable driver signature enforcment, you can revert it back after flashing, this disturbs installing the usb driver, if that doesnt work, remove all the google usb drivers ( maybe you used the unvirsal naked driver ) also remove the driver using the phonexsuit uninstall.
http://laslow.net/2012/03/14/disable-driver-signature-enforcement-in-windows-8/

2- change your usb cable, some cheap china cables does not function very well, this problem happend with my previously owned nexus 7, using a better cable this problem didnt occur.

hope I was able to help some of you

thanks btw for this rom, would it be possible to pack this rom in a zip to make it flashable using twrp or cwm?

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
1. Download a root-enabled file manager app like "Root Explorer". I used "File Manager" app (the one with a folder with gear logo) and enabled root from its settings. Also select "mount root" in the settings, if you use File Manager. Navigate to /system/etc/permissions.
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission (the first instance not the second one).
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission below the existing group definition...<group gid="media_rw" />
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart your tablet.

If done properly, that should give you read/write access to external SDcard.

#28 ·
Hi,
i just put my PO on Ainol Spark and found the fan pages on facebook.
The problem is: it's not a fan pages at all, it's full of complain, unhappy and unsatisfied user.
their unit start broken at day 1 or suddenly broken down without reasons.
No respond, support and updated firmware from the seller or the manufacturer.
i'm starting to worry and doubt my choice now.
Should i cancel my order?
Help!
i need good suggestion, since it's my first android tablet.
Thanks

#30 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ainol does not have any official english shops/sites (ainolsomething, ainol-novo, etc, are all independent shops that just sell Ainol products). The only official Ainol support site is the chinese forums where all the newest firmwares are posted, all the other sites are outdated.
The warranty/product support depends purely on the shop (and your own hardware/software skills).

For example there is a Ainol tablet thread in a Finnish PC/hardware forum that has over 2100 posts (china-tablet thread has "only" +1500 posts...), so that kind of information sources are better than those unofficial shops.
Especially when one guy has every single tablet that has ever been made in Shenzen and posts reviews about them...

#32 ·

chinese apps removed
supersu added
Google Talk added
TWRP recovery

Download here.
Hi,

I made a change to the build.prop file to be able to install tunein radio and then rebooted. So started my journey to have back my novo9.
I got the build.prop from a friend who has also a novo9 and push it to /system via adb installed on linux mint.
But it didn't change anything i still have the android mascot than then the novo9 logo and finally a black screen.
I tried to reset everything and reboot (via "adb reboot recovery") but still the black screen.
So i installed the phonesuit 1.5 on a xp vmware box which got updated to the version 1.6. But it didn't installed all the driver and it could not recognize the novo9.
I did what u said and what the tool says "press a button, then plug to usb port then presses 10 times the power button..." and something happened which let me choose to upgrade the firmware but got a timeout
because could not finally see a device.
I tried several times with your custom rom or the official firmware update but same.
Then i unstalled the 1.6 and installed the 1.3beta. this last one could give me lot of information about my novo9 (kernel...firmware version) but still could not update the firmware.

After i saw i could use an adb function "adb sideload filename.zip" but unfortunately ur zip is not signed so it checked it after the file transfert and said the file was not correct.

I am stuckked here. i just have a black screen and dont know what to do.

U r talking about TWRP but when i tried to download it it asked me my device and the novo9 is not listed. so which version did u take or should i use to use your custom rom ?

Anyone who could help me to retrieve my table and not stay at the black screen step ?

thanks in advance for any help !

sankara

#34 ·
I recently purchased this in hong kong and upgraded to the english firmware on this thread (thanks!)
does anyone know if Cyanogen Mod 10.1 will work on this. It looks like it's been done on other Ainol devices (Spark 7 I think)
Same here. The English ROM is light years cleaner and more stable. The original one couldn't even reset to factory settings without failing miserably at that job giving process errors and loosing a lot of apps.

I am also wondering whether there is a CM 10.1 ROM we could try. Can't live without gesture typing anymore and I can't bother to install Swype because I believe it's brings a lot of lags along.

#37 ·

chinese apps removed
supersu added
Google Talk added
TWRP recovery

Download here.
How do you do it?
Is it a simple process?
I wouldn't mind giving it a go...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.