Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Word of caution to everyone, be VERY careful if opening your Novel!I wanted to see the half height mini-pcie card as I have a spare bluetooth one laying around, so I was opening my Novel. Well got caught up on the rear bottom plastic shell part, and while carefully prying things apart to look for hidden latches I felt a soft snap and sure enough there was a nice line through the corner of my screen. Looks like that corner is dead to input and the rest is decisively less responsive. (not that it was really responsive to begin with)Now I need some advice, I had bought this for my fiance for her birthday (well that was a month ago but just got it because of Kohls fiasco.) Lucky I bought a spare cause if she finds out I'm toast for breaking her toy that she allowed me to hack before handing it over. I don't know about returning it, that feels a little dishonest (OK a lot dishonest) is there a replacement screen that can be had? anyone interested in a cheap Novel for development? Should I wait for broken ones to pop up on ebay?Also if anyone one wants internal pics, and can give suggestions on how to open the bottom part to separate the internals let me know and I would be happy to photograph everything, I was going to do a teardown for ifixit.com until my little mistake.Errg, I was hoping my first post was going to be that I plugged in bluetooth and it worked, instead it's one of those newb "I f***'d" up ones.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together [hack, puke up lung]... These damn cigars!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
See the error of my ways, I thought the back plastic panel was attached to the inner frame and was looking to release the frame, poking around I see that there are some large plastic tabs to undo and a ton more of that annoying tape between the frame and the plastic back, so that needs to be undone, then probably more screws holding the frame to the front piece. Looks like you almost need to remove the battery and get out the hair dryer to soften up the tape to completely dissemble this thing. Has anyone been successful in completely tearing it down?The sad part is I tear down almost every device and gizmo I own, except for some scratches on a 6th gen ipod classic (those are near impossible to open without doing cosmetic damage) I've never damaged anything before this. It's the damn tape!

·
Registered
666 Posts
I tried to remove a screw or 2holding the plastic bezel inplace and they were on there. It took pliars holding a #0 Ph mini-screwdriver. It seemed like these things were torqued down big time. After 2 I decided against disassembly unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nchntrman;22136 said:
I tried to remove a screw or 2holding the plastic bezel inplace and they were on there. It took pliars holding a #0 Ph mini-screwdriver. It seemed like these things were torqued down big time. After 2 I decided against disassembly unless absolutely necessary.
I didn't have an issue with the screws, had to find a tip that fit just right ( I think I used a PH0 tip too) Almost had the back bottom piece off, just don't want to break anything further, it has 2 tabs in the middle. and small plastic lock tabs all along the perimeter, can pop the ones along the edge where they are accessible, but can't enough of the ones by the top ports too open it without marring the soft plastic.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I broke my first Novel about an hour after getting it home from BBB. Slipped and hit the tile floor. The screen was totally shattered. I was ready to live with a cracked screen but touch wouldnt work at all. I exchnaged it at BBB the next day, simply stating that the screen was broke.As you can imagine Im alittle more careful and am seeking a good value case.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd return it to Kohls. They made people jump through hoops to get these devices. Their return policy is second to none if you have your receipt and if you don't but used their charge card it's the same. I don't think you were misusing the device. It's not like you dropped it or threw it across the room. They will send it back to Pandigital and they will likely refurb it and resell it. Your tale does make me more willing to buy a warranty on the product though.

·
Registered
361 Posts
You can rationalize returning a product, that you broke, all day long, but it doesn't make it right! Sure many stores have liberal return policies, but how long will that last. Even Sam's Club had to change their return policy, 'cause people were bringing back their expensive TVs & electronics after a year & exchanging for an equally priced, but newer & more advanced model.I'm not judging, just be sure you are really comfortable with it, or it will follow you. Just sayin'kev

·
Registered
71 Posts
I didn’t rationalize it, I made no excuses, I just said the screen was broken. They happily exchanged it. When they get the case I will be glad to purchase it there.The point of my post is that the screen is certainly fragile, take care.

·
Registered
42 Posts
[quote name='stoic;22453]I didn't rationalize it' date=' I made no excuses, I just said the screen was broken. They happily exchanged it. When they get the case I will be glad to purchase it there.The point of my post is that the screen is certainly fragile, take care.[/QUOTE']You said the screen was broken or that you had broken the screen? ;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
So my PDN took a dive off the coffee table last nite. The screen cracked
no touch function. Are we the only ones?

·
Registered
666 Posts
I built a Pad-Folio thingy to hold mine and protect in in transit, it has a 1/8" polycarbonate / foam screen cover "page". This works really well for transit, I toss it into backpack with all sorts of stuff, no problems. Prolly would have saved it if it was still in the pad-folio when i was using the PDN. I knocked it over while in the stand (vertical) trying to tap the screen.
about a 14" tumble to the ground. The edge of earphone connector hit and transferred the stress to the bottom edge of the glass.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nope, never got it all the way open, couldn't figure out how to unlatch the plastic piece covering that area without marring the plastic. When my better half found out what I did she exchanged it at Kohls. She told them what happened, that I broke it while monkeying with it, and they still let her do an exchange, cool.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.