Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the WiFi's useable range?How is battery life with WiFi enabled?(Also if you happen to have a PDN what are the answers to the same two questions, but I'll also be posing those in the PDN forum.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I can't speak about the PDN (although I almost bought one a couple weeks ago and bailed because the demo unit was actually just a frame and not an actual Novel-- Pandigital is a bizarre co, but that's whatever). The WiFi range seems pretty good for me-- I don't live in a big house, but I have no problem picking up a signal anywhere in the house and it's even good in the back yard. As to battery life-- I haven't tried running the thing down yet... I'll get back to you.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
[quote name='RampantOctopus;24902]Well' date=' I can't speak about the PDN (although I almost bought one a couple weeks ago and bailed because the demo unit was actually just a frame and not an actual Novel-- Pandigital is a bizarre co, but that's whatever). The WiFi range seems pretty good for me-- I don't live in a big house, but I have no problem picking up a signal anywhere in the house and it's even good in the back yard. As to battery life-- I haven't tried running the thing down yet... I'll get back to you.[/QUOTE']Thanks for the reply, and it IS helpful. Odd thing. So few of these and it's been out for such a short period of time and I get an Augen reply before anyone says anything about the PDN...

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
You do realize you're posted under the augen heading, not the pdn heading, right? Very strange you haven't had any Iphone or Commodore64 responses either. No one from Ford or Honda wants to chime in? Doctor, every time I hit myself in the head with a hammer, it hurts...The PDN has reasonable wifi range (I'm still using 7-18-fw). I have 1645 square feet, and mine works well from in front of the house, through two walls, about 40 feet. Battery life is dependent on cpu settings, wifi settings, brightness settings, etc. I'm getting a solid 4 hours out of the PDN with wifi, though I haven't pushed until battery failure. I also have the brightness tolerably low, and haven't upclocked the cpu.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote name='lawman;25079]You do realize you're posted under the augen heading' date=' not the pdn heading, right? Very strange you haven't had any Iphone or Commodore64 responses either. No one from Ford or Honda wants to chime in? Doctor, every time I hit myself in the head with a hammer, it hurts...The PDN has reasonable wifi range (I'm still using 7-18-fw). I have 1645 square feet, and mine works well from in front of the house, through two walls, about 40 feet. Battery life is dependent on cpu settings, wifi settings, brightness settings, etc. I'm getting a solid 4 hours out of the PDN with wifi, though I haven't pushed until battery failure. I also have the brightness tolerably low, and haven't upclocked the cpu.[/QUOTE']Yes, read the first post again. I posed the same question directed at PDN owners in their forum... :DThanks for the answer they're mostly what I was looking for although in my PDN targeted post I did ask if they could possibly give me stock clock & overclocked battery runtime. ;)

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
The stock clocking is ridiculously low. I mean, the number 66 pops into my head. REEEE DICKULOUSLY low. Look around, someone linpacked it, and people are looking to overclock it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
[quote name='lawman;25158]The stock clocking is ridiculously low. I mean' date=' the number 66 pops into my head. REEEE DICKULOUSLY low. Look around, someone linpacked it, and people are looking to overclock it.[/QUOTE']Er... that's the min. with frequency scaling, what I really mean is 533MHz v. 800MHz... or some other freq setting >533MHz... ;)

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
To answer the OP's question - the range of this device and the PDN seem to be about the same. My WAP is in my basement and I have used both devices two floors above and get a fair signal (DD-WRT router, btw). The WiFi reconnect after sleep seems better on the Gentouch, so far.As for battery life, i haven't really tested that yet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.