Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I've started to convert a bunch of .lrf files to epub for my soon to be acquired PDN. My question is, are there any specific settings I need to set in Calibre? I plan on using aldiko as the reader. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Wulfie

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've used Calbre for converting books to epub format for the PDN. I use the default PDN reader, not aldiko, but I set the output settings to Sony Reader. That seems to work fine for every book I've converted. I also will typically edit the Meta Data of a book file. This is a good way to get the correct cover image that you want associated with the book. Finally, the cover just gets saved as "cover.jpg". I manually go in and name it the exact same name as the cover, leaving the .jpeg suffix. These are the basic things I do with Calibre. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
x2 - I use the Sony Reader settings as I own a PRS-300. But so far, I haven't had any issues porting them over to Aldiko and I do the same exact steps as Kuzman9195 for the book cover transfer.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Another option is to use this web site to convert document formats:Online ePub converterYou can also point it to the URL of a document on the web, or even a web page and it will convert it.It gives you a link to download the converted file, so you can run the whole process from the Novel's web browser.I guess this was a thread hijack. Hope it's OK.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[quote name='roebeet;47759]x2 - I use the Sony Reader settings as I own a PRS-300. But so far' date=' I haven't had any issues porting them over to Aldiko and I do the same exact steps as Kuzman9195 for the book cover transfer.[/QUOTE']When you say you use the Sony output settings, do you mean Sony Reader or Sony Reader 300, 500, etc? Also, does Calibre see the PDN when transfering? or am I going to have to put the books (once converted) on manually?

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
Yes, Calbre will see the Novel when it is plugged in to the usb port. Then choose which card you want to put the books on. If your using Aldiko then you will want to specify the Aldiko folder.Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote name='Wulfie;47805]When you say you use the Sony output settings' date=' do you mean Sony Reader or Sony Reader 300, 500, etc? Also, does Calibre see the PDN when transfering? or am I going to have to put the books (once converted) on manually?[/QUOTE'] I use just the Sony Reader settings. Haven't tried the Sony Reader 300, 500, etc. settings.

·
Registered
7 Posts
[quote name='Kuzman9195;47731]I've used Calbre for converting books to epub format for the PDN. I use the default PDN reader' date=' not aldiko, but I set the output settings to Sony Reader. That seems to work fine for every book I've converted. I also will typically edit the Meta Data of a book file. This is a good way to get the correct cover image that you want associated with the book. Finally, the cover just gets saved as "cover.jpg". I manually go in and name it the exact same name as the cover, leaving the .jpeg suffix. These are the basic things I do with Calibre. Hope this helps.[/QUOTE'] Ooops... I should have said... I manually go in and name the cover the exact same name as the epub file, leaving the .jpeg suffix.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
[quote name='Kuzman9195;47881]I use just the Sony Reader settings. Haven't tried the Sony Reader 300' date=' 500, etc. settings.[/QUOTE'] I've been using the Sony Reader 300 setings, mainly since I own a 300 and share my books with both devices.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
[quote name='Kuzman9195;47731]Finally' date=' the cover just gets saved as "cover.jpg". [/QUOTE']Go get the latest version of the software, version 7.16. This has been fixed. The images are still titled "cover.jpg" on your computer, but are translated correctly for the PDN upon export to the device as long as the PDN Plugin remains active.I've been in discussions with the creator and some of the devs at the Calibre boards today, working on a fix for the too-small font size on the generic/default cover of newspaper/blog/magazine subscription recipes that cannot be read on our PDN. I gotta couple of solutions I want to try later and if one of them (or more) work I'll post an update in this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
I got some instructions in this thread at MobileRead.com on how to make your own covers for an epub recipe when subscribing to a site without a stock cover page (like USA Today) that looks very doable, plus a promise that some six more sites will have new (readable) covers in the recipes in the next Calibre update - which seems to come out on a regular basis every two weeks or so lately.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so when using the 'connect to folder' option in calibre to put books in ebooks/import, does it still convert the covers for aldiko or do I have to rename the cover.jpg manually?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I currently dont' even have a PDN, but I like to be educated before making a purchase. I really hate the thought of having to rename ALL my cover.jpg files since I have about 2gb of ebooks in .lit format that I just converted with calibre. I wish there was an easier way to get books onto a PDN while using Aldiko as the reader

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
From what I've learned, if you convert your books to epub using Calibre, the cover is actually embedded in the epub, so is it really necessary to have the cover image on the sd as well?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I seem to be having the same "cover" issue. I loaded an epub file onto my PDN and it showed up just fine but without a cover. I then went online and did a copy/paste of the cover of the ebook and renamed it so it was identical to the epub title just with the jpg suffix and put it in the directory with the ebook on my PDN. Sadly, it still doesn't show up. Does the jpg file need to be specific dimensions in addition to being the matching the title of the epub file?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
[quote name='Wulfie;50972]I currently dont' even have a PDN' date=' but I like to be educated before making a purchase. I really hate the thought of having to rename ALL my cover.jpg files since I have about 2gb of ebooks in .lit format that I just converted with calibre. I wish there was an easier way to get books onto a PDN while using Aldiko as the reader[/QUOTE'] Some people have managed to update wirelessly using calibre... more easy than that?

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
[quote name='Shykat;88720]I seem to be having the same "cover" issue. I loaded an epub file onto my PDN and it showed up just fine but without a cover. I then went online and did a copy/paste of the cover of the ebook and renamed it so it was identical to the epub title just with the jpg suffix and put it in the directory with the ebook on my PDN. Sadly' date=' it still doesn't show up. Does the jpg file need to be specific dimensions in addition to being the matching the title of the epub file?[/QUOTE'] Is is possible you put the jpg's on the external SD Card and then imported using the PDN eReader, which transferred the books but not the covers to the internal card. The jpg's need to be in the internal "PD_Novel" internal micro-SD Card, inside the "ebooks" folder.

·
Registered
12 Posts
im just trying to find a good converter to batch convert pdf so i can read them on my PDN, im able to read it with old firmware but with the panda and ebook and other ones like kindle and such i cannot access my pdfs, ugh..i have over 300 to convert, any links or sites i can get some converters? as well anyone know of another panda like firmware for pdn ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.