Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all you HP TPers! (Sounds like I'm saying "HP Toilet Paper" lol.)

I already have a Velocity Micro Cruz T301 which I love but I really have been wanting a tablet with a camera on it and flash and other features my Cruz doesn't have. My old digital camera is pretty crappy and also burned through the batteries too fast. So I want a tablet that I'll be able to take still photos for holidays and birthdays, (I read somewhere that you can get a camera app that will work with the TouchPad), and a video camera for skyping with long-distance family members. I'd like to be still be able to read my ebooks, (I'm hoping that there will be an Aldiko app that will work with this tablet soon but if not there are tons of good ereading apps out there that will probably work), and be able to transfer files from my p.c. to the tablet and use offline as I don't have wifi when I'm at home so most of the time I don't have the tablet I use now connected to the internet at all unless I'm near a free hotspot or using a friend/family member's wifi connection when I'm visiting. Flash would be kick ass too if I'll be able to access those streaming video/hulu-type websites and play facebook games like Farmville, etc.

Thank you for reading this!

~Ami

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why not just pick up a mainstream android tablet that has the features you want? I'm not sure how easy it will be to find a Touchpad at this point. I thought they were all sold innb the fire sale.

Sent from my A100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
69 Posts
After installing Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread 2.3) I am a very happy "HP TPers" as you said LOL I am running Flash 11.0 and there are some issues right now with the build but its only Alpha 2, so in a next couple of weeks I think they will release Beta or may be a "stable" for that build. If I put it like that "the best $99 I have ever spend on a electronics gadget" it will be fair enough.
Now where to get it? there are two ways, ebay or your local carigslist. The 16GB is running $185-$225ish and 32GB is running around $240-$275ish, this is just an average you might get is cheaper. Be very careful buying from craigslist as it is full of scams. eBay is relatively safe as ebay provides protection in case of any problem/s.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree 100% with Dark_Angel, the touchpad is having your cake and eating it too. I'm new to webOS and still find it so-so in some cases but with the addition of Cyanogenmod 7 (Gingerbread 2.3) the TP becomes a different tablet in the best of ways. That's my opinion but not what you were asking about. With only a front facing camera using the TP to take holiday pictures...well... seems weird IMO (sorry about that)

Everything else you mention is spot on with the TP. It's very fast/responsive, screen quality is excellent and it has a great though dwindling community. You will hear some say that you can't get them anymore, not true. As DA pointed out, you may not get the "fire sale" but is $250.00 for a 32gb tablet too much? And for those who say yeah but webOS is dead. Not quite true either. Besides, both CM7 and touchdroid have promised future development to include ICS.

My thoughts, scrabbled, weird and all over the place but I hope it helps.

·
Registered
150 Posts
The HP Touchpad camera is now working within WebOS and Android but it will not generate very high quality digital snaps, the type that you would probably get from a budget digital camera, however the tablet really is a great blend of styling, specification, performance and vlaue for money.

·
Registered
399 Posts
As DA pointed out, you may not get the "fire sale" but is $250.00 for a 32gb tablet too much?
Yes it is too much, I'm guessing quite a few players will have significant price drops to spur holiday sales that will be within the same price range. At the fire sale prices, I say it's worth it, but outside of that, I think people are better off looking at devices that are running Android out of the box.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes it is too much, I'm guessing quite a few players will have significant price drops to spur holiday sales that will be within the same price range. At the fire sale prices, I say it's worth it, but outside of that, I think people are better off looking at devices that are running Android out of the box.
I beg to differ, though I did ask the question. I am not a computer programmer or dev or such. I started out with the pandigital, moved to the gtab and now have the touchpad. Why? Because at the time I brought them they were not mainstream aka "what everyone else is using" and most important the potential was/is there for a great device.

I believe most people on sites like these are not here to verify they have a tablet like everyone else but like me they're here to work on their hidden gem.

So, in the case of the touchpad with all of it's potential, I don't believe $250 is too much to pay.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Here are my two cents. If the Touchpad would have sold for $250 in fire sale, to be very honest I would have never bought it. The problem is AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon etc they jacks up the prices of phones and tablets just make the customer realize that they are getting a $600 tablet or phone for $200 if they sign a 2 years of contract. The actual market value of these tablets is not more than 40% of what they says. These are all scams produced by these major player just to trap people in their two years of contracts. The best substitute word for "Scam" is "Marketing Techniques". Apple is a leader of those scam artists, people buy Apple products just to present them "That they are different and cool". This is all because of uneven distribution of wealth. Again, these are my two cents.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Here are my two cents. If the Touchpad would have sold for $250 in fire sale, to be very honest I would have never bought it. The problem is AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon etc they jacks up the prices of phones and tablets just make the customer realize that they are getting a $600 tablet or phone for $200 if they sign a 2 years of contract. The actual market value of these tablets is not more than 40% of what they says. These are all scams produced by these major player just to trap people in their two years of contracts. The best substitute word for "Scam" is "Marketing Techniques". Apple is a leader of those scam artists, people buy Apple products just to present them "That they are different and cool". This is all because of uneven distribution of wealth. Again, these are my two cents.
Point taken DA on the products being marked up at sell. I guess my argument, if there is one, is perceived value. The gtab at the time I bought it was $379.00 and because of the advanced hardware it was deemed a reasonable buy though it was crap for software and tech support. The potential of the device meant you would hopefully get your moneys' worth after some hacks that would improve it. In my case, money well spent. I have taken great pleasure in repeatedly changing roms, adding updates and just plain trying stuff :) I will say that the gtab at $379 won't sell and it shouldn't today. Now for the touchpad. I didn't even sniff it at $600.00 when it was to be the next Ipad killer. But really, at what price point doesn't it make sense to buy. For me the hardware, screen, processor... potential of the device is higher than the "fire sale" price IMO.

Now, how much before it's too much? My price point remains $250 for a device that may have little to no support from it's company but the hardware and... here it comes... wait for it... just a little longer.... POTENTIAL!! :) to be a great little tablet. I guess I get my moneys' worth out of playing around with it rather than using it as a tool. Anyway, thanks for your opinion and as has been the case since I bought my touchpad, I'll be looking for your updates and information hacks to improve it, peace.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have had my 16gb touchpad since the firesale, I love it, it's a high quality unit. The Webos is usable as is, but the Android CM7 is frosting on your cake. Unless you have a specific need, the 16gb unit should be fine. JMHO

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here are my two cents. ................. This is all because of uneven distribution of wealth. Again, these are my two cents.
I agree with the marketing comments, at least to some extent. But, wealth should never be distributed, it should be sought, achieved, enjoyed, and taxed reasonably. It is the reward of personal effort and talent. My two cents.
Sorry for the hijack.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts