Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
In my quest porting AOKP to the T7s and after countless builds and firmware flashing, it is inevitable that we need a proper kernel. Both available kernel - ICS and JB - cannot be used with AOKP; the first is incompatible with the AOKP/AOSP/CM10.1 userspace and the "JB" one is unstable and not optimized for tablets. All my efforts to obtain kernel source from Hyundai / Toptech / UrBetter bought absolutely nothing (the first two do not even answer).

Since the AOKP build has been stabilized, I've begun working in porting the kernel. By using dmesg and dump tools a fair build configuration file is made; however critical parts are missing because they are masquerated by obscure messages as UrBetter has deliberately messed the drivers.

Since I cannot open my tablet without making damage, I would like to ask if anyone has opened it to supply information: chip part numbers, Lcd display made and model, power management chip etc. Hires pictures are good too as long as part numbers are clear.

Thank you very much for your support.

Edit: Uploaded initial commit on AOKP ROM for T7s on my GitHub.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In my quest porting AOKP to the T7s and after countless builds and firmware flashing, it is inevitable that we need a proper kernel. Both available kernel - ICS and JB - cannot be used with AOKP; the first is incompatible with the AOKP/AOSP/CM10.1 userspace and the "JB" one is unstable and not optimized for tablets. All my efforts to obtain kernel source from Hyundai / Toptech / UrBetter bought absolutely nothing (the first two do not even answer).

Since the AOKP build has been stabilized, I've begun working in porting the kernel. By using dmesg and dump tools a fair build configuration file is made; however critical parts are missing because they are masquerated by obscure messages as UrBetter has deliberately messed the drivers.

Since I cannot open my tablet without making damage, I would like to ask if anyone has opened it to supply information: chip part numbers, Lcd display made and model, power management chip etc. Hires pictures are good too as long as part numbers are clear.

http://www.soomal.com/doc/20100003802.htm
Here are clear open-cased pictures and chip number of T7.
Can't find one for T7s.
Hope it helps.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you very much for the info

The lcd panel find was especially helpful, because I think I can adapt it to a s3cfb Samsung MIPI interface.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Frontier,

I have a broken down Freelander 7" DYD model that from I what have seen on forums is the same as the T7s. If so I can take some pics of it and send them.. I took it apart because its picture was glitching so I opened it up to fix it rather than sending it back.. If you think it will help let me know.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Frontier,

I have a broken down Freelander 7" DYD model that from I what have seen on forums is the same as the T7s. If so I can take some pics of it and send them.. I took it apart because its picture was glitching so I opened it up to fix it rather than sending it back.. If you think it will help let me know.
Thanks for the help angaels.

Can you please verify the LCD panel model and make if it's the one mentioned in the link lajozs provided above?

Edit: Uploaded code to GitHub, take a peek we will need all the help we can get.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to your donations (and an extra payment I've got), I've ordered a Mixtile Garage development board with UART interface in order to do kernel work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Frontier,

Excellent news! The LCD Panel is the exact same model! Tell me what you need and I will do it.. Exclamations are because I am excited to be contributing. I don't know enough about the software end to make a difference, but I'm a tinker type of guy at heart. So anything I can do I would be happy to. As far as me getting the LCD to stop flickering was no luck, It's either a ribbon or soldering issue. So it still flickers unless I hold it just right. I decided to not do anything with it yet because I was looking at upgrading the battery on my T7s and other Freelander DYD I bought. So I wanted to try a new battery on the one I had taken apart first.

Looking at the Freelander DYD I was thinking do we know who manufactures their boards, and if so maybe they have a developer board that might work. Or even better developer support... just a thought, since I bought mine from a retailer there was no info on the actual manufacturer except Freelander, and since my foreign language skills are so-so knowing where to look is difficult; and Google Translate only goes so far.

Either way, anything you need just let me know.

Thanks for the help angaels.

Can you please verify the LCD panel model and make if it's the one mentioned in the link lajozs provided above?

Edit: Uploaded code to GitHub, take a peek we will need all the help we can get.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Frontier,

You mentioned you are unemployed, I know things are tough in Greece. I pray that either through your skills you can get enough work to support you and your family. Or that you find an excellent job that you enjoy to last you till the end of your days..

What you are doing for the Android community and the Hyundai community specifically is appreciated, you should be commended for your dedication.

Thank you.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@angaels: Thank you for your kind words. Luckily I've managed to find a temp job and this will help with our expenses

The situation is like this: we have two options.

Option 1: using the code I've posted on the Github (see first post), it is possible to compile an AOKP ROM that will boot the machine using the precompiled kernel (the ICS from 20130318). Unfortunately, due to unknown kernel configuration (and sources) plus missing MALI DDK drivers the system hangs on loading the framebuffer libraries (hwcomposer and the rest). This has the effect of being "stuck" on the startup AOKP logo, even if the base system is operating: connect a USB cable, fire up adb shell and you have a fully working (albeit minimal) Android environment. If proper MALI drivers are found for this kernel version - this means both for 3.0.15 AND JB compatible - I think the board will finish boot and load the desktop.

Option 2 (the impossible one): Finding a kernel for a board similar to ours. Right now I'm using the kernel from Lenovo LePhone K800 (Google Lenovo open source and you'll find it) which is v3.0.15, is for Exynos 4412, has the same camera, touchscreen (FT5x0x_ts) but different power regulator (the most difficult and most dangerous part), lcd and the rest of the system. Compiled this kernel, flashed it, nothing (thank God the T7s is well made, I cannot remember how many times I've flashed it since May...). Without schematics it's almost impossible to develop the kernel; the Mixtile development board will help debug initial kernel loading (via UART) but that's all.

While I am trying things, I'm also sending requests for kernel source to various vendors selling this board which is believed to be the one used in developing the T7-T10 series (except this one uses SGX graphics instead of Mali) without results (they either ask for money for the board - over $1500 - or refuse to provide source). This board uses ACT8847 PMU which is the same one used on our tablets (the power regulator) and I cannot find ANY source code (kernel tree, reference code, anything) for it. I believe this is the main reason the Lenovo kernel does not power on the device. Sent e-mail to Active-Semi.com (in the community section there is their address, albeit for sales) but no answer so far. I also believe that the s702 board is an OEM board developed by UrBetter for their customers (the fake Hyundai/Toptech, Freelander DYD and a Turkish one which sells the same tablet) because I haven't found (so far) an Exynos 4412 implementation that uses this PMU for power regulator other than this UrBetter board.

Thus I conclude that the kernel has
-90% UrBetter code and the rest are customizations from "Hyundai"/Toptech (MALI, MT6620).

For the rest of the system, I have (hopefully) working code for the 3-axis accelerator (the LTM8033 is compatible with Freescale MMA7660), the touchscreen (FocalTech FT5306), the MTK 6620 combo chip (this one is pretty complete: WiFi, BT, GPS, FM and firmware) but I cannot move on without the ACT8847.

I feel bad because enough people have made donations for CWM and AOKP and this ROM might not come to light due to the 'closeness' of these manufacturers. But as long as my T7s is alive, I'll keep trying

Feel free to browse and download the AOKP code from the GitHub; the Exynos 4412 HAL system is complete, compiles without issues (spent over 30 hours on debugging it) and it is targetting JB mr1.
I will also upload kernel sources after fixing some annoying errors.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So does it work. How long left do you think?
I do not know, I do not have source code for either Mali or the kernel to finish it.
That's why I'm posting sources if someone has access to kernel source and can help.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Outside the post you mentioned on what the Mixtile board will help you do. What is the benefit? It sounds as though even with the board were missing important pieces.. You said the Hyundai was willing to sell you the source for $1500? Of course there's no guarantee that they would give you everything you need.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Outside the post you mentioned on what the Mixtile board will help you do. What is the benefit? It sounds as though even with the board were missing important pieces.. You said the Hyundai was willing to sell you the source for $1500? Of course there's no guarantee that they would give you everything you need.
The Mixtile Garage board will help with initial bootstrap of the kernel as the T7s (and all tablets) lack UART serial interface (i.e I need access to a console in order to see why the kernel is crashing).
If the kernel starts AND we manage to find source for the PMU then it will work directly on T7s.

"Hyundai"/Toptech did not respond at all to my requests, UrBetter - the vendor who manufactures the development board used to develop Hyundai T-series - asked for $1500 and the price includes a DVD with full board source code (kernel 3.0.15) and schematics. I've asked for the sources but they declined as it's their policy to give sources only if you buy the board. It's not an option to buy this board because I am not a device manufacturer and it will be silly to spend so much money on a device that has run its course. I'm am also trying to contact other non-Chinese retailers of this board, asking them for the kernel source but no answer so far.

Of course, if we find another consumer Exynos 4412 device using ACT8847 and it's kernel, we are good to go; the problem is that UrBetter are the only ones who produce a developer board with Exynos 4412 and ACT8847, most Exynos4412 dev boards use either Maxim8994 or 8997 ICs which are supported by the mainline kernel. I cannot find anyone else who uses ACT8847 together with Exynos 4412; I have source code from a leaked Rockchip SDK using ACT8846 but it's of no use because the code is tailor-made for the RK3188 CPU. In the end, I might try to adjust the ACT8446 PMU driver to work with the ACT8847 IC my tablet has and I just hope that I won't kill it completely

·
Registered
34 Posts
The Mixtile Garage board will help with initial bootstrap of the kernel as the T7s (and all tablets) lack UART serial interface (i.e I need access to a console in order to see why the kernel is crashing).
If the kernel starts AND we manage to find source for the PMU then it will work directly on T7s.

"Hyundai"/Toptech did not respond at all to my requests, UrBetter - the vendor who manufactures the development board used to develop Hyundai T-series - asked for $1500 and the price includes a DVD with full board source code (kernel 3.0.15) and schematics. I've asked for the sources but they declined as it's their policy to give sources only if you buy the board. It's not an option to buy this board because I am not a device manufacturer and it will be silly to spend so much money on a device that has run its course. I'm am also trying to contact other non-Chinese retailers of this board, asking them for the kernel source but no answer so far.

Of course, if we find another consumer Exynos 4412 device using ACT8847 and it's kernel, we are good to go; the problem is that UrBetter are the only ones who produce a developer board with Exynos 4412 and ACT8847, most Exynos4412 dev boards use either Maxim8994 or 8997 ICs which are supported by the mainline kernel. I cannot find anyone else who uses ACT8847 together with Exynos 4412; I have source code from a leaked Rockchip SDK using ACT8846 but it's of no use because the code is tailor-made for the RK3188 CPU. In the end, I might try to adjust the ACT8446 PMU driver to work with the ACT8847 IC my tablet has and I just hope that I won't kill it completely
Hi, Frontier!

I must thank you for your efforts and am hoping to see a successful build soon. The T7s is simply too good to be missing a decent 4.2 ROM!
I was browsing for stuff on the T7s and stumbled upon this post on a Russian forum (http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=422687&st=4040). The following is the post (Google translated)

"People who are building their firmware . Dug resource organization, which sells motherboards SoC based exynosXXXX, including exynos4412. Origen Board (http://www.origenboard.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)
as chip wireless connections (Bluetooth, GPS, Wi-Fi) is used mt6620, and that on our plate. In the freely available source code. The forum datasheets across the board.
For those who will dig in our login / pass: bolsa1 / bolsabolsa Posted 9.28.2013, 4:19 p.m.: strateg1970, mt6620 post has been edited alexkashsh - 09.28.2013, 4:27 p.m."

I don't know if you have seen this or if this can help you at all, but this is the least I can do.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi Eduardoo,

I have used source code parts from the git repositories of Insignal (the makers of Origen board), thank you for the information

1 - 20 of 245 Posts