Android Tablets Forum banner
421 - 440 of 460 Posts

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Comp zip and TWRP for 3rd batch Crystals, they have been tested by flsuperstore and after some more feedbacks I'll add it to the op

·
Registered
75 Posts
i have some questions...you released compatibility for batch 3 does that mean no matter what kernel version you have you can flash it?
my crystal status
android ver-4.1.1
kernel [email protected]
droid07-sz))#8 SMP PREEMPT Mon Nov 19
10:29:54 CST 2012
Build Number- 20121119 Serial No- 121208Gxxxxx
Firmware- 1119
status- Stock and Rooted with crystal root patch.

is it safe to flash CM10/10.1 on it with the new compatibility zip?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Comp zip and TWRP for 3rd batch Crystals, they have been tested by flsuperstore and after some more feedbacks I'll add it to the op
How did you solve the chengen.tan kernel problem and how is it that this compatibility zip could work for both versions of the batch 3? Can people with the chengen.tan kernel use this comp zip to overwrite their bootloader/kernel and unlock their tablets? Which boot.img did you use or did you build/modify one?

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
This comp zip is for third batch only. They came with a firmware from December. Flsuperstore may give you more details, maybe they can be recognized from the serial #

I used the kernel that came with the stock ROM that latest flsuperstore crystals were equipped, I was tired of waiting for ainol so told frank how to take a backup of the partition.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
This comp zip is for third batch only. They came with a firmware from December. Flsuperstore may give you more details, maybe they can be recognized from the serial #

I used the kernel that came with the stock ROM that latest flsuperstore crystals were equipped, I was tired of waiting for ainol so told frank how to take a backup of the partition.
So it sounds like it's the chengten.tan kernel version of the batch 3. There are two versions of the batch 3 both with 1212 serial numbers but they have different kernels. The grady.wang kernel version seems to work fine with the batch 2 comp zip but the chengten.tan kernel version would brick if you tried to flash anything.

I tried using the kernel that came with the 1212 stock ROM from the chengten.tan version as well and couldn't get it to work, of course I was working on unbricking and not a comp zip, so hopefully this comp zip works for everyone. Did you need to unpack it and repack it because the boot.img I got from other users backups was about 8mb? Just curious and thanks for this!

Frank, any chance you can chime in here and give some more details? I'd also like to know, if you flash this with CM10, does the device still have the chengten.tan kernel? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,026 Posts
So it sounds like it's the chengten.tan kernel version of the batch 3. There are two versions of the batch 3 both with 1212 serial numbers but they have different kernels. The grady.wang kernel version seems to work fine with the batch 2 comp zip but the chengten.tan kernel version would brick if you tried to flash anything.

I tried using the kernel that came with the 1212 stock ROM from the chengten.tan version as well and couldn't get it to work, of course I was working on unbricking and not a comp zip, so hopefully this comp zip works for everyone. Did you need to unpack it and repack it because the boot.img I got from other users backups was about 8mb? Just curious and thanks for this!

Frank, any chance you can chime in here and give some more details? I'd also like to know, if you flash this with CM10, does the device still have the chengten.tan kernel? Thanks.
Other than it works no...

The Bootloader and Boot images of the MTD are all 8MB. Even on the old ones. That's just how the flash is for those two partitions.

The best way to test all this as an end user is simple. Attempt to boot the first generation TWRP/CWM into recovery. If it doesn't hang(Takes forever to boot into recovery and when you get into recovery it says you cannot mount ubifs and has a lot of errors) then you can flash CM10/10.1 and the first/second generation comp zips. At worst you will have to flash just the comp zips to get the camera/gesensor working correctly. No harm no foul here.

If it does hang. Just shut down the tablet and put the third generation TWRP uImage_recovery on the Micro SD and boot into recovery. It should do this very quick. Then you can now flash CM10/10.1/Kang etc.... and the 3rd generation comp zip.

The Kernel version is still 3.0.8-gcda87f3-dirty [email protected] after flash.

I had originally come up with the idea to try a cat proc of the mtd paritions. And CT said it probably would work. I just didn't know exactly how to do the commands because I'm still only an intermediate Linux guy. So CT came up with some commands and we spent a long time trying to figure it out. The problem was I kept getting some weird errors and sounds that came from my computer when we tried cat proc/mtd/mtd2 > boot.img, and also we tried other busybox commands too of which I can't remember that did the same thing.

Well to make a short story really long....

I came home real late last night at like 5AM. And I was so pissed that we didn't have CM10 for the Crystal that I googled my arse off to find the following command:

dd if=/dev/mtd/mtd4 of=/sdcard/boot.img bs=4096

This finally worked. We had tried these commands with busybox and I was getting non-stop errors. But just that line in the shell(adjusting the mtd# for the correct partition) I was able to rip the bootloader and the kernel. Christian does the rest. That's why he's the man.

This all could be avoided if Ainol would have just released the damn stock firmware. I guess buying $80K USD worth of tablets in the last few months puts me at the bottom of their priority list.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
We've had that boot.img for over a week now, you could have just snagged it from us. Tigger-gg figured out how to pull the files fairly quickly and 3ndymion provided a full rip of everything, including the system folder with all the firmware files. Our comp zip is the same as CT's except our boot.img is 8MB but if you look at it's actual size, like if it's packed in a zip file, it's the same as the one in CT's comp zip. So the reason it didn't work must have something to do with the size.

Sounds like everything past the rip was up to CT, so I guess that question would fall to him. How did you reformat the 8MB boot.img to be the correct size and functional? Also, would you be willing to do the same thing to the bootloader.img and recovery.img, so we can put together the full official firmware package? Those and the boot.img were the only things missing. I tried unpacking and repacking the boot.img and the unpack script worked fine but the repack script I got from you didn't work.

Here are the files if you are willing.

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #431 ·
bootloader.img can't be touched, it's an u-boot binary.

I did nothing special but using the usual tools to unpack and repack the boot image.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
bootloader.img can't be touched, it's an u-boot binary.

I did nothing special but using the usual tools to unpack and repack the boot image.
That's strange, I used the pack/re-pack scripts you sent me and it I've still been unable to repack anything. Guess maybe I need to love to Ubuntu instead of Windows.

Too bad about the bootloader, guess we'll have to wait for a complete unbricking package. The one that I put together that works now is sort of complicated and replaces the chengten.tan kernel with the grady.wang kernel.

·
Super Moderator
1,185 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hey guys. I just found this thread. I'm getting a bit confused with information scattered in so many different threads.

Anyway, I finally got around to doing what fuser mentioned to me in putting a recovery on the sdcard. ClockworkMod didn't work, claiming bad MTD partition maps, but TWRP saw everything fine. I did a full backup with TWRP. I don't know if it'll do any of you any good now, but it's there just in case. I have the Novo 7 Crystal batch 3 with the newer chengan.tan kernel.

Ainol Crystal Batch 3 TWRP Backup

All other related files & rips in my folder:

My Google Drive Folder

Mine is still stock / untouched. If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know & I'll gladly do it. I'm slowly working on learning my way to the very core of this thing, specifically hardware-wise.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi tried to flash the rom and got some problems my crystal is batch 3 with older kernal dirty wang.. I flashed crystal clear with comp 1.5 for batch 2 with the stock recovery. It worked and process completed succesfully..used crystal clear rom for some days and i wanted to try out cm10/aokp. With comp 1.1. So the cm10 flashed succesfully but gaps instalation aborted and also comp 1.1 instalation aborted via stock and twrp recovery. Now i am on my stock firmware 1119. What was the problem plz help..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hello Christain, hats off to u, for such a nice work. ive already tried CM10, and i gotta say its quite good, infact my favourite among the roms here. yesterday flashed AOKP and all went good except audio problem. i dont know its a common problem or i m the only one here experiencing it. when i play a song, it stats playing well, but as soon as the lights turned off and lockscreen came up audio is greatly distorted. im guessing when cpu is going to sleep, it starts the problem. any solution here?? and can we expect one final update with all the bugs solved since aokp has reached milestone. also, i m using batch 1 crystal, dont know why compatibility 1.7 doesnt work well. so i ve to use 1.o.3 and what exactly the diff between these 2??

·
Registered
6,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #437 ·
Latest aokp is in par with latest aokp 4.1 sources.
Different story for aokp 4.2, I'll update it but not as much as cm.

Try increasing CPU freq with screen off editing build.prop

·
Registered
148 Posts
Ok. I am now with CyanogenMod 10.
What is better than Crystal clear:

1.Bluetooth dongle and supposedly 2 models bluetooth gps support

2.Flash video is working with latest flash player. On Crystal clear - flash menus and adds work, but flash videos are just white

3. If you set wifi to be on while in sleep- it simply stays on. You can even set it with a time out. So it definitely is software problem of stock, not a hardware limitation.

4.Rich power menu- power off, reboot, reboot to recovery, take screenshot(but it fails to save it)

5. Slightly better antutu score: 8500 vs 8200

What is worse:

1. Audio lag on screen off was worse . This time beats audio/dsp manager failed to fix it . Finally fixed it with pimp my beats from pimp my rom. Surprisingly dsp manager failed to change how music sounds. Fortunately the app music volume eq works after the mod.

2.Used 1.7 comp zip all went fine but after a few reboots wifi refused to work. Flashed 1.0.3. All is fine for now, but this sucked.

3. Battery life is definitely worse by at least 30% than on Crystal clear . Easy battery saver helps...but not much

Batch1

Fuser. Can you guide me how you improved battery life ? Would it be applicable to CM? Thanks.

·
Registered
139 Posts
2.Used 1.7 comp zip all went fine but after a few reboots wifi refused to work. Flashed 1.0.3. All is fine for now, but this sucked.
I told it serveral times: You can use the newest comp file. The Crystal loses wifi after a REBOOT. If you shutdown your tablet and turn it on again, wifi works.

To be clear again: You can make 500 reboots, wifi will never work, but after every complete turn off and restart, it will work ALWAYS.

I do not the reason for that, but I have a batch 1 and a batch 3 at home and I tested it with Paranoid, CM 10 and CM 10.1 ... and really, I did hundreds of reboots and restarts literally.

REBOOT = wifi failure

TURN OFF + START = wifi success

421 - 440 of 460 Posts