Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here have experience with Google's Chrome OS? I can't help but think that this might be the kind of device that I would want that OS on. A flip down keyboard would be nice too, but being that Chrome is small, quick, and works well with flash, I'd like to see it implemented here even if it's just a proof of concept.

·
Registered
446 Posts
you wouldnt want chrome os on here.....everything in chrom os is stored off site on a server. Its a cloud computing platform that puts almost nuthin on the device itself, designed for people always online....wouldnt work for this device

·
Registered
11 Posts
I thought chrome would be a good one to try and all. If all you wanted it for was to browse the internet. Would it be possible to do something like the Debian os boot from SD or a memory stick? I would really like to try it on the Eken;)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Chrome OS freaking rocks!!!!! It is pure win. I've been playing around with it for a few weeks now and it will be just one of the new additions to my used OS's.With that said there currently is no official support for utilizing touch screen capabilities. I'm sure it would work if you had the USB Cable Hack and used a mouse and keyboard, but it isn't designed for Tablets in mind - it's main purpose is for using it on Netbooks.The soon coming Ubunutu Netbook version is supposed to have a lot of Touch Screen integration that would make it able to be used on tablets.The Google OS is meant for computers with an always on network signal. Most of the apps in the OS are from cloud based services. But the OS does heavily use Google Gears which would allow you to work on stuff while offline. You're a little limited though without a constant Internet Connection.I do suggest you burn a copy to a 2gb thumb drive and play around with Chrome OS. It's really neat.To use the OS you either need coding skills and the ability to create the package needed to run. However there are a couple people who have already done the work and offer their working version of the OS to use. I currently use the Hexxeh build named FLOW. Grab it here: Chromium OS builds by Hexxeh . Instructions on how to burn and run the OS is also on that site.If you feel punchy enough to build your on Chrome OS version then check out: Getting and Building a Chromium-Based OS - The Chromium ProjectsThe Chrome OS is often touted as the best OS for any Google Tablet, but after using it for a few weeks I think that only Wireless Carriers could make this happen. They probably would offer the tablet real cheap and then use a 3g connection to the device that has a data charge associated with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes mate I've done the Hexxeh usb stick, but didn't get past the log in screen my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth and won't work with it. I need to sort out some others and try it.Don't think I would have a chance to build my own OS though, wish I could

1 - 5 of 5 Posts