Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody. I have been following this forum with interest and I have implemented so many of the lovely little hacks here. I am using Roebeet's 8/6 altered firmware, which I adore, and I've tweaked the WiFi according to the instructions of enjoys1 and spincontrol as relayed by oozeeh, and installed clockworx's optimized DVM w/ JIT. I want to express my sincere appreciation to all you good folks who have spent so much of your valuable time clarifying things for those of us with a lower level of expertise. However, I still have one remaining issue that bugs me all out of proportion to the amount I use it. That is the choppy video playback. Has anybody had any luck with particular playback software, or encoding with particular settings, or a particular codec, etc.? I don't often use the video playback, but I probably would more if it weren't as choppy. Thank you very much for your assistance.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I bought the Mrs a HTC HD2 phone and on it were MP4 videos of Transformers 1 and 2. Holy crap but they play wonderfully on the HD2 4.3 inch screen. I copied them over to the PDN (1.5 GB file size each) and tried to play them. PDN video player barfed at them, so did Act 1 and Meridian. Just gave errors and closed. Rockplayer did actually play them but slow.OK not really a fair test as the resolution of the videos are 853 x 480 but ity looks like Rockplayer is the only one which can even come close to playing them. I'll resize them and see what happens.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I use MediaCoder to convert videos to the iPhone extension. The playback still chops every 5 seconds, but it is watchable. At least the audio syncs now.I also tried Total Video Converter (effectmatrix.com) (trialware; $30), and it was really robust, but MediaCoder served my purposes, so I have not decided to purchase Total Video Converter yet (and probably will not).Other than that, I haven't spent much time testing different FPS and BITRATES, etc. I will in the coming weeks. I use the smallest *.VOB files from a copied DVD movie for my tests.Media players that work:RockplayerPDMediaPlay_Video (stock player)MeridianmVideoPlayerThey all work well. The difference is mainly the built-in zoom functionality and seek bar.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It plays video better than the Eken M001 did, by far, but still, the video quality on this device won't be up to par with the devices such as the Archos 7HT, the Cruz Tablet, or other devices that are actually made to display high quality video.That said, I've used Handbrake to encode video for the PDN, I use the built in setting for exporting mp4s for an iphone/ipad, and set the FPS to 23.976. The quality is still..mediocre, but it plays, in sych, even if it is a bit choppy and the resolution is noticably not that great. But for a sub $150 device, thats not a terribly bad drawback IMO, and like I said, is miles ahead of the Eken M001's video capabilities.

·
Registered
133 Posts
xelachen,I wouldn't harp on it too much. Why?Well, the sample video that comes with the PDN plays perfectly. So, there is potential for all videos to do so. We just need to figure out what the holdup is (bitrate, fps, audio sync, etc.). Maybe, I'm wrong, and the hardware just can't play video smoothly, but I have hope.Personally, I think that videos are very watchable, just not HD content. But then again, you're not going to see HD on 800x600.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The sample video does not play perfectly (and I did just refresh to an 8/6 stock firmware, coincidentally - so I restested). They used a video with no human movement, so it's deceptive.Test: Play the video on your PC first, then immediately on the PDN. You'll see the difference right away. I'm guessing it's rendering at ~18fps, which matches up with other full screen 4:3 MP4's I've used on the device.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Downsized the Transformers 1 movie to 480 x 272. Rockplayer was still choppy. Meridian player played it OK, very slight hesitation every once in a while but Act 1 played perfect from what I can tell. PDN Video player worked fine too. I also tried an MKV movie 720 x 300 @25fps but nothing recognised it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
roebeet beat me to it; it only appears to play perfectly. It's got no real movement in it, despite appearing otherwise. I mean, I'd love to be able to play videos/movies on the PDN, but I'm not about to reencode things for it specifically. Color me lazy. ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have applied many of the hacks from this site and have spent the past couple days working to get watchable video playback. I had a DVD rip of Iron Man from a while ago that played almost perfectly from my SD card with the default player and it only jittered during fast action sequences. That's acceptable to me but i couldn't recall how I did it and was unable to reproduce it until tonight. I am running the 8_06 firmware with the consolidated hacks. I also tried installing the "ARM11 optimized DVM w/ JIT" hack today but it made video playback much worse and my PDN started crashing randomly. I removed that hack and it's back to good again.I find the best playback with the PDMediaPlay_Video (stock player). It's stripped down but the video looks the best.I use handbrake 0.9.4 on my intel mac mini. I tried all the presets but this one works best:iPod Legacy - all default options - i will list them for people using other programs:File Format: MP4Video Codec: H.264Framerate: Same as sourceAverage Bitrate: 1500iPod 5G Support is checkedOnce the encoding is done i rename the file from .m4v to .mp4I don't mind the extra time to re-encode my favorite movies. It will be worth it on my next trip.Hope this helps!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm not usually an A/V guy, but I thought I'd try to convert a video too. With many people trying different things, someone's bound to hit the right combination. Here's my first attempt. Is this better or worse than what you guys are getting?she-wolf.mp4It stutters every few seconds. I tried to imitate the settings from the packed-in video, but I must've goofed because my video that's over three and a half minutes long is about 17MB while their 15MB video is only half a minute.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Im trying to figure out why the movie stutters. Video playback seems smoother without the DVM w jit hack. Anyone else get this issues? I know people say the scrolling seems smoother with out the hack maybe there was some video output optimization that we are missing in the hack?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I personally don't think there is a good combo with the current firmware. It's simply a question of the chipset + the video drivers in use + the playback application + the screen resolution. At 800x600, full screen is choppy regardless and 16:9 videos are barely passable. There's another app that allows you to reduce the screen playback size (I forget the name now) and when I reduced the video size to the original size like 480x208, there's a noticeable difference in playback smoothness. But, playing a video at 480x208 on a 800x600 screen is not really a solution for me.What I'm hoping is that either the 2.1/2.2 builds and / or better video drivers that take advantage of the chipset might improve playback, in the future.
y0chang;41545 said:
Im trying to figure out why the movie stutters. Video playback seems smoother without the DVM w jit hack. Anyone else get this issues? I know people say the scrolling seems smoother with out the hack maybe there was some video output optimization that we are missing in the hack?
I noticed the same, but for me the UI smoothness is more important than the video playback. It could be that the video driver in use has compatibility issues, but so far any drivers we've tried from builds like the Samsung Moment (same chipset) have not worked.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You guys might be onto something in regards to the recompiled DVM. I still have it (the recompiled DVM). I just tried playing the stock video and it stutters every few seconds as well. I don't recall it doing that when I first played that video right out of the box.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Using Handbrake (Windows version), I tried iPhone/iPod Tough presets with varying FPS (5 to 29.97).All stuttered every 5 seconds, so it's not the FPS. The 29.97 fps yielded the best video smoothness obviously.One thing I noticed...Robo Defense stutters also every 5 secs. Therefore, this is definitely a processing issue, not a video player issue. I wonder if the RAM is set to refresh every 5 seconds or so.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Just downloaded the act1 trial and installed and without a doubt playback is noticeably superior to that of the PDN player with h264 mp4 video. Watching a 640x480 24fps 1mbps in fullscreen/lanscape and while it's not "Perfect" it is very close and very watchable with only the slightest jerkiness. Whereas the PDN player is extremely jerky and difficult to watch. going to run some more test encodes, but may have to flip for this one.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.