Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Their web site has always been filled with misrepresented specifications and lies. These guys are doing nothing but rebranding.I was suspecting that they were paying you guys when they came in to the ZT180 threads and you guys did nothing. I am very disappointed at the lack of discretion shown by the admins here.Now they are paying you to advertise, and you let these scammers by? What do you take the community for?

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let's look at the products you have just allowed them to list: Orphan M7003: a rebranded Shenzhen Apad iRobot RK2808a 7" tablet, which sells for 700RMB to local distributors. Fair retail pricing is $130-150USD shipped. These guys have the nerve to state that their product is, and I quote:
The Orphan aPad iRobot(TM) is the new high quality version of the unbranded aPad.
These guys are idiotic enough to claim the iRobot trademark for themselves. The pictures on that page don't even match - some of them are for the metal casing one and some for the plastic casing. They have the nerve to call their OS "Android 1.5.2"Also, "2GB DDR"? You cannot be serious about letting these scammers on board.I typically don't hate on rebranders, but these guys are scams.

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
Hi X, im asking a questions and if it is the same as what your posting about, just my interpretation and the way i took it. The chances are im probably wrong. Do you mean the prices next to the forums? if it is the way, i interpreted as slatedroid showing us the lowest prices currently available.PLEASE PLEASE i am not critising you or anyone else, just trying to work it out as i noticed the prices appeared tonight.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This offense is not as major, but I'll post it anyway. Let's look at another product: Buy 10.2" Android Tablet PC - Orphan Win CE MID iPed Slate - iPed-M16 Per unit price of $299 is a scam no matter what they put in it, at least in terms of what is on the market right now. They FINALLY updated their specs to say ZT180 instead of the so called M16 processor. That would have been the remarking of a remarked processor, which would have been a dumb move. They got smarter here. I'm 100% certain their battery life specs are lies. Users are not reporting more than 3 hour continuous use on any ZT180 variant:
#Max battery time: Wifi on: 5 hours; Wifi off: 7 hours
When I reported the ZT180 debacle, I also was clear on this: a fair market price for the tablet is 180-200US. EnsoPad has a reasonable price right now.

·
Registered
954 Posts
[quote name='mingnon;29782]Hi X' date=' im asking a questions and if it is the same as what your posting about, just my interpretation and the way i took it. The chances are im probably wrong. Do you mean the prices next to the forums? if it is the way, i interpreted as slatedroid showing us the lowest prices currently available.PLEASE PLEASE i am not critising you or anyone else, just trying to work it out as i noticed the prices appeared tonight.[/QUOTE'] No. This is probably a result of Orphan/Chinagrabber paying Slatedroid money every month to advertise on the site.When I was a moderator I got to see their business model. The old pricing for the Merimobiles banner was $50 a month. I don't know if they have upped that by now after they demoted my moderator abilities.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Demo version expired on VIA WM8505 based Orphan units: I was doing reading about this, and the root cause is because Eken has put a mechanism in their tablets to prevent device cloning. If this is appearing on any units, they are typically either fake Ekens or have illegitimate firmware installed on them in the first placeAngus analyzed this here: Project Gus ? Eken M001 Protection, Phone Home & "Demo Purpose Only"
I think your tablet has failed its internal licensing check. Try to return it to the retailer that you bought it from. If you now connect it to the internet, it will "phone home" to a company in Shenzhen, China.EDIT: Before you give up try connecting to the internet for a while and leave it connected. It seems like sometimes "phoning home" will verify that it's a legit install and then the message will go away.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Please stop with the "being paid to do stuff " accusations. Those prices + links were actually taken from the wiki. Yes that's right, that means they were provided by forum members for the reason that they had bought one from the same source and had a pleasant experience.

·
Registered
954 Posts
What forum members? Every Chinagrabber link I've seen has wrong info on it. We already know they came in here claiming that apad tv is a legitimate place to buy tablets at a fair price. Just about anyone can edit the wiki. You don't just go make a section for Orphan electronics, a rebranding company that does no R&D of their own, and then post their misleading links on the side and pretend that it's okay.If you don't know what the devices are, don't just go off and make a section on them. You guys make my brain hurt.The fact that you are only putting up links to Merimobiles and Chinagrabber is highly suspicious because we all know Merimobiles has been paying the site to put ads on for some time. Since you don't have any affiliation, please remove the links. If I were you I would have banned all references to Chinagrabber long ago. You guys just did the opposite and made an entire section to propagate their lies, affiliated or not.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
What forum members? Every Chinagrabber link I've seen has wrong info on it. We already know they came in here claiming that apad tv is a legitimate place to buy tablets at a fair price.
The forum members who contribute and maintain the wiki, the same members that you have been agreeing with and supporting yourself. Are you suddenly going to call them backstabbing insiders too? People here are intelligent, you can't pull the wool over their eyes with these accusations that you are spreading like propaganda. What are you going to do, tell everyone to go over to AndroidTablets? No, because they are here because they want to be, none of them are actually buying what you are saying about our being payed. We could show you every transaction in our history, and you wouldn't find anything about Orphan etc. because there has never been a deal with them.Did you know AndroidTablets is actually part of a franchise now? The same people that tried to buy us up too, but we said no. We actually value our community.I'm going to put it to you straight, if you are going to continue with your attitude then you can leave, right now. And don't go crying to AT.net saying that we don't respect our members etc. etc. because we do, you're just looking for an excuse to shit on the name we've made for ourselves.And being disgusted with the time it takes admins to respond to a couple of mere spammers? Like I said before, some of us have jobs to maintain.So I've put it to you. I've been perfectly reasonable and this is by no means a hot-headed response as I've been considering this for some time now.The next move is yours.

·
Registered
954 Posts
The ZT180 response is another topic altogether. I thought we were over than by now. This is about one of your admins creating an entire section on Orphan electronics and posting links to their ads. I'd like to tell people to migrate because of crap like this. While I have already started migrating over at AT as a end-user, I am not about to spam your forums and advertise AT. I'll let users make that choice. But for now I'm still trying to make this place a better.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Yes, that admin was me. Why? Because the community asked me to. The request is in the same forum.http://www.slatedroid.com/f23/orphan-tablets-need-their-own-section-3373/Regardless of the fact I didn't know he was a spammer at that point, there would have been multiple Orphan tablets in the General Devices section, therefore it's only logical that they should have a section of their own.

·
Registered
954 Posts
[quote name='Mike;29808]Yes' date=' that admin was me. Why? Because the community asked me to. The request is in the same forum.[/QUOTE']I think I saw that request. The Orphan M70003 is a rebranded Apad. The Orphan M16 explicitly says that it is a ZT180 variant (now it does. Before they had the nerve to say that their tablet was different. Ensopad's CEO has had a statement on this already. I can dig that up if you don't believe me)The entire Orphan franchise is nothing but a rebranding company claiming to be original design manufacturers. I don't know if they have real manufacturing capabilities, but they are certainly not worthy of their own section, never mind free advertising for their mis-specified and overpriced rebrands. I don't even think they do any design of their own. If you are so inclined I can try to find out more about this company. You can ask your sources, and I can ask mine.Maybe you need to make a section for Flatcomputing, Enso, and just about every rebranding out there. If you wanted to do this for SEO, just append it to the description. The thing that really had me concerned was the ads. You know what you are missing?

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='xaueious;29807]I'd like to tell people to migrate because of crap like this. While I have already started migrating over at AT as a end-user' date=' I am not about to spam your forums and advertise AT. I'll let users make that choice. But for now I'm still trying to make this place a better.[/QUOTE'] Don't try and act the martyr. Would you like to tell me what AT has over SlateDroid? Do they have custom firmware? Do they have a massive community-driven wiki? Do they have 10,000 helpful members? Do they update their news regularly? Do they host their own downloads section? Do they generate their own content? If AT is so good, tell me why you have to link half of the stuff you post there to here? I'm not saying there's a clear-cut better forum, it's all down to personal preference at the end of the day. But if you're going to go around saying things like that you need to back up your opinion.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='xaueious;29809]The Orphan M70003 is a rebranded Apad. The Orphan M16 explicitly says that it is a ZT180 variant (now it does. Before they had the nerve to say that their tablet was different. Ensopad's CEO has had a statement on this already. I can dig that up if you don't believe me)The entire Orphan franchise is nothing but a rebranding company claiming to be original design manufacturers. I don't know if they have real manufacturing capabilities' date=' but they are certainly not worthy of their own section, never mind free advertising for their mis-specified and overpriced rebrands. I don't even think they do any design of their own. If you are so inclined I can try to find out more about this company. You can ask your sources, and I can ask mine.[/QUOTE'] I'm not disputing what you have said, you have your contacts in industry so I would quite happily trust your word. But your accusations about the free advertising is too far. We're not advertising Orphan, we're providing the members with an easy means of comparison and a place to buy them.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay as soon as you remove the Orphan crap please just delete this thread. I don't want to debate AT. This isn't why I posted this. AT gave me admin over there, when you guys kept telling me that you guys had no time to make changes, but you wouldn't trust your members to do the job. I don't own AT but I plan to contribute there to a certain extend, because I have more control over things like this. You wouldn't have to look up my username to see that I am now Admin there. I'm genuinely sorry about my accusations. I got a little too hot headed. -Chow

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
Maybe you need to make a section for Flatcomputing, Enso, and just about every rebranding out there. If you wanted to do this for SEO, just append it to the description. The thing that really had me concerned was the ads. You know what you are missing?
See how I've kept a nice civil tone throughout? There was really no need for that sarcasm, it truly lowers the standard. Can't we have a proper informed debate without having to resort to kicking sand in each other's eyes?And yes, tell me, I am interested to know what we can improve on.

·
Co-Founder
2,103 Posts
[quote name='xaueious;29818]Okay as soon as you remove the Orphan crap please just delete this thread. I don't want to debate AT. This isn't why I posted this. AT gave me admin over there' date=' when you guys kept telling me that you guys had no time to make changes, but you wouldn't trust your members to do the job. I'm genuinely sorry about my accusations. I got a little too hot headed. -Chow[/QUOTE'] Apology accepted, I'll move them back after my lunch.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Glad to be of service Mike. And on what you might help the community, the admin team could use more members. I don't think I want to try again for a little while, but someone could definitely take better care of the subforums. The community is large, but they should be self-sustaining. You should not have to make every small change to forum arrangement, etc.Slatedroid gets traffic. I guess you put up the bit.ly sites to track the clicks, but you can see the impact of putting up those links here, if you didn't know already: It's a cool bit.ly feature:bit.ly statistics for (Buy 10" Android 2.1 iPed - Orphan Tablet PC Windows 6.0 aPad MID Slate iPed-M16)bit.ly statistics for (3g Apad iRobot M003 - 3g WCMDA 7" Android iPed Tablet PC - Apad-M003)I'm hoping no one bought from these guys.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Append: On SEO, one of the reasons why AT is ranked so high is because they have a good selection of keywords. That would be what's in the forum sections.They actually seem to be a solid organization in terms of web management, but they aren't experts with Android as much as web admins.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.