Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy posted something in the reviews about Eken, he said that is posible to change the antenna module from PSP 1000 Eken in to increse the performance and the signal...The module is around 2 dolars, but I would like to know if you got this successfully in order to buy and try to mood :DThis is the Antenna:http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.37788This is the review where the user BigMik77 said: "WiFi antenna replacement for better perfomace ....":http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.39169Thanks

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm not sure if a PSP's wireless antenna would give a better range than the stock antenna enclosed in the Eken, but testing the theory out would not be a hard feat at all...as a matter of fact it's pretty straight forward. Basically it would involve opening the Eken up, getting a soldering gun and heating up the antenna wires on the board enough so that you could remove the wires, and then cutting the snap ends off of that PSP antenna and resoldering them back onto the Eken's motherboard. A much better mod in my opinion would be taking the antenna out of the Eken entirely and mounting an SMA connector on the side of the device...then you could mount one of these in white ( http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5223 ) on the device and improve your WiFi signal dramatically. I would think that antenna rated about 2dBi and would give you the range and signal strength necessary to maintain a good wireless connection.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have done my own mod and soldered a wire (which i twisted around a screwdriver to create a spring type antenna) on the wifi card. I now have 1/2 to 1 bar more in my wifi reception

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote name='blastexx;30649]I've ordered that psp 1000 antenna from dealextreme' date=' when i get it i'll let you know if it's better than the stock antenna.[/QUOTE']me2 , Do you have any idea where to wire the antennea?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I soldered it to the round solder point on the usb wifi stick, i haven't tested the reception yet because there is no wifi on my location right now.....I'll let you know the results !

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have done the mod and it is great! I get two stripes where first there was one, and three stripes where first there was two! ! :)i placed the antenna 'leaf' in the spot where the usb wifi first was (under the speaker)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Blastexx, I am interested in doing this mod but just have a few questions which I hope you won't mind answering for me.Firstly do you think it is better to buy the PSP antenna? Do you get better reception with it than the coil of wire? Is it worth buying the PSP atenna or shall I save myself $2 wow :DSecondly where exactly did you solder it to? Is it the circled area in the pic 027. Also did you cut the little plug off the end and solder the wire direct? Do you solder it to the little silver bit inside the gold circle?Looking at the wifi board I was wondering if the circled bit in pic 026 is a onboard atenna and if it should be soldered there?Thanks mate.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I first soldered it to the round thingy without cutting off the plug. Now it is in my eken with the plug cut off and soldered to the onboard antenna because i had to move the usb wifi card for my 2 speaker mod.I must say that i had the best reception with the plug soldered to the round circle. It is surely better with the PSP antenna then the coil of wire.

·
Registered
187 Posts
[quote name='rocky289;26634]Regarding the wifi strength. I have both PSP 1000 & Eken M001. The PSP would be slightly better but not enough to make me want to surgery.[/QUOTE] I have a PSP 2000 and it works 2 feet further in my house than the Eken M003. Is this MOD really worth adding 2 feet' date=' will it even add 2 feet. I'm sure the WIFI unit on the PSP is a little better in quality. Probably doing a directional anntenna mod would net better results. I'm just saying...[URL=http://www.slatedroid.com/wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Boost_your_Home_Wifi_Signal_with_this_simple_but_effective_mod']LINK[/URL] Our WIKI already has a BOOST antenna on router MOD. Sample from freeantennas.com of the one I'm using

·
Registered
187 Posts
Your right, experimenting is the fun part about it. Since the wifi is a usb dongle, I wonder if just taking a better wifi usb apart and internally mounting would yield better result than onboard. As big as the M003 is, internal antenna mods make since. OR maybe putting an external connector and mounting external antenna? Guess depends how far your router sits. I think if your using the tablet close to your router, then bluetooth would be they best way to connect, less power drain. We are all still waiting on bluetooth tethering for OS 1.6. My 4 year old Nokia N800 and 770 both bluetooth tether to my Verizon cell and work great. Wireless Mobile freedom.

·
Registered
314 Posts
blastexx, when you soldered your antenna while the connector was sill on the antenna did you solder just the center pin to the circle or did you solder both the center pin and antenna nut (I'm guessing the nut is the shield or ground).Below is a picture of the antenna I am getting from Ebay:
Do you think the length of the wire will matter?

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think I may have broke my WIFI card by testing out various antennas on it. I'm thinking of buying an USB WIFI adapter somewhere and using it's innards as my WIFI card. How important is it to get the same chipset that was used originally? Is it a driver issue? If it is a driver issue, then could one just install the driver for that chipset and how would I install the driver?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.