Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,Sorry for my bad english speaking, i'm french.As everyone knows, all the main components (flash + ram + cpu) are on this little cpu card with the Wondermedia chip. Someone posted one day a link to another CPU card using a Cortex A8 and GPU (just like the Motorola Milestone in fact). The main goal of designing such a CPU card with everything useful on it for cost reasons AND be able to upgrade/change the card as often you need (industrial needs as well). So it might be possible to find somewhere another CPU card wich might fit into our Eken M001. Does anybody did research in this way ? Imagine a Cortex A8+ 3D GPU into our little Eken, the power it would have then ;)Sincerely.

·
Premium Member
664 Posts
Hi Phil,G1/DREAM for example we went from 528MHz to 825MHz by compiling a new kernel for one think that little bit EKEN go to 533Mhz if a "dev" know how it is possible to push the limits of processor the EKEN because mine is at 180MHz with Cpubenchmark blocked.Example like this for G1:Kernel 2.6.34.4[KERNELS] the kernel corner - xda-developersMy dream/G1 runs very stable and has 652MhzA more

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi !Yes we can try to overclock the Wondermedia chip, BUT it already runs VERY VERY hot and its not designed to be energy effective, nor contains anything related to decode videos, such as a DSP. The best solution would be to change the cpu card for something better ! CheersPhil

·
Registered
57 Posts
Ciao MujusYou are right: CPU is inadequate. It is too few powerful to do almost anything.But i think: - to find a compatible mainboard + CPU, with compatible soldering points, with compatible voltage- to do all the unsoldering of the old mainboard- to do all the soldering of the new mainboard- to risk to burn all the electronic components ... is it worth the pain?In my opinion, it is more easy to choose a more powerful tablet from scratch

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi ! Well i think it might be still useful to try to find a CPU module somewhere (maybe Eken as well has plans ?) if it not costs a lot (no more than $50) with a more powerful CPU (which might not be hard to be ;) ).Does VIA itself didn't make different package of the Wondermedia 8505 ? or better series still pin-compatibles ? that would be nice. A WM8605 or something ;) well, you got the idea.Regards.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
12 Posts
If I understand the sales terms, they require a minimum order of a 100 pieces and a 10 to 14 week lead time. But I'm with you Mujus, the point is not how practical it is, but to have fun doing it!

·
Registered
1 Posts
The minimum prize for a sample for the largest is 1500$, at least that's what the mailed me when I requested a price... So it might be better to reverse engineer the CPU module, and make your own...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts