Android Tablets Forum banner

CFW_Ubernova Rabid ROM v2.0

17K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  EasySkanking 
#1 ·
Since Netflix did not like being installed as a system app, and the image doesn't support pre-install I have included a link and instructions for Netflix.

Flash photography Font Astronomical object Heat Circle

Main features:
- Based on the official 092011 Fallback Firmware.
- Edited proper default prop to 0,1,1,1 instead of 1,0,0,0
- Removed proprietary Pandigital proprietary apps, Getjar, bloat.
- Added ES Task and File Manager, ES Security, Kindle App, and WiFi Buddy.
- WiFi tweaks.
- Duplicated libraries deleted.
- Some build.prop tweaks to improve performance, wifi responsiveness, and better ram consumption, etc
- Gingerbreak 1.2 pre-installed for root after install.
- New boot animation. "Haters Gonna Hate"

When installing an 8GB or smaller microsd works well with running Gingerbreak after the install.

Install Instructions:
This runs like a normal update so you should still have your apps, but the following is the best way to flash this ROM. Either way backup your files before using.

DOWNLOAD UBERNOVA v2.0

If by using this mod the world comes to and end, or you are suddenly sucked back in time only to accidentally kill your grandfather leaving your future uncertain, I take no responsibility for the consequences. Oh yeah. same thing if it screws up your tablet.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. REMEMBER TO BACKUP ANY THING YOU WANT SAVE BEFORE FOLLOWING THESE INSTRUCTIONS. THIS WILL WIPE YOUR TABLET TO A CLEAN FACTORY-ISH STATE.

1. Copy the the file to a microsd either directly on your PC or to the /sdcard through USB to the tablet. Make sure it is the only update file on the card.
NEVER INSTALL ANY UPDATE FROM THE INTERNAL STORAGE. If something should go wrong you will be stuck with that same image reloading every time you try to go into recovery and you may never have a way to remove or get past it.

2. With the tablet powered off and no microsd in the slot, power on by holding down the volume + (plus) button and then pressing and holding power.

3. Release power after the 1st Pandigital splash screen then hold volume + for a couple more seconds then release.

4. Wait until the Android with the triangle and exclamation over it's head appears.

5. Quickly press and hold power then press volume + to bring up the recovery menu. Use volume + to move up the menu, volume - to move down, and power to select

6. Scroll down and select Wipe data & cache, then select Yes delete all user data .

7. When complete select Wipe cache partition and wait until complete.

8. Insert your Microsd with the downloaded zip into the tablet and wait about 60 seconds.

9. Select Apply update from external sdcard. ( if the microsd does not show, power off by holding power then repeat step 2 but leave the microsd in the tablet. When it goes to the Android again then follow step 5 and start back here at step 9.)

10. Scroll to the Ubernova_v2.0.test.zip.zip file and select it.

11. Wait for it to complete then select Reboot system now.

The first boot will be slow as it has to rebuild the cache.

FOR NETFLIX: Follow these instructions BEFORE rooting with Gingerbreak:

Download and install THIS NETFLIX

You can copy it to a microsd or if you are familiar with ADB copy the file to your ADB directory, connect your tablet to your PC then open a command prompt in your ADB directory and use :

Code:
adb install netflix.apk
When the install is done, reboot, then launch and setup Netflix.

Automotive design Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Gadget Bumper

Communication Device Gadget Flat panel display Font Display device

Flash photography Display device Fun Event Electronic device

Because the system is not the most powerful, it is always a good idea to give Netflix a minute or two to load the whole menu. This will help with both selecting a movie and streaming. It usually only takes about 30 seconds for a movie to fully sync for me and I have crap DSL LOL. You can also go to the Netflix website and log into you account to change the stream quality from Best Quality to Better Quality. I can't really see a difference except loading times.

Once Netflix is done go into the app dock and run Gingerbreak to get root. If you get a Gingerbreak error (You shouldn't but it can happen) reboot and try again. If that doesn't work try a different Microsd card then try again.

For Play you can use this Installer DOWNLOAD from my THREAD

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: mrjoexx
#2 ·
reserved

#5 ·
Netflix

#7 ·
We tried many tester tablets with the 012012 including my custom and always had buffering issues or not loading, no matter how it was installed.

#9 ·
The ROM as well as Superuser installed perfectly, however, GAPP's won't let me link my google account to the tablet and GETJAR is still there! 1 Mobile Market which is the best alternative I could find to Android Market which worked fine on the old Ubernova but now downloading apps with it doesn't work. Also, Six Guns is a game installed on there that can't be used and I don't know how to uninstall since it is a system app. Cool Reader which is another system app also doesn't work. I keep on getting error messages from all the GAPP's installed saying that they have stopped working. Every third party app i've downloaded so far stopped working at random times as well. Otherwise, I like it.

#10 ·
Did you remember to wipe cache and data then wipe cache before installing? You could try a factory reset or just delete the cache.

#11 ·
Sixguns did error when I reflashed which is odd because I played it before deciding to add it to the image. Let me see if I had a different apk . I used my gapps installer and Play is working fine so is coolreader.

#12 · (Edited by Moderator)
Love that Start Uber screen,nice....
Any chance that you can do a image that is a "striped" and have all of the games and applications in a separate zip that we can load after we have the unit flashed, this can possibly eliminate the error issues?
I liked what tipster used to do with his flashes,get the max out of the slate and then he had a separate collection of checked applications that gave you the choice to load or not?
Best Regards.
Seasons Greetings
Radioman52

#13 ·
I have a request for which I will gladly send a few bucks your way

Can you please load the R2D2 boot animation http://androidbootanimation.com/android-boot-animations/r2d2-boot-animation-for-android/

I tried unzipping and the ROM which would have worked fine but I don't know what program was used to zip it, I was able to get it to flash, but it hung up and looped while starting

I also tried using the app Boot Animations ★ root and that ended up killing my wifi for some reason so now after probably 10 hours of setting up and resetting up and resetting up, I'm back to square one

the reason is this is my son's tablet and he really wants the r2d2

I really appreciate it

#14 ·
I was never able to add a Google account with v1.0. Will I have the same issues with v2.0? Or is there just some way of doing it that I'm unaware of? The "Add Account" option in settings only lets me add Skype or Corporate. Also, I can't get the ADB thing to work at all. Not getting it. How do I get the pad to connect to the PC?

#15 ·
Okay, so flashed this ROM after clearing out v0.1, and all of the cool visual effects and settings were gone. It looked like stock, but with some other apps (including GetJar). So I cleared it out and went back to v0.1, and it's a little different, but it doesn't look anything like it did before. Did I do something wrong? I cleared out all data before flashing, but now I can't get away from stock settings.

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Graphically it is stock. Too many people complained about the visual customizations so I took them out.

I leave the identifier alone.

#20 ·
The 0.1 flash has a more "interesting" visual look (its not stock like 2.0). I kind of liked the 0.1 visual over what I see in 2.0 and I have not seen any complaints on the open forum, as indicated by K that the users did not like 0.1.
I guess what you will need to do is ask yourself if you need the 2.0 "improvements" , See K commentary on improvements.

Radioman52

#23 ·
After installing your custom ROM, I have a few issues.

1-Wireless does not work, checked all the settings, even rolled it back to fallback firmware to test the wireless, and it works fine on the fallback....
2-Still have all the crapware, GetJar, etc...

Followed your instructions to the letter (I think), so I am not sure what is going on with this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#26 ·
There is no reason wifi shouldn't work. This firmware is the based off the rollback firmware, so essentially you are just reinstalling the same firmware without the mods and tweaks. This is the only report of wifi not working so I cn;t say for sure other than before flashing make sure you do all the data wipes.

#27 ·

#29 ·
I just bought a new tablet (Dell Venue 7) and was cleaning up the old girl to hand down to my son. I flashed it back to stock and then flashed it to UberNova 2.0. I also installed the market AKA Play Store from the link in your first post. Your instructions were excellent and the flash went flawlessly. jeffS78 complained about crapware like GetJar still being included. I installed ROM Toolbox Lite from the Play Store and removed GetJar, Cool Reader, Amazon, and a couple of other apps. I did have one problem, I kept getting an error message
Code:
#SU Binary Outdated
and updating failed. I installed Superuser by clockworkmod from the Play Store and that problem is solved.

#31 ·
It's probably because the one I used in the ROM is so outdated. I still troll ########### trying to catch a deal on the Supernova to try and do v3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.