Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

does anyone know where, in the system, is stored carrier data? It should exist in a file. Saved APN's and similar things about carrier as we as network code.

Best Regards

·
Registered
30 Posts
Sorry to raise this dead thread. Seems I bought one of these tablets too late. The carrier ids are in the init.rc file. I'm currently trying to mod this but (and please forgive my noobish-ness here. not a native linux user) it seems as though the root file system is actually a ramdisk image that gets loaded from the 'ramdisk-uboot.img' file that is part of the firmware flashing, and is read only.

As far as i can tell there is no way to remount this with write access and the only way to change this is to modify the the .img file itself and reflash. Unfortunately the image doesn't seem to be standard yaffs format so will not extract. Currently looking for some help to extract and edit this file, or at least some way to modify the init.rc file. Anyone able to help?

Ta

EDIT: actually is it possible to have some sort of update.zip file (i'm sure i've seen something like that talked about somewhere) put into the sdcard root dir and run it to setprop the correct settings? Or am i talking out my arse?

edit2: chatting as i research so forgive the ramblingness. the img files dont seem to be cramfs either i think. a $file on them shows them to be VMS alpha executable. the uboot image, which i think is the one i need to edit, is 'u-boot legacy uImage, ramdisk, Linux/ARM, RAMDisk Image (Not compressed)'. I should think 'not compressed would be good news, but i haven't a clue how to access what's in it.

Just throwing loads of shit out here and hoping some of it will stick with someone who knows a little bit more than me. any ideas anyone?

Ok so it's the zImage i need to edit. It contains the init.rc file that i need to change the US provider ids to UK provider ids (i want to use UK market not US). so I need to unpack zImage, edit it, and repack it. Anyone take up the challenge

edit3

ok so it seems it's next to impossible to edit zImage and repackage, so is it possible to make some sort of script to autorun on boot to change these values with setprop. Is it even setprop? i'm so tired

·
Registered
33 Posts
edit3

ok so it seems it's next to impossible to edit zImage and repackage, so is it possible to make some sort of script to autorun on boot to change these values with setprop. Is it even setprop? i'm so tired
see http://www.denx.de/wiki/view/DULG/HowToAddFiles.

Install u-boot tools in Ubuntu as root:
Code:
<br />
apt-get install u-boot-tools<br />
Look at the following makefile for how to unpack and pack the initrd:
Code:
<br />
unpack-initrd:<br />
	-mkdir initrd<br />
	cd initrd && dd if=../ramdisk-uboot.img  bs=64 skip=1 | gunzip |  cpio -ivd<br />
<br />
pack-initrd:<br />
	cd initrd && find . | cpio -ov -H newc | gzip -9 > ../ramdisk-new<br />
	mkimage -A arm -T ramdisk -C none -n ramdisk -e 30800000 -a 30800000 -d ramdisk-new ramdisk-uboot-new.img<br />
	mkimage -l ramdisk-uboot.img<br />
	rm ramdisk-new<br />
Then you need a way to write the new image to the internal flash. I Used a serial console (wires soldered to inside the tablet), but you might find the ways in thread http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/29022-fw-0919r1-fixs-hdmi-gps-wifi-market-bluetooth-3g-modem/ easier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts