Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Hi All! Sorry for my english, but I try to describe my problem.I have an aPad (with red LED and camera)My MID information:Model number: sdkDemofirmware version: 1.5Kernel version: 2.6.25 rockchip version 1.2.7 (rulguan)Build number: RK-1.3.2.eng.root.20100512.140303Now about my problem:I can't load device in loader mode.I turn of device, then switch off, switch on, then hold menu key and plug USB cable into USB connector (near DC). I tried any combinations with hardware keys keys and connector, but device always starts normally and ask drivers for "android phone" (VID 0BB4 and PID 0C02) BUT NOT RK28USB DEVICE :(Works only google drivers from android SDK. Then PC recognize device as Android Composite ADB Interface. But with this driver I can't flash my aPad. RKAndroidDM and RKAndroidTool gives me error. first one says: Wait for wait for rock usb failed, second: can't find upgradable devices.Please, help, how i can flash my device?Thank you,Maxim.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hi Maxim:Need a little more informaion to help you. What type of computer are using to connect to the Apad? (Windows, Linux or Mac)If you are using Windows, which version? (XP, Vista or 7)Once I have that information I can help you out more.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,I tried this on Windows (XP x86 and Seven x64) and Linux (Ubuntu x86)But when i hold menu key and plug USB cable, device starts normally (as well as normal starting). can't access bootloader.and from linux with google SDK I try ./adb shell reboot-bootloader but MID starts normally.

· Registered
101 Posts
Are you sure you're holding down the right button? And if so, are you sure the button works? I know of an aPad user on the forum who had a broken "back button" so double check it when the device is powered up.The symptoms you describe tell me the button is not pressed at the time you put it in the USB cable.

· Registered
16 Posts
With you trying three different operating systems, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the computer. That leaves how it is hooked into the computer or the APad itself.You may not believe this, but the choice of the USB cable you use can make a big difference in terms of getting the Apad to be recgonized as RK28USB device. I had the same exact problem you had at first and thought that flashing the Apad was not going to work for me. You should use a good quality cable with the right connectors on both ends. If you have some spare USB cables that would work with the Apad, try those out. You might find that all of sudden it works.Also try hooking it up directly to a USB port on the computer. If that is not possible and you have to connect to a USB hub, make sure you use a self powered hub. Those bus powered USB hubs can be a real pain at times.FYI the command ./adb shell reboot-bootloader didn't work on my Apad. But if after using different cables and you still cannot get the Apad to be recgonized as RK28USB so you can flash then let me know. There is still other tricks up my sleeve we can try to get your Apad to flash.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
[quote name='McMadd;24862]Are you sure you're holding down the right button? And if so' date=' are you sure the button works? I know of an aPad user on the forum who had a broken "back button" so double check it when the device is powered up.The symptoms you describe tell me the button is not pressed at the time you put it in the USB cable.[/QUOTE'] I sure that button works. You can see it on video 0:02-0:06

· Registered
121 Posts
system is not suppose to boot up when you have the menu key pressed and cable is plugged it will just detect it use xp 32 bit and it will work fine as i was having the same problem with win7 64 bit

· Registered
6 Posts
Hi,I'm very intested for a solution. I've got a blue led apad wich does exactly the same. Somehow the device give's a different vendor id (HTC dream), so it won't load RK28usb driver. Ive got it from TabletstoreUK.Thing i tryed : 3 different cables, 3 different machines (win 7 64, vista 32, vm win xp).Also tryed to change r28usb.inf with vendor id for HTC dream, this give a code 10.(this device cannot start).The strange thing is tough, in de .ini for RKAndroid 1.2 is a entry for RKAndroid ADB with the vendor i.d for a HTC Dream :[ADB_ID]NAME=RKAndroid ADBVID=0x0BB4PID=0x0C02Also changed in RKAndroid .ini the device id:[DEVICE_ID]NAME=RKAndroid LoaderVID=0x071BPID=0x3228to:[DEVICE_ID]NAME=RKAndroid LoaderVID=0x0BB4PID=0x0C02 This give in RkAndroid the message ; RK28 MaskRom device found.Won't help, cause the only option then is : restore.Also gives this a fault : downloading boot file failed, please re-plug device !I'm thinking that the device is bricked somehow, faulty firmware ?Someone who knows ? Any idea's to try ?regards,plurkis

· Registered
90 Posts
Unplug the USB from the pc, Insert the usb mini into the apad, then switch the apad off and back on at the little switch (no need to power down)! Now, holding down the menu button plug the cable into the PC. YOU DONT press any other buttons!!! The apad should be recognised by the PC. Now install the driver by browsing to the folder where it is located (you would have downloaded this). It is best to keep your folders on the desktop for ease of locating them. Let it do its thing.What I will say is that when I first tried to flash mine I had the same issue, the problem was a dodgy USB cable. After I swapped it for a known working one it flashed with NO problems! IF your machine is booting up from simply holding the menu button then I believe it would be best to do a factory reset and try to flash it that way. Maybe somewhere along the line your menu button has been re-routed to act as the power button?

· Registered
101 Posts
Ok, it looks like a real aPad and from what I can see on the video you are doing it right. (correct button, sorry I had to ask
)The fact that you see the pinguin as soon as you plug it in already indicates it is not booting into the special flashmode. The screen is supposed to stay blank.I'm as puzzled as you are and can only agree with mikekelly666 that you should try and find another cable, even though it shows up in windows after a normal boot. (Just curious, does the device offer to mount the drives when it's booted and connected?)Good luck.

· Registered
101 Posts
[quote name='plurkis;24997]I'm very intested for a solution. I've got a blue led apad wich does exactly the same. Somehow the device give's a different vendor id (HTC dream)' date=' so it won't load RK28usb driver. Ive got it from TabletstoreUK.[/QUOTE']I thought I read that for the Blue Led version you had to use the other USB port?[quote name='plurkis;24997]I'm thinking that the device is bricked somehow' date=' faulty firmware ?[/QUOTE'] If it still boots, it's not bricked.

· Registered
8 Posts
I have a similar issue, except mine doesn't even show in windows.I have tested with two different computers, both using Windows XP Proffesional 32-bit, and tested with 3x different cables.I'm pretty sure it is a genuine 7 "aPad - it looks like it, have red LED while charging and it has a rockchip.No response either when I plug in the USB cable while it is turned on - no matter if I activate the USB host - leading me to being afraid it has a broken USB connecter.I'm turning the device on - turning it off using the home button. Switching the on/off button first off, then on. Then I press down the leftmost button(in horizontal mode), and plugging in the USB cable.Should I install some drivers or something before I do anything? Hope I'm not thread-snatching or anything - just thought this situation was pretty similar(except I've got no response in windows when I try to do it).Any thoughts people?

· Registered
8 Posts
My problem is also halfways solved, but I'm not sure why.I just tried the other USB port(between the on/off and the microSD slot) and it worked. I dont quite understand that - It has a red light when charging it, and it has a camera on the front, so it should be the right version of aPad? Any suggestions?Information from settings menu:Model number: sdkDemoFirmware version: 1.5Kernel version: 2.6.25 rockchip version 1.7.4 (yuxing)Build number: RK-1.3.2.eng.root.20100612.025602

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.