Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanted to let everyone know that a few of us on augen-dev will be calling the EFF on Monday morning to try to get some help with getting the kernel patches for the TCC8902. I would prefer full sources, but under US Law I believe they only have to release the patches that were made against the tree. This will still be very, very helpful! I encourage anyone that wants CM or AOSP on there device to please do the same and call the EFF to make them aware of this GPL violation. Thanks guys!-hj

·
Registered
3 Posts
A copy of the ticket I submitted to Augen. Please use this as well:
To Augen,I hereby request the Linux Kernel source code for the Augen Gentouch78 Home Tablet being sold, according to section 3 of the GNU General Public License v2 under which the Linux kernel the device is based on is licensed. A download URL will be fine.The Android platform runs a Linux platform. According to the GNU General Public License, as soon as the binary code has been published (which it has by means of the release of the Gentouch78), Augen is obliged to instantly release the source code (including any custom modifications) on request.This includes all the source code of all drivers for the device. The Linux kernel version is 2.6.29.You will find a list of companies who have violated the GPL here: GPL Violations homepage - The gpl-violations.org projectYou will learn about the GNU GPL here: GNU General Public License - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaIf you are found to be in violation of the GPL. we will have to report this as an official GPL violation, after which legal action will be taken in due time.Regards,

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't know what all devices are on the augen chip, but it is certain that the kernel, and graphics driver both fall under GPL, although i do not know what else will be covered by the GPL license.Edit:I forgot to mention that i updated my augen consumer support entry and placed it as critical because they can't ignore it without legal ramifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.