Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just got my hands on calibre and am in awestruck over it's ability to convert .pdf files into readable Epub files. My only gripe was no matter what I do, I can't get it to sync correctly with my iphone, but now on to the real topic.Has anyone messed with calibre or any other ebook reader long enough to know what settings should be used to make the books fit as much text on screen for the 7 inch screen Eken m001? I was thinking maybe there was a mobi or kindle setting that would be close enough to get the text to appear correctly on the unit without making the font size bigger. I do not have an Eken myself to play with this but I bought one for my wife for her birthday and would like to do as much research as possible into this matter before converting .pdf books to epub.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've been using calibre as a book converter/server for over a year now and reading on an ipod touch. Pdf conversions are always a crap-shoot, if the original has forced margins or fonts or backgrounds it can make for squirrelly conversions. The calibre forums have quite a few pdf related threads. Fbreader on the m001 does fine with epubs formatted with "standard" on calibre, I set the margin settings in fbreader to left-15, right-10, top-10, bottom-5 and it works jes' fine. I don't do anything special for the conversion formatting since I have people with several types of readers accessing the library. Rather than trying to sync, I use the built in server in calibre and use Opera Mini on the m001 to dl them to read. I needed download crutch lite on the m001 to get it to do a successful dl of an epub, otherwise it doesn't recognize it and the dl fails. The built in browser just won't dl an epub no matter what.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm wondering if I can't use Calibre and just choose the Sony Daily Reader preference - also a 7' screen. If I ever get any of my reading apps to work i want to try that.<total newbie to android, mostly wandering around lost
>

·
Registered
15 Posts
when you place calibre/converted epubs into ebook/import folder on the sd card then launch aldiko then press the menu button - (import) comes up and aloows you to import all of your new epubs! i didnt know this was a feature of aldkio.....so syncing is not an issue for me anymore!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
rcon303;9755 said:
when you place calibre/converted epubs into ebook/import folder on the sd card then launch aldiko then press the menu button - (import) comes up and aloows you to import all of your new epubs! i didnt know this was a feature of aldkio.....so syncing is not an issue for me anymore!!!
Everything fine... except that Aldiko cannot show any of my books converted to epub. Those two books which comes with Aldiko - working fine, I have no problems with those, but if I'm trying to read something mine - I have only (dark) gray screen and nothing more. Any ideas?

·
Registered
31 Posts
First, I just waiting so long, and not pressing anything at all. After that, I'm starting "turn pages" and probably nothing happens. The application itself is not frozen. Two version have been tested: Aldiko Version 1.2.2 and Aldiko Book Reader Premium (1.2.9)

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi guys. I bought two Eken m002 to sell as ebook readers. I bought one gpad g10 for me too. I am using in the gpad the aldiko and laputa readers. To add books to the program I used the menu button in the gpad.I did not received the m002. But how will I add the books to the m002 if it has no menu button? And how will I GO BACK without a House button? How is it done in the M002? Is there any reader that works with software buttons?Thanks for all.

·
Super Moderator
3,227 Posts
I had published several eBooks in the past. And at beginning I had the same problem with formatting. I than found Smashwords which I use today as my eBook Publisher. With start using Smashwords, I was get all required infos how to format a eBook in correct way. Smashwords has an excellent Tutorial How To which I truely can recommend to anybody who like to know more about eBook and their formats. It has helps me a lot. Smashwords is the best site I found for to get my eBooks up and running and published as well.Just signup to Smashwords and download the Tutorial and within 1 hour you'll know a lot about eBook formatting. Smashwords use MS Word and so can you. And if you're the writer and/or owner of an eBook, you could use Smashwords as Publisher to several Channels, incl. Apple as well.An other Application for to do eBook formatting is Jutoh. Jutoh is a new software and you could create eBooks in several formats with it. You also could convert any eBook to an Audio Book with Jutoh. Jutoh itself is Payware but cheap. For to convert an eBook to Audio Book you'll need to download some speech software but there is freeware available. Before I was starting to use Smashwords, I used Jutoh which has done the job just fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.