Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello folks,I bought a used Eken M001 which is not used a lot.The original charger is declared as working fine, I reasked this.I heard that the charger is can cause damage to the Eken so I'm unsure about what to do.My first intention was: If the charger was not DOA and it is still working, maybe I had luck and the charger will still keep working without damaging the device.Possibility to: At a later time the charger may fail and also damage the device.So what is your advice? Should I buy a new charger with 9 V and 2 A und do not use the original one?Thanks and best regardsBinary Coder

·
Registered
157 Posts
I think you shouldn't buy another one thinking that the original one is going to burn your unit. Veeery unlikely. However if it didn't fail at the first hours (if you have used more than 24 charging hours you have passed that), it's again veery unlikely to fail.I think you are cool regarding that possible problem.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've also read of as much as a 50% failure rate for the charger in other posts, often as early as 15 minutes after first using it. I just received my own Eken and so monitored the charger right off the bat. It didn't feel warm after 15 minutes. It hasn't failed since after 3 recharges. To minimize stress on the charger initiially, here's what I tried:1.) I used the charger right away, rather than running down the Eken's existing charge out of the box. If the batteries are very discharged from storage, the charge rate will probably be higher. This initial full charge also helps the batteries reach full capacity sooner. Lipos generally need to be exercised initially to reach full charge capacity rating.2.) I charged while the tablet was off. This also lowers the current demand from the charger, probably by about 60%, since the computer depletes the batteries in about 2 hours, and they take about 4 hours to charge normally. Logically then, the computer draws about double what the battery charging circuit does.3.) Though I had an 8 gb memory card I didn't put this in until after charging. While this wouldn't probably make any difference when the computer was off and charging, it might increase current requirements when it is running and charging.4.) I didn't have anything connected to the USB port while charging.I felt the charger and computer every 15 minutes or so when first charging to check whether the batteries or charger were beginning to overheat. Neither was.So far everything is working well, and I will gradually exercise the charger harder while monitoring it for overheating. Personally with a supposedly "iffy" charger, I think it's best with a completely discharged tablet to charge with the computer off, at least for the first hour or so when the charge rate is likely to be highest.For long term peace of mind, I'll probably replace the current charger with something of about 2 amps capacity.By the way, any replacement needs to be a regulated 9 V supply, not just an unregulated wall wart with a 9V nominal voltage those can range up to 12 v, open circuit.I tested the charger included with my Eken and it was stable at 9.02 volts.

·
Registered
157 Posts
vtpad;12592][SIZE=1]I said:
regulated [/I]9 V supply, not just an unregulated wall wart with a 9V nominal voltage those can range up to 12 v, open circuit.I tested the charger included with my Eken and it was stable at 9.02 volts.[/SIZE]
Great topics you mentioned, vtpad! When mine arrives, I'll certainly follow all of them!I do have an Infrared Thermometer so I'll measure temps during charging too. And use my multimeter to check how many amps does it draw (from the batteries, when I open it) and from the power supply (the charger).

·
Registered
150 Posts
[quote name='itanium;12595]Great topics you mentioned' date=' vtpad! When mine arrives, I'll certainly follow all of them!I do have an Infrared Thermometer so I'll measure temps during charging too. And use my multimeter to check how many amps does it draw (from the batteries, when I open it) and from the power supply (the charger).[/QUOTE']Checking the current is definitely the way to go. I just didn't because it requires cutting a line, or rigging something to wire between the fairly tiny plug and the jack. I had a feeling I'd sneeze at the wrong time while holding a test probe and a few wires and short something. Probably somebody else wil be better equipped with test jacks and clips, and certainly less clumsy.Itanium, my charger says 1.5 amps on it, looks pretty good (though small), and is probably the most recent vintage -- the Eken on bootup says ver. 1.7.2 of the software -- maybe we will luck out with a later/better charger than the earliest tablets. I think we ordered about the same time. Hope yours gets through customs soon.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey all,thanks for the informations!My device arrived and charger is plugged in power all the time since that.When I'm in reach, I plug in the charger to device and device is on at this time.So I charge it all the time when I'm in reach.No problems till now and I think this means, that is have passed the test.By the way:A friend of mine and myself bought ourselves a mac book when we started studying.I nearly always sis not plugged in the power device before battery goes empty (was to lazy to connect the power device).He always plugged in his power device when ever possible.-> After 2 Years his battery got much much much more health than mine.Why is that? I can tell you: 1.First of all inside of your battery there is a chemical process running. Even if you would use your battery just 2 times a month the battery will be bad after a period of time.2.If you do not use your battery because you think that the battery would live longer than -> you are wrong, not using the battery for a long time can cause a deep discharge which will damage your battery directly in a way, that you will lose a lot of capacity.3.The important fact is the load circle. When is a load circle done? Well a wrong idea is -> you battery is 80% full, you put the charger on and after this a load circle is done -> WRONG.You put your charger on and charge 20% one time then battery is full. Next time you charger 30% and than 50% than you got 100% full chargerd -> one circle is done.Here are some links:http://www.apple.com/batteries/http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.htmlSo far so good ;-)Best regardsBinary

·
Registered
157 Posts
[quote name='vtpad;12604]Checking the current is definitely the way to go. I just didn't because it requires cutting a line' date=' or rigging something to wire between the fairly tiny plug and the jack. I had a feeling I'd sneeze at the wrong time while holding a test probe and a few wires and short something. Probably somebody else wil be better equipped with test jacks and clips, and certainly less clumsy.Itanium, my charger says 1.5 amps on it, looks pretty good (though small), and is probably the most recent vintage -- the Eken on bootup says ver. 1.7.2 of the software -- maybe we will luck out with a later/better charger than the earliest tablets. I think we ordered about the same time. Hope yours gets through customs soon.[/QUOTE'] Thanks vtpad, northeast customs are known for shit reliability so I'm gonna wait a bit longer. However I do hope a miracle happens hahhahEken's power jack is a very common one, right? I'm planning to buy a male and a female to build a pass thru connector so I can tether all ongoing power parameters.Btw Binary Coder, very good info you got there. Kinda fuzzy but I think I got it. My notebook's battery is 28% worn already :/

·
Premium Member
2,428 Posts
Charger on my m003 died 1st hour. I had a spare Universal it works fine. Use tip from dead charger, and connected it to another wall wart for at work.Why not get another? If the one that comes with it works you have a second one to use elsewhere.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts