Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Accordiing to edit_text's instruction http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...n/5636-ive-got-ubuntu-pandigital-novel-3.html (newly edited post #1)on installing ubuntu on the PDN, we need to first install busybox. I did, via an app downloaded from the market. The app was installed sucessfully which in turned installed busybox v1.18.0.git on the PDN. Problems: (some) of my widgets are not longer functional ("problem loading widget). And when I long-press on the home screen to try to add back these widgets, under "choose widget" some of the apps are gone, including "world weather". Interestingly, some of the existing widgets which are now unloadable under ADW launcher still workds under LauncherPro (e.g. AppOrganizer), but even in LauncherPro I can no longer add AppOrganizer as a widget.I had thought about deleting busybox, but it's in /system/bin and I can't simply "move" it to a different folder. Any advice? Oh, being a naughty person I didn't backup before I hack :-(

·
Registered
425 Posts
[quote name='hello-world;51828]Accordiing to edit_text's instruction [URL]http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigital-novel-android-tablet-discussion/5636-ive-got-ubuntu-pandigital-novel-3.html[/URL] (newly edited post #1)on installing ubuntu on the PDN' date=' we need to first install busybox. I did, via an app downloaded from the market. The app was installed sucessfully which in turned installed busybox v1.18.0.git on the PDN. Problems: (some) of my widgets are not longer functional ("problem loading widget). And when I long-press on the home screen to try to add back these widgets, under "choose widget" some of the apps are gone, including "world weather". Interestingly, some of the existing widgets which are now unloadable under ADW launcher still workds under LauncherPro (e.g. AppOrganizer), but even in LauncherPro I can no longer add AppOrganizer as a widget.I had thought about deleting busybox, but it's in /system/bin and I can't simply "move" it to a different folder. Any advice? Oh, being a naughty person I didn't backup before I hack :-([/QUOTE'] The easiest thing to do is to do an adb remount to put it into rw mode, then you can move, delete, whatever..........

·
Registered
135 Posts
[quote name='davidr;51831]does it show up on the application manager so that you can remove it that way?[/QUOTE] The *installer* of busybox does' date=' but the *installed* file (which is in /system/bin) does not.[edit'] Following post #3's suggestion, I used adb mv to rename /system/bin/busybox, but to no avail.I then reflash the 8-06 firmwire and reinstall everything, but the widgets are still missing (I did check /system/bin and the busybox file is now gone). Just as I feared, the busybox installer did break something... On top of that, my PDN is now noticibly more sluggish.Any suggestion on how to recover my widgets? HELP!

·
Registered
73 Posts
That seems very odd. I myself don't use many widgets, but I have not had any issues with installing busybox (aside from one that installed via a shell script.) I have done the Ubuntu install 4 times, and have used the marketplace busybox 3 of those times, so idk. I would def give nchntrman's suggestion a go, dude knows his stuff.e_t

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
nchntrman;51890 said:
You might try my flashable update http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...t-pandahome-notification-fix-7_24-others.html #6 adds busybox and busyboxr (more commands) to /system/bin/
THANKS!I was able to use your flashable update #6 to install busybox and busyboxr; I checked /system/bin and both files are there.BUT...when I tried to follow edit_text's instruction to install ubuntu, I got stuck in steps 5b and 5c (etc) -- I got the error message "modprobe not found" and "cp not found". For the record, I did do adb remount adb shell subefore I started step 5 in edit_text's instruction.Could it be that I'm still not installing busybox correctly? Thanks!

·
Registered
666 Posts
unless you "install" busybox (some kind of linking), I believe you have to call the busybox before the cp command.. like #busybox cp <infile> <outfile>so you may need to edit a script or modify your commandon another note, can you dig up the mkfs.ext2 (or equivalent) ext2.ko? and the unionfs goodies. i have been looking for them for a bit, heard they can be found in the arm ubuntu install, which it sounds like you are working with.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
[quote name='nchntrman;52340]on another note' date=' can you dig up the mkfs.ext2 (or equivalent) ext2.ko? and the unionfs goodies. i have been looking for them for a bit, heard they can be found in the arm ubuntu install, which it sounds like you are working with.[/QUOTE'] I actually replied to this in the ubuntu thread (sort of): I'd be happy to help out, if you cuold explain how to "dig up" these two files. As you can tell I'm a newbie so you have give very precise instruction :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.