Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any luck installing busybox onto the novel? Hacking around on this thing would be so much easier if we had the full toolbox of linux commandline apps to use. I haven't seen much mention of people using busybox so unless I am doing something wrong I assume no one else has gotten it running or compiled it for the novel.I have found a copy of busybox that seems to be working on the PDN but I am posting here to let others know and to find out from others if there is a better way to do this.Firstly, I have tried to install the version of busybox on the Marketplace but it never seemed to work. It always gave an error of "illegal instruction" which google indicated might be the result of busybox not being compiled properly for this device.The Novel apparently uses the same processor as the Samsung Moment so a bit of googling brought me to this thread on a forum for Samsung Developers which had a link to a github repo that has compiled binaries of busy box for the Samsung Moment:Downloads for LouZiffer's m900_busybox_eclair-SDX - GitHubI downloaded the file busybox.recovery.v2.00 (which apparently has several more programs included than the standard version that is listed there) to my adb directory. Then i installed it with the following commands:
Code:
adb remountadb push ./busybox.recovery.v2.00 /system/bin/busyboxadb shell chmod 777 /system/bin/busybox
You can then open up a terminal or a local connectbot and run ash shell instead of the default shell which will allow you to use the up and down arrows (if you are using the app 'Full Keyboard') as well as some other features characteristic of a more substantial shell. You'll also get some standard apps such as cp, grep and vi.
Code:
subusybox ashls /system/bin | busybox grep 'busy'
My knowledge of busybox is very limited but I believe there is a way to install it by running it with the "--install" argument which will then make it so that you can just type 'grep' instead of 'busybox grep'. I haven't tried it yet as I am concerned that it may conflict or interfere with the existing system.Does anyone have any experience with this?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.