Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Add me to the list of people with a broken Gentouch78 touch screen. It took a two foot drop to carpet, landed on edge and caused a clean vertical break on the left third of the screen. The screen itself still works, but does not respond to touch very well. I say very well, because I was able to press the on-screen Power Off button after trying for a minute or two.If the cost is reasonable, it is worth it to me to replace the screen. My goal is to find the right part that I can simply mount and connect the cable(s) without any modification. I saw somebody posted this link, but I don't know which of those 4 800 x 480 screens would work (if any). Touch Screen Displays from DensitronAlso, if a capacitive screen would work, again depending on cost and without modification, I may go for that. So, has anyone tried a screen replacement, and/or know of part(s) that will work? Thanks.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am going to contact Augen about this very same issue over the phone. Last week I started a ticket about getting a replacement touch screen and received no feedback.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I sent mine in to be repaired to augen. Had to send a $20 money order with it and they have told me that should cover the cost of repair. We'll see...called yesterday and they were waiting for my parts to show up still.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
angus1357;53213]I sent mine in to be repaired to augen. Had to send a $20 money order with it and they have told me that should cover the cost of repair. We said:
How long has it been? How did you get the ball rolling' date=' a phone call? Emails and tickets never seem to get responded to. I'd hate to send these guys my unit AND money and never see it again. It's happened before to me (Gyration, those bastards).
tipstir;53388' said:
Well the tablet has 1 year with Augen and 90 days with Kmart. Still $20 bucks to replace the LCD touchscreen panel is dirt cheap!
They're certainly not going to return/warrant a user-broken device.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hey guys, finally got a response from Augen about the broken screen issue. The number to call about replacement is in bold.
Hi John,A cracked screen will be part of the PHYSICAL DAMAGE concerns. We can still file that in for a repair but that will be outside the scope of your warranty. Our Returns Department handles the repairs, you would also be charged a $20.00 diagnostic fee for physical damage concerns. To have that repaired, you can go ahead and send a fax request or call the Returns Department at number 954-391-5317. They are open Mondays to Fridays from 9am to 5pm Eastern Standard time.We value your business and thank you for choosing Augen Electronics.Ari at Augen Customer SupportTicket Details===================Ticket ID: 5749Department: Customer SupportPriority: CriticalStatus: Closed

·
Registered
246 Posts
So, in cased you all didn't notice. $20 is to look at your device and say "Yep, the screen is broken".. Then there will be the cost to repair it, which I bet means.. You will be sent a new device. I doubt Augen can repair a pencil sharpner, let alone this device :)CPG

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
[quote name='haus;53446]How long has it been? How did you get the ball rolling' date=' a phone call? Emails and tickets never seem to get responded to. I'd hate to send these guys my unit AND money and never see it again. It's happened before to me (Gyration, those bastards). They're certainly not going to return/warrant a user-broken device.[/QUOTE'] Some users have tried it an got away with it. If you go to the store just about closing time. Still whoever is running the Electronic department should check the device before it gets returned or exchanged.

·
Banned
1,115 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;55025]So' date=' in cased you all didn't notice. $20 is to look at your device and say "Yep, the screen is broken".. Then there will be the cost to repair it, which I bet means.. You will be sent a new device. I doubt Augen can repair a pencil sharpner, let alone this device :)CPG[/QUOTE'] But the device was made in China, not at the Florida Corp Office. So this would be bad case if they can't repair the device and charged customers $20 bucks just for saying so. So parts on hand at the Service department. So all the parts have to be sent from China. That's going to take a few weeks unless it's a rushed. I would give 4 to 6 weeks?

·
Registered
20 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;55025]So' date=' in cased you all didn't notice. $20 is to look at your device and say "Yep, the screen is broken".. Then there will be the cost to repair it, which I bet means.. You will be sent a new device. I doubt Augen can repair a pencil sharpner, let alone this device :)CPG[/QUOTE'] Agreed...Looks like the $20 is the diagnostic fee.. I thought $20 was extremely cheap to have the part delivered from China, installed, and shipped back to you... Good luck getting your item back if you don't want to pay the repair bill...

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote name='cpg716;55025]So' date=' in cased you all didn't notice. $20 is to look at your device and say "Yep, the screen is broken".. Then there will be the cost to repair it, which I bet means.. You will be sent a new device. I doubt Augen can repair a pencil sharpner, let alone this device :)CPG[/QUOTE']They assured me that $20 would go to the cost of fixing the unit, because I read it the same way you did.

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='haus;57232]Well' date=' I'll be darned. My receipt said 90 days, and the guy said as long as it's in that 90 days, no problem, broken screen and all! And they had one in stock![/QUOTE']All I can say is: WOW!

·
Registered
9 Posts
[quote name='angus1357;56071]They assured me that $20 would go to the cost of fixing the unit' date=' because I read it the same way you did.[/QUOTE'] I have the same broken screen issue. I have grown frustrated trying to merely get an estimate from Augen support. I received the same email you saw. I asked for a price for the screen. Won't tell. I asked for a labor cost per hour. Won't tell. I asked how much time would it take to replace the screen. Won't tell. They initially said the repair cost could be as much as up to replacement cost then after pushing, they came back and said it wouldn't be that much. I have been searching online trying to find a screen to fit it but with no luck. Please let us know when you receive a repair cost and how long it took to get the tablet back. I will not, as of now, send my tablet to Augen until I know more information. Meanwhile, I will keep looking for a replacement. The ironic piece of this is that there is a picture of a dissected G78 online including a photo of the back of the LCD with the part number. However, the company that made the part has a website that doesn't work. You can't send them a message! And the email address I found online bounced.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
[quote name='broken screen;72687]I have the same broken screen issue. I have grown frustrated trying to merely get an estimate from Augen support. I received the same email you saw. I asked for a price for the screen. Won't tell. I asked for a labor cost per hour. Won't tell. I asked how much time would it take to replace the screen. Won't tell. They initially said the repair cost could be as much as up to replacement cost then after pushing' date=' they came back and said it wouldn't be that much. I have been searching online trying to find a screen to fit it but with no luck. Please let us know when you receive a repair cost and how long it took to get the tablet back. I will not, as of now, send my tablet to Augen until I know more information. Meanwhile, I will keep looking for a replacement. The ironic piece of this is that there is a picture of a dissected G78 online including a photo of the back of the LCD with the part number. However, the company that made the part has a website that doesn't work. You can't send them a message! And the email address I found online bounced.[/QUOTE']All I can say is to try K-mart; maybe you'll have success like I did. Also, when I got the replacement, I bought a 2-year replacement plan for $24 that should cover a no-questions-asked replacement for the next 2 years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
[quote name='broken screen;72687]I have the same broken screen issue. I have grown frustrated trying to merely get an estimate from Augen support. I received the same email you saw. I asked for a price for the screen. Won't tell. I asked for a labor cost per hour. Won't tell. I asked how much time would it take to replace the screen. Won't tell. They initially said the repair cost could be as much as up to replacement cost then after pushing' date=' they came back and said it wouldn't be that much. I have been searching online trying to find a screen to fit it but with no luck. Please let us know when you receive a repair cost and how long it took to get the tablet back. I will not, as of now, send my tablet to Augen until I know more information. Meanwhile, I will keep looking for a replacement. The ironic piece of this is that there is a picture of a dissected G78 online including a photo of the back of the LCD with the part number. However, the company that made the part has a website that doesn't work. You can't send them a message! And the email address I found online bounced.[/QUOTE'] it cost me just the $20 to get the screen fixed, 6-7 weeks and it came back to me all fixed up and ready to go.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.