Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
DigitalAutoPilot;43203 said:
LCDs do not work well in bright sunlight. This is not a PDN thing...it's an LCD thing...Sent from my HACKED PDN with Tapatalk Pro
Now let's not spread malicious FUD. My Jetbook, a reflective LCD, works as well as paper or e-ink in bright sunlight, perhaps even better as some e-ink devices (we won't mention names, will we SONY?) are known to fade in sunlight. The PDN is not reflective so is does not do well. All LCDs are not created equal.

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote name='PDboy;43319]snip perhaps even better as some e-ink devices (we won't mention names' date=' will we SONY?) are known to fade in sunlight. snip[/QUOTE'] The Sony's that exhibit sun fade are defective & Sony is replacing them. I believe it was the LG mfg. screens. It was a select range of s/n. My 600 is fine.Cheers,kev

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've been tempted to try this --- maybe you could be the guinea pig
:Nushield - Best Quality Screen ProtectorsDayVue screen protector by NuShield. I saw it in a boating magazine -- the "new and cool gear" page or something like that.Supposed to make LCD fishfinder and chartplotter screens daylight viewable. Looks like you'd have to order one for something with a 10" screen and cut it down. I checked for the Hummingbird 1199C (a 10.4" unit) and they wanted $17 for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
garstan;43422 said:
I've been tempted to try this --- maybe you could be the guinea pig
:Nushield - Best Quality Screen ProtectorsDayVue screen protector by NuShield. I saw it in a boating magazine -- the "new and cool gear" page or something like that.Supposed to make LCD fishfinder and chartplotter screens daylight viewable. Looks like you'd have to order one for something with a 10" screen and cut it down. I checked for the Hummingbird 1199C (a 10.4" unit) and they wanted $17 for it.
If you click the green Custom Size Product List box you will find Pandigital and then the Novel in the selections. Price is $17.

·
Registered
179 Posts
balineseplease;43660 said:
If you click the green Custom Size Product List box you will find Pandigital and then the Novel in the selections. Price is $17.
Saw that as well and was tempted, but with shipping, the price gets up to ~$20, and since I paid < $100 each for my Novels after all coupons and rebates, this seemed a bit much. Any other clever options? The PDN screen doesn't seem to scratch (even though I mostly use a homemade wooden stylus made out of a cut down and sanded/dulled shish-kabob skewer), but it is entirely unreadable outside in the sun. I'm willing to cut whatever material would work myself.And, as to cutting material, I found that laying the PDN face down on my home all-in-one printer/copier/scanner and making a copy of it is a great way to getting a 100% accurate outline of the screen. All you have to do is have good scissor or Exacto knife skills after the copy is made and a sheet of transparent material is taped to it. I just need to find the right (cheap) material. ;)

·
Registered
84 Posts
im guessing its just something non reflective, like putting a scotch bright pad to a cheaper screen protector, i dont know what material it could be made of to amplify the screen brightness, maybe its non-tinted yet polarized? .... still interested, i might waste the money to just see wtf its made out of....

·
Registered
576 Posts
[quote name='PDboy;43319]Now let's not spread malicious FUD. My Jetbook' date=' a reflective LCD, works as well as paper or e-ink in bright sunlight, perhaps even better as some e-ink devices (we won't mention names, will we SONY?) are known to fade in sunlight. The PDN is not reflective so is does not do well. All LCDs are not created equal.[/QUOTE']That would just happen to be a monochrome LCD w/backlight(?) which IMO are the best allaround screens for reading devices... as they CAN have GOOD backlights for night reading and work well in daylight w/o backlighting. Their ONLY drawback IMO is that they can lose contrast if the screen becomes too warm... slight adjustment in angle is USUALLY enough to overcome this though in the case of sunlight heating. (Try laying your mono-LCD out in direct sunlight for a bit... if you leave it long enough the screen will become almost black or such was my experience w/Palms, Franklin Readers, and my REB-1100...)eInk is REALLY nice too, but I've yet to find a good integrated or addon lighting system as eInk can't use backlighting and so integrated means sidelit(sucks), and all the USB/batt run clip ons just never are bright enough and/or intrusive...IF you can get enough shade, e.g. heavy leaf canopy, or some sort of structure or something color LCDs are usually OK at max brightness but that kills batt runtime. (I know I was doing this with my GT BEFORE the brightness controls work, and unfortunately since then it has been overcast such that I can run with really low brightness setting...) (I've tried all sorts of color LCDs, and really only bought my second color PDA that had a transflective screen because it was overhyped into being "useful" in sunlight, well it wasn't, or at least for anything useful...)Still yet to try an OLED or AMOLED LCD in sunlight... usually ends up being winter/overcast when I have access to some......still waiting for color eInk too, but it'll be slow screen refresh as well so it won't really be useful for anything that requires an "active" display... maybe perfect for comic book readers IF they get the colors pretty decent...[EDIT]i.e. so I'm still using my PRS-505 when in bright sunlight, and the GT at night... I miss reader functions that the 505(and most other eInk readers) don't have... they feature regressed from Palms, Franklin readers, and other PDAs/readers when they went to eInk and deleted touch screens, or at least builtin functions... (newer Android and some other readers have finally started adding back in some of these features, e.g. Nook, and the ectaco jetbook mentioned in the quote which is pretty much like the good old pre-eInk readers... the jetbook wasn't out when I got the 505, and the Hanlin v3 (would've put openinkpot on it http://openinkpot.org/) I would've had to wait for whereas I could just go to B&N and buy the 505...)[/EDIT]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.