Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tried applying the 07/18 update from an SD card, using the power + volume startup.Something apparently went wrong with my first attempt. Instead of the progress display, I got a graphic of an exclamation point in a triangle with the Android icon.I waited a few minutes, but nothing changed, so I rebooted and tried again. This time I got the progress bar display. It made it to about the 20% point, and then the Novel rebooted itself.Now... The Novel powers up, but when I press or tap the screen, nothing happens for a while, and then the Novel reboots itself.If I hold down the power slide, I get the power off popup, but when I press or tap the screen to power down, nothing happens, again followed by a reboot.Doing a hard reset just powers up into the same state.Ditto with doing an adb shell reboot from my laptop.So... I'm stuck with the power on. Leaving it alone blanks the screen, but it just comes back on when I hit the power slide.If I can't turn the power off, I can't try the upgrade again, so I've got a doorstop right now. No idea what will happen when the battery runs down. I wish I could just pop the battery out like I do when my Droid goes belly up.Anybody else had a similar problem? Any suggestions?If I can't beat this in the next hour or so, I'll have to take the poor thing back to Kohl's and try to get them to make a swap.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No joy, but at least I now know how to pop the case to replace the internal SD. It went through the partial upgrade again, but rebooted in the middle and is stuck in the same state again. Pity there aren't real buttons to use when the touchscreen acts up.Thanks for the help though. I'll have to try to swap it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
try redownloading the fw. Also, try hitting the tiny reset button to power down before doing the flash.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Are you sure you actually got the entire firmware download? I had issues yesterday with download attempts seemingly completed that weren't complete at all. The firmware zip should be around 69-70MB. I was getting files that were anywhere from 25-40-ish MB each time I tried. Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
[quote name='lawman;21535]try redownloading the fw. Also' date=' try hitting the tiny reset button to power down before doing the flash.[/QUOTE']I downloaded BiPolarBear's copy of the 07/18 zip file (at http://files.rwbcs.net/android/novel%20firmware/S10_07_18K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.zip) and redid the install with that. Success!First off, the install took about four times longer. After it came up, everything was working as well as ever.Obviously, I must have gotten a corrupted download from the Pandigital site (even though my archive manager thought the checksum was OK).Now I don't have to return my Novel after all.
I've gotten rather fond of it.Now to start customizing it..... No worries now that I know how to set it back to its original state.I'm tempted to put Ubuntu on it like I've done on everything else but my Droid, but I want to start developing Android apps for it. The Novel should be great for implementing boardgames on.Thanks for the help, everyone!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just had the same issue. I had bought 2 Novels, physically broke the first so I opened up the second and after confirming that it works I upgraded the firmware with the same SD card I was using on my first Novel. I was scared I had 2 broken Novels before I saw this post! I don't know if this SD card was getting corrupted or what but I was stuck in a boot loop that got to the main screen and would be unresponsive then reboot itself like OP's. Tried a few more times with that card and .zip to no avail. So I just copied the same file over from my PC again and deleted the contents of the card, worked fine, wish I kept the log file tho. I'm kinda happy I broke the first one, I felt even after raising the min CPU clock it was still quite laggy and unresponsive. This second one feels more responsive, and I haven't even hacked it yet.Oh and anyone else having issues with NTFS cards becoming corrupted? It may be my one card but before I formatted to FAT32 all the data was getting corrupted really quickly, that may be what happened when I was flashing it, but the zip file seemed intact. Going to try a new card now, maybe duplicate the problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
[quote name='bitz;22872]I just had the same issue. I had bought 2 Novels' date=' physically broke the first so I opened up the second and after confirming that it works I upgraded the firmware with the same SD card I was using on my first Novel. I was scared I had 2 broken Novels before I saw this post! I don't know if this SD card was getting corrupted or what but I was stuck in a boot loop that got to the main screen and would be unresponsive then reboot itself like OP's. Tried a few more times with that card and .zip to no avail. So I just copied the same file over from my PC again and deleted the contents of the card, worked fine, wish I kept the log file tho. I'm kinda happy I broke the first one, I felt even after raising the min CPU clock it was still quite laggy and unresponsive. This second one feels more responsive, and I haven't even hacked it yet.Oh and anyone else having issues with NTFS cards becoming corrupted? It may be my one card but before I formatted to FAT32 all the data was getting corrupted really quickly, that may be what happened when I was flashing it, but the zip file seemed intact. Going to try a new card now, maybe duplicate the problem.[/QUOTE'] I had a similar problem as well, including a problem with the SD card (not sure what format it is). Right now the PDN seems to be stuck on the initial blue screen with the a bunch of random gray letters and "pandigital novel" in white letters. It's been this way for about 20 minutes, and I think I'm going to try to reset it.I've attached the recovery log file, if it's of use to anyone.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='jazzman;26992]I had a similar problem as well' date=' including a problem with the SD card (not sure what format it is). Right now the PDN seems to be stuck on the initial blue screen with the a bunch of random gray letters and "pandigital novel" in white letters. It's been this way for about 20 minutes, and I think I'm going to try to reset it.I've attached the recovery log file, if it's of use to anyone.[/QUOTE'] Ouch, looks like you have some issues. Recovery log says you have some damaged memory blocks. You need to take it in for a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,420 Posts
[quote name='JulieB;27128]This happened to me yesterday. I opened the back and pulled the battery connector' date=' waited 30 seconds or so, then plugged it back in. Then I reinstalled the firmware. Of course, that wiped the Novel, but it beat having a brick on my hands. You might give that a shot.[/QUOTE'] I don't think it will help in this case but what the heck. Maybe the recovery log is wrong.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.