Android Tablets Forum banner
201 - 220 of 252 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
wicd has been removed from v0.3. There's a custom configuration script instead. After you reboot it should just work. You can check the wireless connection with 'iwconfig' and you can check the ip settings with 'ifconfig'The configuration script generates two files:/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf/root/wifi.shwifi.sh needs to be executable. You can try running wifi.sh manually to see if there are any errors. I've been unable to reproduce any errors, it works for me every time at home and at work.What kind of encryption are you using?

·
Registered
85 Posts
hmm, I never tested it with WEP, I just figured it would work. You must use the 10 character hex key, not a pass-phrase for your key. I usually use a 10 digit number with WEP. I'll set my router to WEP and try it out tonight.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've not yet retried .3.. downloaded it earlier but i've been busy... and debian(desktop) isn't recognizing eken via usb on some new android rom 1.9 or smthn.. ill try it again eventually :(I did manage to install synergy... which crashes.. horrible, i know... but i found something involving a vnc server on the eken.. and this on a desktop linux box.. x2vnc 1.7.2Does the same thing as synergy as far as functionality.. kinda neat to have the eken under my 22" LCD and just move my cursor and keyboard to it :Di also apt-get'd lxde.. which installed GDM...which required a keyboard lol... it looked really nice.. a bit before then I had drilled a hole in the back of my eken to install a wifi pigtail... which didnt happen.. so i used a short length of cat5 to extend the wires through the hole to the wifi dongle... then when i needed the keyboard, i removed the dongle and attached a piece of usb cable with a female end to attach the KB.. it worked.. and i figured out the odd wiring this thing has on the second try, to my amazement..upon needing to reattach the dongle, i realized that i could just attach a male usb end to it and tape the hell out of it... and when i did that... i realized i could pop it in my PC to test it... IDK if anyone knows that these dongles support 802.11... this is from lsusb...Bus 001 Device 036: ID 13d3:3273 IMC Networks 802.11 n/g/b Wireless LAN USB Mini-CardI've not seen anything about it having 802.11n... but good to know if i ever invest in a N router! I have a gigabit network.. but the router insightbb gave me is only 10/100 b/g
/me breathes. xD

·
Registered
85 Posts
Actually I sell USB Wifi dongles with the same chipset: 802.11n USB WIFI Dongle with Antenna - 150Mbps - JacobsParts IncI can confirm that it is indeed 802.11n. I thought about using the eken as a thinclient with a VNC server. It would definitely be snappier, but then it would rely more on a good wifi connection-so it's a trade-off. My v0.1 release uses LXDE, but matchbox runs much faster on our meager device.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi jacob, thanks for awsom job you did for us. Can you please post brief manual about getting touch screen to work? I am trying to get touch screen working on original lenny port, but i am getting ERROR from your touchpad_init Touchscreen device not found, is the module loaded? I have both modules for touchscreen loaded and i am using your touchpad script to initialize touchscreen.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had working touch pannel on lenny distribution, but it looked like some problem with calibration, because pointer was moving like using touchpad, but different speed. I made it to work installing xfce4. I would like to know, which dependencies does it have. I found out udev, may be hal or dbus, but I don't know the rest. I will welcome any tip from jacob or others. Hwclock problems are same as on squeeze port from jakob. hwclock --debug makes kernel panic. I put everything on ext3 instead ext2 and I don't have problems with every time check. Today I almost kill my eken, but luckily I got it back to work :) Before rescue I ordered Gpad G10 . It looks very very good. But eken lives and I will continue with debian too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, yesterday I played with some more drivers. I took them from official 1.9.0 firmware. Also uzImage works well. I was able to get feedback from keypad and also from the G sensor. I was using xinput to test those. I will try to find more and possible we will be able to get D pad and G sensor to work for us. I only need to change mapping of buttons and somehow read data from sensor. Now it puts Shake! to console.

·
Registered
205 Posts
[quote name='jacob019;31313]Sure. You need to install the iw package.1. Use your computer to download the package directly to the sdcard: [URL]http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/i/iw/iw_0.9.19-1_armel.deb[/URL]2. Boot the eken and install the package: 'dpkg -i iw_0.9.19-1_armel.deb'3. Use these lines in the script instead of the wpa_suppliant [URL=line:iwconfig]line:iwconfig[/URL] ra0 essid "[I]My Network[/I]"iwconfig ra0 key 1234567890That should do it. I'll include the iw package in the next release' date=' and perhaps a wifi config script[/QUOTE'] Everytime i do that i get: "Set ESSID" (8B1A): Set failed on device ra0 ; No such device.any ideas?

·
Registered
205 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;48801]Can you pull up a terminal and give us the output of the commands lsusb' date=' lsmod and ifconfig? Also, are you on an M001 or another similar similar device?- Angus[/QUOTE']I know im going to sounds stupid... But how i do to get that output? is there a log file or something i could use?and by the way, im doing this on a flytouch.Thank you!

·
Registered
205 Posts
[quote name='projectgus;48801]Can you pull up a terminal and give us the output of the commands lsusb' date=' lsmod and ifconfig? Also, are you on an M001 or another similar similar device?- Angus[/QUOTE'] On lsusb i get this:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hubBus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUBBus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------if i try ifconfig but it gives me nothing :(i also ran iwconfig and it givens me:------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lo no wireless extension.tunl0 no wireless extension.gre0 no wireless extension.------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sounds like it doesn't found any wireless device at all, which is strange since i'm running it over a Gome Flytouch (Epad) and as far as i know it has the exactly same wireless chip as eken m001.This are the basic specifications:Specifications:Type:Touchscreen tabletMaterials:PlasticsColors:White / BlackCamera: 0.3 Megapixel (some have reported no camera in their units, but there's a slot)Screen:7" Resisitive Touch screen at 800*480(16:9)Operating System:Android 1.6CPU:VIA WM8505RAM:256MB DDR2Flash ROM:2GBExpansion memory:SD/SDHC/MMC up to 32GBNetwork connectivity:Wifi or ethernet (RJ45)Sensors: accelerometer (supports rotation)Vibration: yesBattery capacity:2400mahPorts:USB 2.0 Host /USB 2.0 Device port/3.5 mm headphone jackSound: internal microphone and speakersIf is there anything else that could help you, please tell me. I'm really looking forward to see this device running debian.P.S: is there a way to boot debian using the 256mb of ram, i've tried modifying scriptcmd but it hangs in the loading screen.Cheers and thank you very much.

·
Registered
255 Posts
kiarov,The USB wifi module is actually powered from a GPIO line, so it has to be turned on especially. If it's not on then it acts like it's not plugged in (which looks like what you have.) The parameters to turn it on are usually flashed to the tablet when you run a "normal" firmware upgrade. They can also be set from a scriptcmd. They may be different for the Flytouch, although I don't think the Debian scriptcmd writes them at all which makes it a bit odd.If you run this command in your terminal, what output do you get: dmesg | grep -A10 "wifi power up"How are you modifying scriptcmd? Are you regenerating it using the mkimage command, or are you just editing it directly?

·
Registered
205 Posts
when i enter dmesg | grep -A10 "wifi power up", i just get nothing it just end without any output.i've tryied to add the following to scriptcmd compiling it with mkimage:----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lcdinitfatload mmc 0 0 /script/uzImage.binsetenv wifi_powerdown 0xd811005c|0x2,0xd8110084|0x2,0xd81100ac&~0x2 <-addedsetenv wifi_powerup 0xd811005c|0x2,0xd8110084|0x2,0xd81100ac|0x2 <-addedsetenv regop $(amp_powerdown),$(wifi_powerdown),D8130054|0x1 <- addedsetenv bootargs mem=237M root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootdelay=10bootm 0---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------System boots okay but nothing referring to wifi.Any more ideas?And also once again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! you're a genius Angus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
kiarovDo you have jacobs lastest version v0.3? If not see posts 174 or 176 of this tread for download links.Have you tried replacing the wifi driver module on the debian release with the wifi driver module from the android version on your tablet.I had to replace the "debian" rt3070sta.ko with the one from android (slatedroid version on my table) before my wifi would work.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ah kiarov, I just realised that you didn't post the output from 'lsmod'. tav1234 is probably on the money, and the module hasn't loaded at all. That explains why you didn't get anything about the wifi in dmesg - it doesn't try to power on the wifi until the module loads. I forgot that part, sorry!Try running "insmod /lib/modules/rt3070sta.ko" and see what it says. If you get an error trying to load it, run 'dmesg | tail' and you'll probably see some more specific details. If that doesn't work, definitely try tav's suggestion of swapping it for the Android module (probably they have different magic numbers?)- Angus

·
Registered
205 Posts
tav1234... i have to say... THANK YOU IT WORKS!!!!!!!! and also THANK YOU ANGUS!!!!.The issue was so easy to fix at last. I've replaced rt3070sta.ko with the one that came with android distro. Now wifi card is recognized, but seems to be halfway, cause when i configure my network and restart i cant get ra0 up. Here is some outputs from console.wifi.sh:-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------SOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permittedSOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permittedCould no set interface 'ra0' upSOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permittedSIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------dmesg | grep -A10 "wifi power up"-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------grep: wifi power up: No such file or directory-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------lsusb-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hubBus 001 Device 003: ID 148f:2070 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT2070 Wireless Adapter Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUBBus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ifconfig ra0-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Link encap: Ethernet HWaddr 00:00:00:00:00:00inet addr:192.168.0.19 Bcast:192.168.0.255 Mask:255.255.255.0BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1RX packets: 0 errors:0 (and so...)-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------iwconfig-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------RT2870 Wireless ESSID:"" Nickname:"RT2870STA"Mode:Auto Frequency=2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-AssociatedBit Rate:1Mb/sRTS thr:eek:ff Fragmet thr:eek:ffEncryption key:eek:ffLink Quality=10/100 Signal level:0 dBm Noise level:-87 dBmRx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------im using v0.3. I think im missing something really simple, but i'm learning linux as we speak hahahaha.We're almost there guys, Thanks for your support!!!!!

201 - 220 of 252 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.