Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm able to open the Borders app. I'm able to download my books. I'm not able to actually open them. I get the error 'we encountered a problem with this book that we are working to fix. Please try again later'.Every book, and this happens on KOBO too.I'm at a loss since I was able to open (at least) KOBO books a couple of days ago--yep, did the click before wifi kicked in thing. I tried my usual reinstalling the app and redownloading the books, but it doesn't seem to change the fact that I can't open the books.I'm running 8_06. Anyone else having this issue w/ the same firmware? Or am I just missing something? Should I go back to 7_24?Thanks for any thoughts.ps. I know I've asked this question already in the Sony thread, but that was my bad, I should have asked this question here. sorry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Using the Cruz Border app, I'm able to buy new books from the WPDN but any books I got prior, such as using the Desktop Border software on my Windows PC gives me an error. Is anyone else having the same problem as me?I'm using the retired RoeBeets ver4 (9/23 based) + supplement installed over a clean 9/23 stock firmware update. Wifi is on and all books were downloaded successfully as the app claimed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi,I had a similar problem with Borders app - try adb over wifi and check what's going on. My app was not able to decode books:
Code:
...E/com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.c.u( 2633): Failed to decrypt data.  ...E/com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.reading.tablet.EPubViewerTablet( 2633): We encountered a problem with this book that we are working to fix. Please try again later.E/com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.reading.tablet.EPubViewerTablet( 2633): com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.KoboException: Failed to decrypt data.....
Reinstallation hepled.

·
Registered
116 Posts
[quote author=Albert_me link=topic=5344.msg94458#msg94458 date=1290223417]
Hi,
I had a similar problem with Borders app - try adb over wifi and check what's going on. My app was not able to decode books:
Code:
<br />
...<br />
E/com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.c.u( 2633): Failed to decrypt data.  <br />
...<br />
E/com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.reading.tablet.EPubViewerTablet( 2633): We encountered a problem with this book that we are working to fix. Please try again later.<br />
E/com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.reading.tablet.EPubViewerTablet( 2633): com.kobobooks.vmborders.android.KoboException: Failed to decrypt data.<br />
....                                                              <br />
Reinstallation hepled.
[/quote]

I'm having this exact same issue and reinstalling doesn't help...

·
Registered
39 Posts
Same problem for me. I have Kobo 2.6.341 and it was working til yesterday. I have tried reverting to the old version, reinstalling the new, re-flashing my PDN 3 times, and reinstalling again, but keep getting "We encountered a problem with this book that we are working to fix. Please try again later" even with books I was already reading. My library has re-downloaded 4 times in the process, it makes no difference.

What is Borders doing about it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same issue with the new OPS firmwares, running 1/14 with 2d/3d driver and can only open sample books. I called borders and got the standard response, re-install and you need to contact Pandigital.. I have the following reader working Kindle, Laputa, Alidiko, BN

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an open ticket with Borders online. First pass said delete all local data, signout and signin. Of course the app doesn't work that way. We'll see what the second pass offers. Meantime, I think it will just be safer to avoid Borders altogether and get my e-books from Kindle or Nook stores. Of the five books I had from Kobo, only 1 was purchased. The others were freebies or samples. I'm not nuts about losing money for the 1 but it is only 1. Good thing this didn't happen months from now, when I might have real money invested in it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I believe this to be related to the Market mod in my case.

If I do a fresh flash I can get working books every time - however as soon as I load a Market hack, Borders is no longer able to open books.

Sent from my PD_Novel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have borders running after I reinstalled 1/14 from pandigital
Installed Jaxbox market hack and replaced the framework.

Installed borders app from cruz market And all is good

Sent from my PD_Novel using Tapatalk
Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
No I don't think it's you. Just chiming in with additional confirmation. I've been running the original PDN firmwares up to 11/19. I would just remove the usrdata.img file. Then I'd put back on the fixes for rotation, notification,ect......

I now am running kewlguys 4.0M version. I went to this after first running 3.0. It works really well except for the Borders app now giving me the same error when opening a book. Tried a new book preview, no go. Seem to me the Serial number theory is the key here and switching to the OP firmwares has hosed up the functionallity.

I'm not going to buy any Borders books until they fix this issue in a coming release or one of our geniuses finds a solution.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I did try also installing the .apk I had used in the fall with 8/20/10 FW. But it made no difference. I also had to remove JIT from Roebeet's current FW today, because the Kindle app started acting up. Kindle app is now OK, but removing JIT didn't help Borders app.

I'm still waiting fro a new reply from Borders. They state they had assigned the case to Level2 Support, but now every time I check, the rep who it's been assigned to changes.

Yup, no more Kobo purchases til this resolves.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I had several responses throughout yesterday from Kobo Level 2 Support. After all was said and done, They did not tell me what the problem was, but did say there would b a new beta coming out soon, and invited me to participate in that, which of course I accepted. in the meantime they also offered to refund me the price of the book I bought, although I haven't seen it come through just yet.

·
Registered
116 Posts
[quote author=harkerad link=topic=5344.msg133708#msg133708 date=1297137531]
moved to one of the gurus 1/21 OP firmwares without market. No market no problem. If we ever solve this issue and more importanly the sleep issue I'll install market again.
[/quote]

I've been griping about Borders v. Market for a long time - I think that I've solved it...at least for me.

It has all come down to install order:

Prep:
1 - Delete any Borders and Kindle folders from your SDcard
2 - Log into your Amazon account and deregister any Android devices listed

Install:
1 - Flash with Robeet's OP firmware with GAPPS http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?topic=15204.0 DO NOT INSTALL ANYTHING UNTIL AFTER MARKET IS WORKING.
2 - After reboot, follow the standard Non-Ugly method to get working Market
3 - After Market is fully working, restore original framework.jar from the official PanDigital firmware
4 - Replace the libdvm.so with JIT with the libdvm.so with NO JIT from http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/14597-dvm-optimized-libdvmso-no-jit-for-wpdn-v1-kindle-google-books-compatibility/page__p__129128__hl__%2215977%22__fromsearch__1#entry129128
5 - Install your readers (Borders, Kindle, etc.)

Using this method, I have Market, Borders, B&N, Moon +, Aldiko and Kindle all co-existing peacefully. I did run into the book reading error with Borders once, but logging out of the Borders app and then logging back in fixed it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where did you get the original framework.jar from the official PanDigital firmware file from?

·
Registered
116 Posts
[quote author=DVD2955 link=topic=5344.msg134046#msg134046 date=1297207567]
Where did you get the original framework.jar from the official PanDigital firmware file from?
[/quote]

I downloaded the 1/27 firmware from the Pandigital site, extracted out the system.img and then expanded it with Unyaffs (which you can download here - http://www.box.net/shared/1eighqsh4s). It's in the framework folder.

I've put the framework.jar in my public DropBox as well - http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3881921/framework.jar

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.