Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been able to access the boot-loader/system recovery screen by holding down the power button and the menu button at the same time, unfortunately I have yet to figure out how to navigate and select any options. options are 1. reboot system now (default) 2. apply sdcard:update.zip 3. wipe data/factory reset 4. wipe cache partition. I have tried numerous button combinations but to no avail, maybe using a mouse.....but I figure fifty minds is better than one, so if any one out there can figure it out please post a reply.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was able to factory reset my tablet. I can repeatedly factory reset now that I have figured out the process and key combination. Instructions:Settings, -> Privacy Settings, -> Factory data Reset (SELECT).There are 2 prompts that you will be presented with. After selecting the final WARNING that your Google Accounts, etc will be removed it will instantly shut off. *IT MAY RANDOMLY RE-START* I've noted... so be fast! for the next step!...Press and HOLD the HOME button (2nd button from the right) You should see the Gentouch 78 boot screen and then the penguin ( WHILE STILL HOLDING HOME BUTTON ) after about a moment, you will see an Android and a FAST progress indication/indicator and a fast reboot. Once the tablet has rebooted let go of all buttons and allow to boot.It should boot back up and then start a setup process that asks a question between two choices to provision the device. After selecting one or the other you are then launched into Android/Google Setup that is a Tutorial and/OR Google Account setup. The only difference I have noted in option#1 or option#2 of provisioning is that option #2 will eventually ask you if you would like to connect to Wifi after communication fails several times. option#1 does not seem to have this property and never asks to connect to Wifi during intial provisioning. However you can skip out of the Tutorial/Google Account Setup most of the time on both choices and setup your Wifi in Settings. I seen some other forum posting that this was a Froyo version - (what this process results).... I simply call this getting the unit to RESET as many say is useless or can not. I am not claiming this is a different installation for this unit, though it looks very CLEAN to me. No applications, except the google apps. hmmmm GOOD LUCK! Hope this helps to get a clean image or something. AGAIN ALL I HAD ACCESS TO WERE GOOGLE APPS. Market WAS included, but suffers the same problem as previously noted even after the RESET. I did not have anything like pulling this unit out of the box as. ;-) Without going through the process and simply just pressing and holding the home key while turning the unit on will present you with this RESTORE MENU in which you can not select anything - as we all know.I did try holding the power button while holding the home button, but found the power button is actually useless in the process. I also tried holding the back button (1st from the right) while turning the unit on. This results in a black screen that you have to use a thumb-tack to push the tiny reset button to resolve. This would appear as it would drain your battery as the LCD backlight does appear to be on. I do not know what would happen if your battery drains in this state, so reset the tablet using the reset button if you ever get presented with any BLACK or FROZEN screens. It seems only the HOME button is useful during boot and expressly only useful in THIS situation (factory tablets without prior modification) and only IF you initiated the reset as described. I was able after issuing the adb commands again as root (sudo) to kill-server and start-server to use adb to access the unit again after using this RESET method many times and browse around without any issues. I use Linux Mint 9 32bit at the moment to toy with this device.I have read that many have found new issues with Market, possibly with cache space issues. So I have not even attempted the modifications other than making sure I could adb back into the unit, which again I could.Regards. thomasrelee

·
Registered
12 Posts
thomasrelee;28823 said:
Once the tablet has rebooted let go of all buttons and allow to boot.It should boot back up and then start a setup process that asks a question between two choices to provision the device. After selecting one or the other you are then launched into Android/Google Setup that is a Tutorial and/OR Google Account setup. The only difference I have noted in option#1 or option#2 of provisioning is that option #2 will eventually ask you if you would like to connect to Wifi after communication fails several times. thomasrelee
Is this the screen with the two choices to provision the device? I got this screen but can't get passed it. Any suggestions??

·
Registered
5 Posts
mbroderick;29240 said:
Is this the screen with the two choices to provision the device? I got this screen but can't get passed it. Any suggestions??
Hi, That is not the "provisioning" screen that I was referring to, I will post some pictures, as I am going through this reset again for you to help you out...Pictures to come... I did notice a quirk this last time too! Out of all of the things I did to the tablet, ROOTING (Superuser v2.2.2 / su v2.2-ef) remained after the RESET/RESTORE procedure - whereas everything else seems to have been removed except Google Applications as previously stated.Thomasrelee...

·
Registered
5 Posts
mbroderick;29240 said:
- "Provisioning Screen" This is where I was referring to choosing option#2,(Setup Wizard) and not option#1 (com.android.provision.DefaultActivity) as this is where I've noted it will eventually ask you if you'd like to connect to Wifi (Assuming you are trying to enter a Google Account during this Setup Wizard that is... ) - Screen that you've asked about... There is two things I found is an option at this screen you have shown. You can press the MENU button (LEFT-MOST button on back) to activate a lower menu. It is for "Wireless Settings." These settings look more "Mobile Network (phone-like)" and probably should not be confused with "Wifi" If you do not hold the MENU button long enough it will do nothing. If you hold it too long, it will pull up the on-screen keyboard. The proper timing will activate the lower menu. If you do enter the Wireless Settings, the BACK button will escape back to the "Touch the android to begin" screen.ORYou must Touch the Android
...This is where the orientation changes to Portrait... - After touching the Android it should start a Setup/Tutorial. There should be a SKIP button lower left of the touch-screen. - Then you are presented with a Google Account screen. The third button down should be a SKIP button. - Then you are presented with a Google Location screen. Make your selections accordingly. As a privacy nut, you already know my answers here.... hehe Make your decisions based on your feelings/beliefs here...continued in next post...thomasrelee

·
Registered
5 Posts
mbroderick;29240 said:
- Then you are presented with a Time and Date Setup screen. I have my home network setup behind a Linux firewall/router that acts as my networks NTP Server Relay. I am unsure if that is why AUTO didn't work here for me, but, I did have to manually make my selections here. Your results may vary. - For some reason Google Account Setup screen is displayed again. This time, in PORTRAIT mode. Once you have reached this point... - Pressing your HOME button (second from right) should rid you of this screen at this time. You can not do this when you see the Google Account Setup in Landscape mode (like you've posted), only in Portrait mode. If you press the HOME button too long you will get a overlay that says NO RECENT APPS. - This should be your fresh desktop! Hope this helps! - The glitch I noted after the RESET this time was ROOTING remained. (Superuser v2.2.2 / su v2.2-ef) Please note that I had not Rooted the tablet until yesterday and at this point do not care why it was not removed with the RESET. ;-)I did successfully ROOT the tablet. I did successfully get Market working with the provided workarounds and had fun finally getting at some apps. THESE tasks are somewhat more technical depending on your personal computer/os and java requirement to run the Android Emulator, SDK and/or ADB. I don't have the luck of having a Micro- card laying around, I have plenty of Mini's... haha I had to improvise with running ADB as ROOT and finding writable directories to store the apk's -- used while ROOTING and FIXING MARKET. Any further instructions I'd give would wander off the path of the posted instructions in the augendev.wikispaces.com or here at SlateDROID in regards to ROOTING or FIXING MARKET. And, please understand that the Market Fix Is Not a Fix!, it is a work-around that requires ADB to re-activate needed changes each time the tablet is re-booted if you wish to download from the Market again after rebooting the tablet. Regards, thomasrelee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.