Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's my first attempt at something like this, so be gentle. I'm getting a nasty white flash at the start of the loop on my gTab, but they looked fine during preview before transferring and haven't figured it out yet, any ideas?(fixed)

I stole an image of Lloyd from Android Central and started playing around with it (see my avatar). I started out using it to try and learn the capabilities of Gimp and it just grew from there into this boot animation. It's larger than I'd like, almost 3Mb, so it's having to be uploaded to a host (sorry!). I used png files and I hadn't tried converting to and using jpg yet to see if it will work or not. If it does, I'll re-upload here if it's any smaller. Still, it's much smaller than what I'd come up with originally - I got a little carried away.
The files are all 512x300 and the desc.txt file is set up to display at 1024x600, 24fps for our gTabs.

Considering most of us are running something other than the stock OS/software on our gTabs, I thought this fit well. I haven't figured out how to make a gif preview yet but I've been using BootAnimationPreview from (that other site) to track progress and look at others as well.

Presenting: Lloyd, the Android with Attitude.

My gTab folder on fileserve

Let's see what you've got!

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Nice find and a neat bootani...

·
Registered
40 Posts
It's my first attempt at something like this, so be gentle. I'm getting a nasty white flash at the start of the loop on my gTab, but they looked fine during preview before transferring and haven't figured it out yet, any ideas?

I stole an image of Lloyd from Android Central and started playing around with it (see my avatar). I started out using it to try and learn the capabilities of Gimp and it just grew from there into this boot animation. It's larger than I'd like, almost 3Mb, so it's having to be uploaded to a host (sorry!). I used png files and I hadn't tried converting to and using jpg yet to see if it will work or not. If it does, I'll re-upload here if it's any smaller. Still, it's much smaller than what I'd come up with originally - I got a little carried away.
The files are all 512x300 and the desc.txt file is set up to display at 1024x600, 24fps for our gTabs.

Considering most of us are running something other than the stock OS/software on our gTabs, I thought this fit well. I haven't figured out how to make a gif preview yet but I've been using BootAnimationPreview from (that other site) to track progress and look at others as well.

The white flash is probably from the hidden thumbs.db file windows drops in. Take that out and your golden

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just downloaded Blender on Sunday. Been trying to figure it out, steep learning curve. I've been able to render a bottle fairly well. I'm going to try and figure out how to attach a label to the side (Android Ale). Next will be animating smoke. I think making the bottle will turn out to have been the easy part.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just downloaded Blender on Sunday. Been trying to figure it out, steep learning curve. I've been able to render a bottle fairly well. I'm going to try and figure out how to attach a label to the side (Android Ale). Next will be animating smoke. I think making the bottle will turn out to have been the easy part.
Coolness! Maybe I oughta.... nah, I had a hard enough time grasping working in layers, masks and alpha channels in Gimp. (still, it beats laying out graphic screens on the old CoCo one pixel at a time in hex)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Built the android guy and did a quick honeycomb floor. Starting to get the hang of it now.
That is actually pretty damn cool!
If the smoke doesn't look cheesy, this could be a real contender.

Although, I think Andy should be looking at you. And maybe he could be riding the bottle? (lol)

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is actually pretty damn cool!
If the smoke doesn't look cheesy, this could be a real contender.

Although, I think Andy should be looking at you. And maybe he could be riding the bottle? (lol)
LOL I thought about Andy on the bottle too. I have a camera move in mind which would start on the floor, move in and pan up to Andy, then pan over to the smoking bottle. So far, good smoke has eluded me.

·
Registered
179 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am not an artist at all, but I do great search!

Here you go: Blender Smoke Tutorial
And here: Another tutorial
And one more: Last but not least
Thanks for the links. I have watched the first two before but hadn't seen the last. I think the problem lies in the UI saves any of my changes and I hit a button that doesn't allow me to see the renders. I can see them in the workspace, they just don't translate to the final product. I think my next step is to clean install the program onto a faster 64bit machine I have and start fresh. I will import the bottle and Andy though since that shouldn't effect any settings.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Well work kept me from any progress for several days, but I think I have figured out smoke. I still have to do some tweaking (mainly to slow it down and give it a lazy feel) but I can move on to animate Andy, fix the floor, change the lighting and work on the real camera move I've been thinking of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most boot animations I have found play in portrait. Does the text file in the zip folder tell it to do that or is it the actual orientation of the images?

·
225 Posts
It's my first attempt at something like this, so be gentle. I'm getting a nasty white flash at the start of the loop on my gTab, but they looked fine during preview before transferring and haven't figured it out yet, any ideas?(fixed)

This is GREAT! How do I install this?

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's not too bad but DO take your time.
Create your own boot animation on your PC or use one that has been suppied to you. (Make sure your pictures are in png format.) Then using your PC, download root explorer, transfer to your gtab, and install it on your gtab.
Using your PC, download whatever boot animation that you intend on using. (It needs to be a zip file if not already.)

Transfer the bootanimation.zip file into your gtab then go into root explorer and copy the bootanimation.zip file you just transfered into your gtab to the "system/media" directory in your root directory.

At the top of the root explorer program, press the button that says "R\W".(read/write) It should change to "R/O". (read only) Paste the bootanimation.zip file you just copied and replace the bootanimation.zip file already in there. (unless you want to save that one for later, in that case you should copy it to a backup folder for animations you create somewhere that is conveinent for you) Your SD or microSD cards are usually the BEST places. Then just reboot, pat yourself on the back and be sure and thank whoever composed the pictures in the animation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is just a quick one which I originally created for my A500. Decided to port it over to my GTab. Someone might like it. NOTE...... the animation on your GTab runs slightly faster than the GIF..... The two black lines at top & bottom of the GIF do NOT appear in the anim.

Preview GIF

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is just a small one I did for me to remind me of home.

Preview GIF

Usual caveat.....rename to bootanimation.zip.....put in either of these two folders /data/local OR /system/media.....don't forget if you want to keep the one already there then rename it before you copy this new one.....I take no responsibility if you brick blah, blah, blah.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts