Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
i'll update this post as I find out more information as an easy frame of reference. I have a black PDN in my possession and am attempting to get more technical information on it, as well as hack into it.Instructions on how to hack the black PDN, to run additional applications:Pre-requisites: The same ADB setup that you would need on the white PDN (I won't go into that, here - there are other threads on how to do that). Also, a working WiFi connection on your Black PDN (BPDN) as you will need that to access your device from your PC.1. Learn how to update your firmware first. I cannot stress this enough because it's the only way you'll be able to back out of this change if something goes wrong. It's a PITN to do firmware updates, so be warned - see the Pandigital site for instructions on how to do this.2. Once you've mastered the art of BPDN firmware updates, head on over here to grab my ZIP:Link: BPDN_files.zipDrop this file into the same folder as your ADB command, and expand it there.3. Setup your WiFi on your BPDN (if you haven't already done this) and jot down your IP address. This information will be in the advanced network settings. ie: we'll assume 192.168.1.2, for our purposes here.4. Connect to ADB over WiFi: Syntax (and assuming that 192.168.1.2 is the device's IP address. Alter as needed):adb connect 192.168.1.2:5555adb devicesThe latter command should say that you are connected.5. Install the volume hack. Syntax:adb push s3c-button.kl /system/usr/keylayout/s3c-button.kladb shell chmod 777 /system/usr/keylayout/s3c-button.kladb shell chown system.system /system/usr/keylayout/s3c-button.kl6. Install the (barely) functional launcher replacement. Syntax:adb install com.simplehome.apkPower down the device / hard reset. At the next boot up, it will ask you which launcher to use, and choose "Simple Home". If you are looking at the device with the Pandigital logo right side up, the left volume key is BACK and the right volume key is MENU.7. Installing additional applications.We're now at the point when you will probably decide to return this thing -- unlike the white PDN, this device is using Android 1.5. A lot of the apps listed in this forum flat-out do not work, because of this. It's going to be very hit or miss for you, from this point on. I cannot even get into the Settings menu to add/remove apps or add USB Debugging. Many thanks to clockworx, who pointed out to me that you could run ADB over WiFi. Without that information, I would not have been able to do this.----------------------------------------------Applications attemptedACV - installs but does not run properly.Aldiko - installs and runs. Seems to work quite well.last.fm - installs, untestedtapatalkpro - installs, untestedbTunes - does not install (needs 1.6+? Not certain)IMDB - does not installPandora - installs, works OK. Audio was clear, no dropouts in limited testing.Facebook - installs, untestedSetCPU - does not installLinpack - installs and runs OKQuadrant - installs but does not work---------------------------------------Device InformationRAM: 128MB
Code:
# cat /proc/meminfoMemTotal:       114036 kBMemFree:          4380 kBBuffers:          6696 kBCached:          39648 kBSwapCached:          0 kBActive:          83140 kBInactive:        10360 kBSwapTotal:           0 kBSwapFree:            0 kBDirty:              24 kBWriteback:           0 kBAnonPages:       47180 kBMapped:          31152 kBSlab:             6444 kBSReclaimable:     3164 kBSUnreclaim:       3280 kBPageTables:       4656 kBNFS_Unstable:        0 kBBounce:              0 kBWritebackTmp:        0 kBCommitLimit:     57016 kBCommitted_AS:  2715788 kBVmallocTotal:   401408 kBVmallocUsed:     55100 kBVmallocChunk:   304124 kB
CPU: Similar to the white PDN?
Code:
# cat /proc/cpuinfoProcessor	: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 6 (v6l)BogoMIPS	: 33.17Features	: swp half thumb fastmult vfp edsp java CPU implementer	: 0x41CPU architecture: 7CPU variant	: 0x0CPU part	: 0xb76CPU revision	: 6Cache type	: write-backCache clean	: cp15 c7 opsCache lockdown	: format CCache format	: HarvardI size		: 16384I assoc		: 4I line length	: 32I sets		: 128D size		: 16384D assoc		: 4D line length	: 32D sets		: 128
Kernel: It's Android 1.5. Confirmed.
Code:
# cat /proc/versionLinux version 2.6.27 ([email protected]) (gcc version 4.3.1 (for S3C64XX Samsung Electronics AP Development Team) ) #535 Wed Aug 4 17:49:35 CST 2010
Linpack: MFLOPS 2.119Quandrant: Doesn't work. :-(-------------------------------------------------------------------Pros on the Black, with stock firmware. - WiFi seems much improved. Quick to connect on my WPA2 router during power up, and even after going to sleep.- Overall UI seems more streamlined, even in simple things like the PC Mode and "SD card being read" message. - Smaller device, but same screen size as the white PDN.- Hard reset is part of the power button. No more needing a paper clip.- Tactile WiFi on/off is a great idea. Points for that.- Music SQ. I think it beats out the white PDN. The white has a bit of a "fuzzy" sound that the black does not.Cons on the Black, with stock firmware. - Reading the SD card takes a ridiculously long time. For my 16GB card, I've seen it sit there for 5 minutes or longer. It's really bad.- "My Library" does not show any of my local epubs and I have not found a way to add them, yet (it seems that the Black device is more heavily integrated with B&N). In comparison, my local epubs are read immediately after I reflash my white PDN firmware. Even when going into the ereader app, I have yet to find a way for it to find my local epubs.- 128MB RAM. What this means is that it's never going to support Android 2.x, as the RAM is too low.- Video playback is pretty bad. Very choppy and, unlike the white PDN, it doesn't even resize to full screen. In comparison, the white PDN (if not resizing) is very smooth on the same videos. - Swiping action is inferior to the white PDN. Much harder to use with your finger, so I can see why they supply a stylus with this device. It's noticably different - ie. swiping through their user manual is quite difficult.- The device seems to get hung every time I power it off. (requiring a hard reset)- The firmware upgrade process is difficult, to say the least. If you thought the white PDN was bad, just wait until you try it on the black PDN. Ugh.- After you connect / disconnect the device from your PC, it auto-reboots. Not liking that.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my intention from the beginning. I was only going to keep it if there was something "magical" in this device that I was not aware of. I actually feel fairly justified in returning it - it's really crapola. Simple things like powering on the device are a chore, I'm dead serious. And the hardware is definitely inferior to the white one - it just feels cheap. And the screen is not the same - harder to swipe, just like Engadget mentioned.If I was going to pay $150+ for a retail tablet / reader, I'd buy a Gentouch instead. At least its video playback is good.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I'm nitpicking, but I don't think the kernel being 2.6.27 necessarily confirms 1.5, as we've seen that Froyo can run on our 2.6.29 when 2.6.32 is supposed to be the "proper" version.But in light of the build.prop as well, I'd say it's 1.5 either way, so yes, I truly am nitpicking

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, the build.prop really tells the tale, but the kernel version is the final nail in the coffin, plus the 128MB RAM. It has to be Cupcake..27 is Cupcake, .29 is Donut and Eclair and .32 is Froyo.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I replaced the default launcher ("Home.apk") with Cupcake's Launcher.apk, but it's getting hung at start. So far, I have not been able to force it to choose another launcher and removing Home.apk effectively bricks the device. The framework must be locked down tight.Getting a "process android.process.acore has stopped unexpectedly".EDIT: The flashing process is, imo, the WORST I have ever seen in my life. I am a sysadmin, and fairly technical, and this is just painful. For anyone trying this, I believe that you have to hold the power and vol up buttons for exactly 5 seconds. Any more and it doesn't work. And, once you flash it it wipes the firmware file (which I suppose could be a good thing, but not for me at this exact moment).EDIT 2: This seems to work if the system is hung (which seems to be whenever you power it off - I'm not joking). 1) Hold the power button for about 8 seconds. 2) release, then hold the power and vol up buttons for 5 seconds, then release. You should see the "RDU Version" sentence a second later and the firmware update takes about 60 seconds. You should also see a status at the bottom of the screen.EDIT 3: I think I know why the other launchers are failing -- "INSTALL_FAILED_OLDER_SDK". I guess I need to find a 1.5 Launcher, assuming they even exist.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
blazingwolf;49814 said:
build.props can be changed to say any thing. While evidence is mounting that it is indeed 1.5 the build.prop does not prove it alone.
While the build.prop can be changed to say anything, it is used to ensure that running apps are at the correct version. That's why it had to be changed for GE (where we only had the choice of 2.1 files). If you left it at the 2.0 version, none of the apps show up due to "improper version" or something, which can be seen in logcat. So having it at 1.5 is pretty much a guarantee.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Via WiFi, only. I can't get into the settings to enable USB Debugging (assuming that's what's missing). Btw, the vast majority of the apps I use on my white PDN will not install on this, because of the older SDK. Even if I manage to get an alternate launcher working, the amount of time / effort to get 1.5 capable apps on this thing won't be worth it, imo.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That command didn't work.I have Panda Home working (somewhat - it tends to crash). Does anyone know how to get into the settings, in Cupcake? So far, the volume hack is not working. EDIT: Got it... the kb file is a different name, in this device.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I made a keyhack. Unzip and push both those files to /system/usr/keylayout (My guess is you might only need the s3c one, but I included the other just in case. You can try the s3c one only first if you want.) You'll need to reboot for it to take effect.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it's the s3c file, but the darn Panda Home is crashing over and over. It's not looking good.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
[quote name='roebeet;49935]I think it's the s3c file' date=' but the darn Panda Home is crashing over and over. It's not looking good.[/QUOTE'] I'm not sure why you're messing with it still after discovering how bad it is, but hey, do whatcha like :pVVVVV CrapTACular

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
craptastic.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's in my hand, so I just want to finish this up and put it to bed. We probably have a few people who own the black PDN and I'd like to offer up a solution for them, if I can.

·
Registered
666 Posts
So does this mean the value of the white ones will go up?

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.