Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just joined here after seeing the scathing review of the PDN on Attack of the Show on G4. They ripped it apart! But after doing a bit of research, I can see that with these hacks, it looks like a pretty damn good reader, which is exactly what I'm looking for for my fiance since she's still reading txt files on her GBA :eek: So, the question is, can the black PDN be hacked or am I better off getting a white one from BBB? Any help in this decision would be greatly appreciated :)Wulife

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Read here for what is known so far.http://www.slatedroid.com/pandigita...970-firmware-black-pandigital-now-online.html[quote name='geebekazoo;47692]As of now' date=' no one has figured out a way to hack the Black unit. Get your fiance a white one while they're still available, and get one for yourself too![/QUOTE'] According to firmware adb should work fine, but I'd say White is still the better hacking model.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wulfie,Current consensus on the PDN Forum here (amongst the devs and their following lurkers) seems to be that the black, based on its specs, is not hackable. Actually, no one here (or not many; you could contact nate hoffelder, since he has one, but is apparently restrained from commenting on it until, umm, around now, actually) has shelled out for the black yet (someone make me a liar by chiming in saying that you have it; it's inevitable). Nobody here seems to want to waste time on the hackability of the black due to its specs ,which are substantially different, or different enough, from those of the white, to mess with it. From what I gather, PD dumbed the black down compared to the white. If you want to apply the hacks as developed in this forum, you'll have to pick up a white one.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the tips guys, I guess my next question is what reader apk is best? i've been looking at aldiko, does it have a 'night' reading mode? My fiance prefers white text on a black background. Also, what's a good app to convert .txt to something that PDN can use, i.e. allows for book covers, etc.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The black one has issues out of the box with ADB access that no one has resolved, yet. Compounded with that are the different specs - we know that the black one is Android 1.5 (not 2.0 like the white one) and it may have less RAM on board. Yes, you are paying the same money for less hardware. Given all that, plus the fact that it hasn't found it's way to many retailers yet, does not bode well for it.If my local BJ's ever gets them in stock, I might get one just to look it over. But I doubt that I'd keep it.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I just added a new thread with suggestions - figured it would be better to create a new thread so it's more visible. Untested suggestions, I might add.

·
Registered
338 Posts
jackbox;47822 said:
The black one is a POS. Get the white one while you still can.
exactly! With the very close arrival of tom3q 2D/3D hw accelerated driver and 2.1...2.2, I started worrying whether the white PDN could be discontinued, any day now. HWgeek who works on putting the mic into the PDN right now, effectively turning PDN into a dorky Shrekphone, should probably buy some stock of these whites and start a very profitable modding business.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.