Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Novel is beyond bricked and I need help, please. Before anyone yells, yes, I did do a search but I didn't find anything helpful. The unit will not turn on ... and when I plug in the power cord it doesn't even indicate that it's getting a charge. Reset does no good. I can't re-flash because I can't get the unit up. The novel is rooted and the basic hacks have been applied--no Market or Google Experience. The 8/20 firmware has been installed for days and functioning fine. I was last installing BarControl 1.1.0 via ADB when the unit died. Any ideas?

·
Registered
97 Posts
It is probably stuck in really dim mode. You can only see it by going in a closet with the light off. If you see nothing slide the switch and look again. If you have a brightness widget manipulate it until you can turn the backlight on again... A number of people...myself included have experienced this.. It happened to me almost 2 months ago when it was all very new..... I ended up reflashing it to factory defaults... Which is always an option...PUt a PanDigital complete firmware flash... 8/20 or 8/06 ... on the sdcard.... Go in the closet.... Hold down power and volume up for 10 seconds....... Then wait for at least a minute. The little android should pop up....Good luck

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Additional: One way to know if the device is working is to connect it to your PC - do you get the PD_Novel drive attached? Then it's not bricked and possibly dimly lit, as mentioned by cosmos.But, going on your post, I'm thinking that it might be dead in the water (ie. no charging light). Did you have a power surge? I'm wondering if the device got fried. Also, you might want to try unplugging the battery / replugging.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thank you both for responding. The display is not dim (as I wish that were the problem), but I tried to reflash again and no luck. When I connect to my PC I get nothing. There was no power surge that I know of. So no PC connection and no charge indicator leads me to believe it's gone to eReader heaven. One minute the unit is fine and then BAM! it went down, apparently never to come back up again. I'm afraid (ok, really really hesitant) to remove the back covers. As much as I hate to, I think I might have to try to exchange it for another at my retailer.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Removing the cover is fairly easy - on the top area (near the logo) use a small flat-head screwdriver (or one of this plastic iPod openers, if you have one) to loosen it, then push down to open it - there's tape attaching it so it's harder the first time. Once off, you'll see the battery connection - BE VERY CAREFUL and don't pull on it by the cables! Use a very small flat-head screwdriver to carefully loosen it, then pull it off.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Roebeet -- I was highly skeptical. But I tried your suggestion and it worked!!!! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Interestingly enough, there was very little resistance when I removed the back cover ... makes me wonder if I got a returned (used) unit when I made my purchase. Anyway, thanks again!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Mine has also done this, reset does no good. Disconnecting battery and reconnecting allowed it to power on normally. The battery plug in mine was tight, I had to wiggle it lose with a foriegn object

·
Registered
425 Posts
Don't worry about the cover coming off easily. It seems that PD changed philosiphy mid-stream and the user guide now has back removal as part of their end user problem determination process. From what I've read it seems that later production has easier to remove backs.Sent from my sec_smdk6410

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
no tape on the newer pdns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
There was about a 1" strip of tape on the right hand side of my unit ... I kept accidentally resting on it when I was trying to loosen the battery cable which was very snug ... but the tape wasn't as big as an issue as I thought it would be based on earlier posts. Nvrpayretail must be right about PDN's process re-think. Thanks again for everyone's help!

·
Registered
361 Posts
[quote name='nchntrman;49376]snip The battery plug in mine was tight' date=' I had to wiggle it lose with a foreign object [IMG]http://www.slatedroid.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE'] What, you used like a French screwdriver, or German knife?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Russian axe, lol. Sure, I would love to see any and all photos, with all the doodled out areas of maximum resistance to prying, plus small pieces, tongues, latches that can be easily broken. Earlier photos of WiFi card weren't clear whether the opening was big enough to set AUX antenna without also prying off that dark grey cover, what's the deal with AUX in your opinion?

·
Premium Member
2,338 Posts
It's that or the 3-handed flash with a paperclip.  If we knew what did it, we probably would tell you not to do whatever it was you did.... probably.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.