Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
So, I recently hacked my firmware and made some changes. One of those was renaming the phone.apk to phone.old. I am not sure what all this does but I am fairly certain that standby battery time has been GREATLY improved. I went to bed last night (8 hours ago) and hadn't charged my device all day. I had't used it very heavily either though (some light gaming and I read a magazine and some books using nook). Anyhow, it has been unplugged since 8:00 am yesterday morning and I forgot to charge it last night. It is still on this morning! Granted, it only has about 10% battery life left BUT I had done this before and it had definitely died overnight. I am getting more than the advertised 24 hrs of Standby Time. Anyhow, I will package the firmware up and post it in the main firmware thread today.

This WILL inhibit the use of USB 3G dongles though, so be aware.

I am excited to see that this hack works on the RK2918 platform. I recently ordered a Meiying Phantom M11 (they are supposed to be very nice) so that I can offer an 8" product. It is based on the same chipset so hopefully I can hack its firmware as well.

Cheers,

Roman

http://topnotchtablets.com

EDIT: My "better battery life" firmware for the i7 is now available in the Firmware thread.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why not offer the Wopad i8? Same chipset, better resolution, better build.
Actually, build quality was my concern and BATTERY LIFE was my bigger concern. I wish I could offer the 1024x768 version of the Phantom M11 but alas they are no longer making them...

The I8 DOES have the same chipset and it does have a better resolution screen AND the price is lower! than the M11. However, that cost difference is made up somewhere...

Anyhow, I tried out an 8" RK2918 1024x768 8" device a month or two back. I didn't like it. My two complaints were build quality AND more seriously BATTERY LIFE... The Wopad i8 has a 4000 mAh battery and a higher-res screen (consumes more battery power to operate). The Phantom has a 5000mAh battery (2 x 2500) and the version I will be selling has a lower resolution screen. I am hoping to get very good battery life out of it.

Furthermore, I have gotten very good feedback from my supplier about the build quality of the Phantom. I will know in a few days when I get my sample device though but I am optimistic based on what they have told me.

In regards to the i8, I don't know about build quality. However, build quality is my chief (and really ONLY) complaint on the i7. The i7 is "okay" but it is "just" okay. It does feel a little "cheap" though. Having had such a bad experience with the last 8" device (I ended up canning the whole thing and not carrying that model because it wasn't up to my standards) I am leery of repeating the situation.

Please realize though that the build-quality on the i8 is still just speculation on my part. It might be at least as well-built or perhaps better than the i7. Like I said, the i7 is okay, so if it is at least comparable it will be okay. But I have had good reports on the Phantom from my supplier and also from the reviews in the other forum.

Anyhow, I am still looking into the i8 to possibly carry it in the future. For the time being though, I wanted to go with what, in my opinion, is a bit more of a known entity that should have significantly better battery life.

Thanks for the thoughts though
, I had really wrestled with this one before settling on the Phantom M11.

Cheers,

Roman

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi. Roman i have your firmware it's really good. Is there a chance to install chainfire driver? I can't do this because system partition is closed but It must be an option. Maybe i can put it inside a firmware in "system.img" or something.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I've flashed my i7 with this firmware, and it really does improve the battery life significantly! Really is quite amazing what such a relatively small tweak will do.
For some reason however, I've lost the ability to connect to my university wifi, which uses enterprise authentication (mschap), i can still connect to my home wifi however. Has the wifi configuration been changed at all in this firmware?
regards,
utilitybeltfred

·
Registered
40 Posts
Speaking of battery life, is it the same for you guys that charging via the USB cable only keeps the charge, not actually charges the device itself? Whether charging on my laptop or my desktop at work, it only ever seems to keep the same level of charge as when I plugged it in, not increasing the battery life by any measure.

Is it just my pad that's doing this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Speaking of battery life, is it the same for you guys that charging via the USB cable only keeps the charge, not actually charges the device itself? Whether charging on my laptop or my desktop at work, it only ever seems to keep the same level of charge as when I plugged it in, not increasing the battery life by any measure.

Is it just my pad that's doing this?
Yep, me too unfortunately. Hope I don't lose the wall charger.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts