Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,I'm still searching for a good PDF-reader.In the moment I'm using RepliGo (quite similar to DocumentsToGo) on my Android netbook. It is OK, but I miss bookmark functionality (remember where the last document was closed) and fullscreen mode (the notification bar remains).Any suggestions appreciated!Regards, Charly

·
Registered
56 Posts
[quote author=ch4rlii link=topic=69.msg491#msg491 date=1273931383]Hi,I'm still searching for a good PDF-reader.In the moment I'm using RepliGo (quite similar to DocumentsToGo) on my Android netbook. It is OK, but I miss bookmark functionality (remember where the last document was closed) and fullscreen mode (the notification bar remains).Any suggestions appreciated!Regards, Charly[/quote]Thinkfree Mobile is the best one in android , but it is a paid app

·
Registered
2 Posts
It would be very nice if someone would have some spare time and make a youtube movie in comparison of the various pdf reader apps for eken, that's the only thing i'm missing to see...in regard of speed of rendering and maybe functions (for a book of like 400 pages with some pictures)...Regards!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply's. But it would be still nice to see a video about the performance of the software...a little bit off topic, it would also be nice to see a video about creating/viewing a .doc (there is one on youtube), .xls ( haven't seen it) and .ppt (haven't seen it also)..Because, some people say that it's slow some that it is not and one doesn't know who to believe ;D ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Why not just use something like calibre to convert the .pdf books into .epub format? I dont have an eken yet but I would think it would be faster to load smaller .epub files that larger .pdf files which are not converted for smaller screens. Someone enlighten me?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There are loads of free PDFs out there, which are not available in other formats. For example here: http://www.scribd.com/But you're right! I converted some big PDFs to JPGs and viewed them with the Comic Viewer App. It is much faster and fullscreen!Edit:I finally found a reader which supports fullscreen and remembers what page you've read when closing:http://code.google.com/p/vudroid/downloads/listUnfortunatelly it is not 100% stable

·
Registered
150 Posts
tobias;3396]Why not just use something like calibre to convert the .pdf books into .epub format? I dont have an eken yet but I would think it would be faster to load smaller .epub files that larger .pdf files which are not converted for smaller screens. Someone enlighten me?[/QUOTE]I was hopeful about this possibility said:
There are loads of free PDFs out there, which are not available in other formats. For example here: http://www.scribd.com/ But you're right! I converted some big PDFs to JPGs and viewed them with the Comic Viewer App. It is much faster and fullscreen!
I like this idea. In addition, Google public domain books can be downloaded as a series of images through a Greasemonkey script -- I originally thought to convert them to a PDF via ImageMagick. However after viewing the images in a fast viewer, I realized it did essentially what Acrobat does, only much faster paging. A book can be saved as a directory of page images, I suppose, instead of a single pdf file. Another nice feature of doing it this way is you can add your own additional pages, edit the images and add notes, and you don't need to make screenshots of a page in a pdf to send it to someone, each page is already an image.
Edit:I finally found a reader which supports fullscreen and remembers what page you've read when closing:http://code.google.com/p/vudroid/downloads/listUnfortunatelly it is not 100% stable
I'm using this one right now and find it excellent so far. There's a zoom bar at the bottom of the screen you can just slide to enlarge or reduce, and a super simple interface. You can finger scroll right left and up and down. That's because it uses almost the full screen for reading. Simple yet it seems enough to get the job done. I like this much better than Docs to Go for viewing pdf files. I haven't seen any problems from and lack of "stability" yet.

·
Registered
390 Posts
The free PDF readers all seem pretty bad on the eken M001. Very slow at painting the screen. On a long pdf, it takes FOREVER. Ugly too. And no annotation tools. The book readers also have no annotation tools. Why with a touchscreen can't we get something that would allow marking up a document?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.