Android Tablets Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
You mention that you have to use PandaHome. You can actually use any home launcher. There are several of them. Launcher Pro and ADW launcher will allow you to switch to portrait with the accelerometer unlike OpenHome (not sure if PandaHome lets you do this or not).Otherwise, it looks pretty good to me though I could see a need to explain the command line a bit more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
blazingwolf said:
There are several of them. Launcher Pro and ADW launcher will allow you to switch to portrait with the accelerometer unlike OpenHome (not sure if PandaHome lets you do this or not).
I've been trying to use ADW on the Novel because I have ADW on my phone, but it seems to FC on acore often. Are you have the same problem?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,420 Posts
ver2go said:
I've been trying to use ADW on the Novel because I have ADW on my phone but it seems to FC on acore often. Are you have the same problem?
It will when you rotate to the left (the way the novel should rotate with the power hole down). It won't if you rotate to the right though. This happens with both ADW and Launcher Pro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Let it be known that I have tested this installation method and it works FLAWLESSLEY!

Pure fact, I am able to use android with screen rotation on my pandigital novel. It performs beautifully. Panda home is actually pretty damn cool and it also allows you to save the old pandigital home (why the hell you would want to use this now I have no idea). This is what the pandigital novel is suppose to be like. Thank you so much Nate for giving us the key to a better tablet with your guide.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
52 Posts
blazingwolf said:
You mention that you have to use PandaHome. You can actually use any home launcher. There are several of them. Launcher Pro and ADW launcher will allow you to switch to portrait with the accelerometer unlike OpenHome (not sure if PandaHome lets you do this or not).Otherwise it looks pretty good to me though I could see a need to explain the command line a bit more.
I picked Panda Home because it's free, accessible, and it worked for me. There are several home screens in the Marketplace, but I can't get to them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
very nice nate. the driver worked fine for me.I see there are a few newer versions of pandahome (v1.95 and pandahome2 v1.1), but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

I'm almost tempted to buy an android phone just so I can get access to all the apps through the market!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
so my droid is rooted, overclocked, custom rom'd.....what advantages do we get by rooting the Novel? i haven't read through the instructions yet, but i'm opening the zip now...is there anything that gives the Novel a speed jump?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Nate the Great, I tried to run your hacking setup. Didn't realize battery was almost dead, computer did find driver, prior to powering down, charged battery. Tried to remove driver. And started again clicked the on exe file, went to install "volume buttons", which novel was showing update with their scrolling bar , but, didn't see on the novel screen "success" or is this located somewhere else. tried to install "panda home" couldn't find some program to load it. Sorry for the confusion, I must be below an idiot thanks look foward to your reply
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
the volume hack is akin to the menu button on the droid? to access other settings? so if you install say ADW, you use the volume button to access the menu settings....how do you control volume after this hack if you are say playing music or movies??AND WHAT ABOUT SPEED!!!!! lol. i just want the Novel to respond quicker....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
JoeProcopio said:
the volume hack is akin to the menu button on the droid? to access other settings? so if you install say ADW you use the volume button to access the menu settings....how do you control volume after this hack if you are say playing music or movies??AND WHAT ABOUT SPEED!!!!! lol. i just want the Novel to respond quicker....
you can change the volume level in the settings screen. a little inconvenient, but it works.as far as speed, imo the other home apps (pandahome, open home) are a lot more responsive than pd's. the tablet was usable with the default launcher, but with a replacement one, it is great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I can't thank you enough for this, Nate. This is just wicked awesome. Now if only more media player apps had on screen volume controls...sigh.Side questions: Is it possible to access eBooks from OpenHome? I can't find a reader with all the other icons. Also, is there anywhere out in the cloud to find an APK of the Kindle app outside of the Marketplace?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Is it possible to install more than one home? I have panda home on mine right now but I am curious on trying the other flavors without screwing up my novel.If I were to do a firmware restore for say a future firmware update, would I lose panda home and everything I installed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
592 Posts
tobias said:
Is it possible to install more than one home? I have panda home on mine right now but I am curious on trying the other flavors without screwing up my novel.
yep. when you boot it it asks you which launcher program to run. you can also set a different one to be the default.

tobias said:
If I were to do a firmware restore for say a future firmware update would I lose panda home and everything I installed?
most likely.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
derelicte;16829 said:
yep. when you boot it it asks you which launcher program to run. you can also set a different one to be the default.most likely.
How do I make more than one home show up at boot? Do I have to use an ADB command to do this or can I just install another home within the pandigital novel and have it show up at boot?.
 
1 - 20 of 241 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top