Android Tablets Forum banner

Battery replacement? Why not a portable charger? :)

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  exilaus 
#1 ·
Hello there, I just came up with the idea, why a better battery inside the tablet... if we can charge it again ang again and again with an external charger. I mean, something portable that connected to a tablet will charge it and give 2,10 times more battery power (using bigger batteries without mod the tablet). Does anyone know who to make one and will help with a tutorial? What you think?Sorry for my bad english :)

#2 ·
Hopefully I'll be able to report on a couple of possibilities in the next day or two:- I've found a USB to 9v cable intended for an Archos Jukebox, which I'll be trying with a 5v 3600mAH external battery- I've also ordered a 4000mAH battery which can output to 9vWhen I've tried them, I'll post...

#3 ·
I see your point, but then you have to carry around an extra charging device (battery powered charger if I understand you correctly). I would prefer a much improved battery life with the current battery (which is possible once a proper sleep mode is implemented through updated ROMs). Right now the idle process eats as much battery as a full blown app running, so we need to figure all that out (along with possible CPU throttling). Then we will see what additional chargers are needed.PS. My primary reason for purchase was for my daughter to use it in the car during long trips (the in laws live 3+ hours away). This way she can watch some cartoons, play some simple touch screen games, read some books, etc. Also, I can turn on MyFi on my iphone (wifi tethering app) and let the wife check some things online. I already have an inverter, so no additional charging accessory is necessary. My secondary reason for purchase was because I love the android OS and love to tinker with devices as well, this let's me do both. ;D

#4 ·
[quote author=hilltopper06 link=topic=253.msg2138#msg2138 date=1274828939]I see your point, but then you have to carry around an extra charging device (battery powered charger if I understand you correctly). I would prefer a much improved battery life with the current battery (which is possible once a proper sleep mode is implemented through updated ROMs).[/quote]Yeah, anyway is hard to find a battery that fits on the device without making a custom case.. I think is better to carry an extra charger than changing internal things in the device and soldering others (most people come here looking for improvements they can easy do). Again is just an idea, maybe someone who knows more about this can give us a hand

#5 ·
[quote author=jor3l link=topic=253.msg2135#msg2135 date=1274827357]I got the following reply on the "Search for replacement battery" thread from dkjab:"You can get External Battery Packs for Portable DVD Players, most of which are 9V 1.5A+.These go for around 30+ GBP.Check out EBay Item #150446160215"They seem generally available (although I've only found 1 model!) on the internet for about the same ebay price.I don't know if one of the supplied connectors would work, however.

#7 ·
Hey, guys.I was looking on ebay. Extra power and easy to carry around. How about this 2600mAh Solar Charger?http://cgi.ebay.ca/V2-2600mAh-Portable-Solar-Charger-Cell-Phone-iPhone-PDA_W0QQitemZ270584678867QQcategoryZ42428QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4340.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DDLSL%252BSI%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUCI%252BRTU%26otn%3D10%26pmod%3D270580352409%252B270580352409%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D8170595908737711518".........The listing that you bid is NEW portable mobile Aluminium Solar Charger with 2600mAh Lithium Battery. Its output voltage can be adjusted from 4.5V to 9V."What are you thinking? It can charge the EKEN easy with the 9V output.best regards

#8 ·
#9 ·
[quote author=AndyJenk link=topic=253.msg2188#msg2188 date=1274856010][quote author=jor3l link=topic=253.msg2135#msg2135 date=1274827357]I got the following reply on the "Search for replacement battery" thread from dkjab:"You can get External Battery Packs for Portable DVD Players, most of which are 9V 1.5A+.These go for around 30+ GBP.Check out EBay Item #150446160215"They seem generally available (although I've only found 1 model!) on the internet for about the same ebay price.I don't know if one of the supplied connectors would work, however.[/quote]I picked up this one, http://cgi.ebay.ie/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=310220969922&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:ITThe cable, without any of the connectors attached, makes a good connection with the Eken and I had no problems using it so far. The cable between the battery and the Eken Could be a bit longer though its only 250mm. One other point the battery I ordered was 39w one but the one I got has a sticker suggesting it holds 48w
. if it does I will be very happy as that would be more than 10 hours power for the lil slatedroid.

#10 ·
Solar batteries rock. You leave it in the car, charges the battery. Plug your junk in while driving, charges your junk. Take your junk and leave the battery in the car, recharges the battery. SCOOOOOORE!!!!!!

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.