Android Tablets Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I have my Eken open, I took the opportunity to measure the battery pack. It is 100mm x 62mm x 6mm. It's very definitely two cells wired together in series. Sorry, there is no visible catalog number or other identification.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Very good information, Donaldson! Now we can race to DX to check greater battery packs that match these size restrictions!I'm already doing that lol

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The original specs say 1800mah.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
[quote author=johankj link=topic=270.msg2874#msg2874 date=1275068373]But is is Li-Ion?http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30996Two of these in series gives (3.7V*2) 7.4V and 4600mAh (2300mAh*2).Dims are 96mm x 35mm x 5 mm(3.78 in x 1.38 in x 0.2 in) pr.[/quote]Correct me if I'm wrong, but no. In series, mah is uneffected, voltage is added together. In parallel, then you can add the mah together, but voltage stays the same..

·
Registered
157 Posts
But is is Li-Ion?http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30996Two of these in series gives (3.7V*2) 7.4V and 4600mAh (2300mAh*2).Dims are 96mm x 35mm x 5 mm(3.78 in x 1.38 in x 0.2 in) pr.
Thats Li-Ion. And what Donaldson said is correct /
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no. In series, mah is uneffected, voltage is added together. In parallel, then you can add the mah together, but voltage stays the same..

·
Registered
157 Posts
And here are some specs for the iPods/Iphones battery sizes:iPod Touch: 54.0 mm x 64.1 mm x 2.8 mmiPhone: 43.6 mm x 50.5 mm x 5.4 mmThe iPod Touch battery is rated at [email protected] and the iPhone's at [email protected] match at least one of the dimensions of the original battery pack, we'd have to use 4 iPod Touch batterieslike54mm x 64 mm x (2.8mm)+54mm x 64 mm x (2.8mm)=54mm x 64 mm x 5.6 mm 2 in series so far, to make up [email protected] 2 in top of one another(54mm) x 64 mm x 5.6 mm+(54mm) x 64 mm x 5.6 mm=108mm x 64 mm x 5.6mm => [email protected] Not much really but this mod is quite easy. Would just eat up 4 iPod Touch batteries (eBay sells OEM crappies each for 6USD with tools) to demonstrate that we can cram other batteries in it!Donaldson, I'm grateful that you have given the battery pack sizes but do you have a pic of the Eken opened on the battery side? Like to enlighten us what are the max dimensons we could use to put more batteries stacked..

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't have a photo of the whole battery end of things. But I have can tell you that the battery pretty much occupies all the area available to it. There might be a mm or 2 more there for height, but not for length or width. Guessing the max height is a bit difficult. But my sense of it is that the battery fills the space the height - there's really no "give" in the case. In fact, over the battery is the only place where the case feels really solid. Like I said, you might try to squeeze out a bit on the height, but for sure not the length nor width.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think it's probably important to note that the stock battery pack has a series protection PCB built into the pack. If you plan on building a new pack you will need to try to reuse that protection PCB or buy a new one. You can' just use two cells in series without it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
[quote author=itanium link=topic=270.msg2999#msg2999 date=1275086693]
But is is Li-Ion?http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30996Two of these in series gives (3.7V*2) 7.4V and 4600mAh (2300mAh*2).Dims are 96mm x 35mm x 5 mm(3.78 in x 1.38 in x 0.2 in) pr.
Thats Li-Ion. And what Donaldson said is correct /
Correct me if I'm wrong, but no. In series, mah is uneffected, voltage is added together. In parallel, then you can add the mah together, but voltage stays the same..
[/quote]Right you are Sir.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry to bump a somewhat oldish thread.So basically to get 4600mah you'd need to get 4x 3.7 2300mah and series two together then parallel both the series?From what you've said, this is how I understand it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
[quote author=donaldson link=topic=270.msg2278#msg2278 date=1274887121]Since I have my Eken open, I took the opportunity to measure the battery pack. It is 100mm x 62mm x 6mm. It's very definitely two cells wired together in series. Sorry, there is no visible catalog number or other identification.[/quote]Hi,What do you think about two like this? http://www.aliexpress.com/product-fm/312691596-CEL443493-1600mAh-7-4V-Li-polymer-rechargeable-battery-wholesalers.html 2 x (93x34x4,4mm) = 93x68x4,4mm Do you think 68 mm is possible?Sorry for my bad english

·
Registered
224 Posts
[quote name='donaldson;2958][quote author=johankj link=topic=270.msg2874#msg2874 date=1275068373]But is is Li-Ion?[URL=http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30996]DealExtreme: $8.93 3.7V 2300mAh Replacement Battery Pack for Dingoo A-320[/URL]Two of these in series gives (3.7V*2) 7.4V and 4600mAh (2300mAh*2).Dims are 96mm x 35mm x 5 mm(3.78 in x 1.38 in x 0.2 in) pr.[/quote]Correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but no. In series, mah is uneffected, voltage is added together. In parallel, then you can add the mah together, but voltage stays the same..[/QUOTE'] I too agree with that statement.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I agree :2 in serial give us double voltage but same mah!BTW: can you tell us what is the max space we have to fit these 2 batteries.There is always more space in the 3 dimensions.What I know is the dim vendors give you when you buy a battery is with the conections that take a lot of place.I rather prefer one battery of 7.4

·
Registered
150 Posts
As stated before you will need the batt protection circuit mentioned. There's almost certainly a center tap. 7.4 v packs tend to be thicker (since they are usually 2 cells piggybacked). You'll have to deal with all of these problems if you opt for a 7.4 pack. The manufacturer probably didn't go to 2 cells on a whim.Ideally in a high capacity modded job, people will get a real Lipo balance charger and pull the center tap out to a special charge connector. That's the safest way to go, and it will give you the longest battery life in terms of cycles, as well as shorter charge times. Pay attention to the C ratings of Lipos both for continuous rating, and for charge rate. 1C for a 3200 mah battery is a 3200 mah rate. So a 1C charge rate allows a 1 hour recharge, minimum at 3200 mah maximum.Lipos need a low voltage cutoff circuit, or they are damaged. Over-discharge can result in explosion or fire. Don't screw around if you don't know what you are doing.By the way, ever wonder why the Moonse has a 3000 mah pack and the Eken a 1600, yet they both get the same numbers of hours of run time? The Eken uses 7.4 V (2 cells) while I believe the Moonse uses 3.7 V (1 cell). If so, total watt hours is similar Eken = 7.4V x 1600 mah = 11.8 Wh. Moonse = 3.7 x 3000 mah = 11.1 Wh. Actually, the Eken has slightly more juice aboard than the Moonse. That's why it's important to look at not just the battery's amp hour specs when choosing a computer for long running time, but the operating voltage. One way to tell that is the power supply DC output, as marked on the wall wart. Generally a 9V wall wart is going to be powering a 2 cell lipo computer, while something about half that voltage is going to be powering a single Lipo cell design.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.